PDA

View Full Version : type s tranny

louiesi
05-24-2008, 06:33 AM
ok my civic has a horrible quarter mile time try 17.2 with a k&n intake my homie sugggest that i get the 6 speed type s tranny would help good idea? and any suggestions on how to get my time lower?

KevinEP3
05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
try the boost section. that will help your time.

kprocivic
05-24-2008, 10:51 AM
sounds like you just need more practice in your car.

antisocial
05-25-2008, 08:33 AM
6 speed trans will slow you down unless you are revving up to 7500 or so. you should be able to cut somewhere in the 15s with a stock ep, as long as you're not running on salty ass tires. what kind of tires do you have?

talonXracer
05-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Time for a full swap.........

4angrybadgers
05-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Time for a driver skill mod.... Boost/swap/tranny/etc. won't help you if you can't drive.

Sit in the car with the engine off and practice shifting quickly and cleanly. Then work on your launch - find a long empty parking lot, and practice. If you have a friend who knows how to drag-launch a car that can coach you, even better.

johnnyhatchback
05-28-2008, 08:26 AM
he might be at a high altitude, In colorado ep’s run 17’s all day… :(

ep-unit
05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
so having the six-speed on the a3 will give you a much slower time on the ep

kprocivic
05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
so having the six-speed on the a3 will give you a much slower time on the ep

no.

parkjehhyun
05-30-2008, 06:35 PM
if you ever plan on boosting your car, stay with the 5 spd tranny. a 6 spd with boost requires more spooling time per gear = less power output.

T-MacK
05-30-2008, 07:16 PM
A shorter gear tranny will be 1/2 a second quicker then a long tranny.....with a good driver.
I remember in my old N/A Civic I shaved 0.6 off my 1/4 time switching my tranny to a short geared one.

ep-unit
05-30-2008, 10:32 PM
A shorter gear tranny will be 1/2 a second quicker then a long tranny.....with a good driver.
I remember in my old N/A Civic I shaved 0.6 off my 1/4 time switching my tranny to a short geared one.

the six speed??

T-MacK
05-31-2008, 04:52 AM
the six speed??

Nah just switching out the long gear CX tranny for a SI in my 13 second N/A EG

Nitrofaint
05-31-2008, 05:51 AM
The keys to a successfull quarter mile in my opinion includes maintaining enough traction in first and second gear, while shifting at the highest point in your rev range. It takes some time for you to get your shift points down for first and second gear. I know it did for me.

ep-unit
05-31-2008, 02:12 PM
The keys to a successfull quarter mile in my opinion includes maintaining enough traction in first and second gear, while shifting at the highest point in your rev range. It takes some time for you to get your shift points down for first and second gear. I know it did for me.

so having the 6-speed on the a3 will better my time? i ran the track a couple of times in my b16 ek and i could hit 14's easy but now with the EP i ran mid 15's just intake header, i just want to know having the 6-speed affect me slower.

johnnyhatchback
06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
it will make it slightly quicker, the gears are shorter... like the guy said he did in his EG, shorter gears in N/A cars is better.

T-MacK
06-01-2008, 07:05 PM
it will make it slightly quicker, the gears are shorter... like the guy said he did in his EG, shorter gears in N/A cars is better.

Exactly what I was saying earlier.
N/A engines love short gear tranny's.

SiR R8TD
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
make sure you get an A2 or Z1 w/ that 6-speed. that will defiantely get the 1/4mile down.

ep-unit
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
make sure you get an A2 or Z1 w/ that 6-speed. that will defiantely get the 1/4mile down.

yah for sure but now i just have the a3 w/ the 6-speed, looking at what 1/4 mile times i'll have. wanna get a frank build soon

vtecmelee
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
ok my civic has a horrible quarter mile time try 17.2 with a k&n intake my homie sugggest that i get the 6 speed type s tranny would help good idea? and any suggestions on how to get my time lower?

1. make sure you have good tires.
2. warm them up nice in the burnout box.
3. when the last yellow light lights up launch that bitch at 4100 rpm
4. shift regular into second but into third full throttle shift (leave it pinned when you shift)
me doing this with header intake exhaust on a crappy track ran a 15.2 i have not really had anything to compare it to around hear to see if its good or not but it is better then 17.
if you are doing all of that an shill getting high results.
get kpro it will be the best for some quick number changes.

4angrybadgers
06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
If you have regular street tires, a burnout in the water box won't improve grip - it'll just make them slipperier.

vtecmelee
06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
If you have regular street tires, a burnout in the water box won't improve grip - it'll just make them slipperier.

i beg to differ. i have tried both ways to see what times i get and every time i heat them up i get better times.

ep3moschini
06-09-2008, 08:03 AM
I ran a 14.9 with only I/RH/E

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_0629.jpg

4angrybadgers
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
i beg to differ. i have tried both ways to see what times i get and every time i heat them up i get better times.

Did you do a scientific study to eliminate all other variables? A lot of factors affect your time, so you can't say one particular change made you faster.

Every pro I've talked to says that normal street rubber turns into a greasy mess if you start doing burnouts. And most drag strips will make you go around the water if you have street tires, so I'd say there's a good reason for it. DRs/slicks have a special rubber compound that works better when you heat it up in the burnout box.

vtecmelee
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Did you do a scientific study to eliminate all other variables? A lot of factors affect your time, so you can't say one particular change made you faster.

Every pro I've talked to says that normal street rubber turns into a greasy mess if you start doing burnouts. And most drag strips will make you go around the water if you have street tires, so I'd say there's a good reason for it. DRs/slicks have a special rubber compound that works better when you heat it up in the burnout box.

im not going to e thug it up with you i just beg to differ i do not set in the water when i warm them up, im not really in in water at all, But everyone races diffrent an thats what makes it cool.

good job on the 14.9 ep3moschin i got a short ebay intake comptech shorty and thermal r&d catback oem cat. what header do you got?

illusionsoflife
06-12-2008, 01:49 AM
im not going to e thug it up with you i just beg to differ i do not set in the water when i warm them up, im not really in in water at all, But everyone races diffrent an thats what makes it cool.

good job on the 14.9 ep3moschin i got a short ebay intake comptech shorty and thermal r&d catback oem cat. what header do you got?

you asked for help. everyone here helps out. not trying to bash you.

rolldic
06-12-2008, 02:14 AM
a supercharger could help...

EP3_U_SEE
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
better tires and a short shifter.. may help a little