PDA

View Full Version : DIY Request: Switchblade Key

robhep3
05-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey guys. I know that a while back there was a DIY to mod one of the 03-05 Stock keys to fit into a switchblade key. I was just looking for the DIY or at least the part numbers of the appropriate switchblade key that I would need to do the mod. It's something I'd always wanted to do, and now that I have a workbench and some space at home, I figured what the heck. If you guys have any info (which I'm sure you do) it would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance,
rob

robhep3
05-24-2008, 08:46 AM
I was over on CRSX and was searching for this same topic and I got to thinking... What exactly is it that makes our keys not capable of just being cut onto a blank switchblade? Is it the FCC transmitter thing? I suppose that's really more what I need to know, huh?

RollinCivic
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
http://forums.hostmatters.com/images/smilies/withstupid.gifI want one too....

RedSiBaron
05-24-2008, 09:17 AM
i wouldnt mind cept i have an 02...i just dont want to deal with all the crap on my keychain anymore

Jpax
05-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Moved - to how to section.

Rollincivic more pics of the girl in the avatar or your banned for the weekend.

robhep3
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
i wouldnt mind cept i have an 02...i just dont want to deal with all the crap on my keychain anymore

There's a how-to/DIY on clubrsx that deals specifically with modding a switchblade to accept an '02 EP or 02-04 RSX key (the old-style ones)... I can grab the link real quick...

I was just looking to see if there's a way to buy a specific key and just have it cut for my ignition/lock cylinders...

Edit: Try this one: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=428964 My only concern is whether or not the transmitters are the same as the EP... On that, I'm not sure. I was hoping someone could clarify that for me...

rehatcher
05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Just make sure you buy a TL switchblade and not the RDX switchblade. The transmitter from the TL works with our cars but RDX transmitter doesn't. I made a switchblade for my CRV and it ROCKS!

robhep3
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Just make sure you buy a TL switchblade and not the RDX switchblade. The transmitter from the TL works with our cars but RDX transmitter doesn't. I made a switchblade for my CRV and it ROCKS!

WOOT. Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Kanzen Taichou
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey guys. I know that a while back there was a DIY to mod one of the 03-05 Stock keys to fit into a switchblade key. I was just looking for the DIY or at least the part numbers of the appropriate switchblade key that I would need to do the mod. It's something I'd always wanted to do, and now that I have a workbench and some space at home, I figured what the heck. If you guys have any info (which I'm sure you do) it would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance,
rob

I would like to do something like this also... I have an 03 EP3 and would like to try and get my autopage transmitter hooked up to a switchblade.. That sould be totally Bad Ass!!! If I could get the main instructions on the regular switchblades, I would definately write up on transferring an aftermarket transmitter into the switchblade... still thinking about how to get the lcd screen on the damn thing if i were to do that...
-Can some one link the instructions on doing the modification?

robhep3
07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Bump. Got my key from Acura today and took it to be cut. Thankfully I have KPro and disabled the immobilizer so all I had to do was drive home and program the keyless transmitter codes to the car. Here's some pics. Sorry for the quality, they're from my cell phone.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/robhep3/switchblade/oldkeyandfob.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/robhep3/switchblade/switchbladeclosed.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/robhep3/switchblade/switchbladeopen.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/robhep3/switchblade/sidebyside.jpg

By the way, the total cost for me to get this done was $82.22
I got the hook up at both dealerships because I work at a local Ford dealership. The Switchblade key normally retails for $85 + tax, and the cutting generally runs anywhere from $10-50 depending on who does it for you.

illusionsoflife
07-05-2008, 09:29 PM

ive seen it done with an 02. and also us 02 guys can do the ridgeline key swap

0h5ive_EP3
07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
:popcorn: gonna see if anyone pops up a specific ep3 diy

rehatcher
07-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Ridgeline key is like 30+shipping, TL key is like 58+shipping, Honda cut my keys for free.

Before you begin modifying anything, test the new transmitter by programming your new transmitter to your Civic. You can have up to three remotes programmed so be sure to have all transmitters you want programmed handy.
To program your remote: insert your key in the ignition and keeping a working remote in your hand, turn the ignition to on and press lock on your remote then turn the ignition to off. Repeat this cycle for a total of 4 times and you will hear all the locks click locked on the final cycle. Once you hear all the locks click, push lock on the other remotes you have, each time you will her the doors click locked. Once you have all remotes programmed, remove your key from the ignition and press unlock to ensure you programmed successfully. If your transmitter programming was a success continue on to modifying your key. If you were unsuccessful, try programming again.

Go to Honda and have them cut your key. My Honda dealership cuts the key for free. I have always left the key in original packaging.

Once your new key is cut and programmed, you are now ready to remove the immobilizer chip from your EP key in order to insert it into your new key so your car will start.

Cut apart your EP key and remove the chip from within the white plastic housing. In order to remove the chip from within your Civic key, use some Kliens and some wire/side cutters. You will be essentially destroying your key to remove the chip so once you begin cutting, be prepared to follow through and complete the process.

Now to insert the chip into your switchblade. Notice the small screw on your switchblade key near the key ring, unscrew this small screw and remove the transmitter. From the key housing. Now you are left with the switchblade mechanism. You need to gently pry off the top holding the key in place. There are little tabs you can release with a small screwdriver, and double sided tape holds it as well.

You have now uncovered the spring mechanism. Have a look at this before going any farther. There are 2 black screws and one silver screw. There is a small hole with a little wire poking through next to the 2 black screws. The wire is actually the spring mechanism. If you just unscrew everything and remove the metal plate, you might damage the spring so carefully undo all three screws with your finger putting some pressure on the metal plate holding it down. This is spring loaded so be careful to remember how everything was lined up, you will spend a little time when reinstalling. Take your time with this and you will have no problem putting back together. On the bottom of the key is the chip you will be removing. I actually had to drill a little hole on the opposite side and pushed the chip out from the top. Once the old chip is out, insert the new chip and reassemble your new switchblade.

rehatcher
07-06-2008, 01:37 PM
The other faceplate I have showing is from an RDX. If you don't want to have the unused trunk unlock button on your remote, cut the button off of the transmitter, remove it entirely and use the cover from the RDX.

robhep3
07-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Word! Thanks a ton for posting that here. I would have had to do the immobilizer thing as well, if I didn't have Kpro.

blksi02
07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Do not attempt this if you have an 02' unless you have a very steady hand and the patience of a god.

TiMmYzAleS
07-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Ridgeline key is like 30+shipping, TL key is like 58+shipping, Honda cut my keys for free.

Before you begin modifying anything, test the new transmitter by programming your new transmitter to your Civic. You can have up to three remotes programmed so be sure to have all transmitters you want programmed handy.
To program your remote: insert your key in the ignition and keeping a working remote in your hand, turn the ignition to on and press lock on your remote then turn the ignition to off. Repeat this cycle for a total of 4 times and you will hear all the locks click locked on the final cycle. Once you hear all the locks click, push lock on the other remotes you have, each time you will her the doors click locked. Once you have all remotes programmed, remove your key from the ignition and press unlock to ensure you programmed successfully. If your transmitter programming was a success continue on to modifying your key. If you were unsuccessful, try programming again.

Go to Honda and have them cut your key. My Honda dealership cuts the key for free. I have always left the key in original packaging.

Once your new key is cut and programmed, you are now ready to remove the immobilizer chip from your EP key in order to insert it into your new key so your car will start.

Cut apart your EP key and remove the chip from within the white plastic housing. In order to remove the chip from within your Civic key, use some Kliens and some wire/side cutters. You will be essentially destroying your key to remove the chip so once you begin cutting, be prepared to follow through and complete the process.

Now to insert the chip into your switchblade. Notice the small screw on your switchblade key near the key ring, unscrew this small screw and remove the transmitter. From the key housing. Now you are left with the switchblade mechanism. You need to gently pry off the top holding the key in place. There are little tabs you can release with a small screwdriver, and double sided tape holds it as well.

You have now uncovered the spring mechanism. Have a look at this before going any farther. There are 2 black screws and one silver screw. There is a small hole with a little wire poking through next to the 2 black screws. The wire is actually the spring mechanism. If you just unscrew everything and remove the metal plate, you might damage the spring so carefully undo all three screws with your finger putting some pressure on the metal plate holding it down. This is spring loaded so be careful to remember how everything was lined up, you will spend a little time when reinstalling. Take your time with this and you will have no problem putting back together. On the bottom of the key is the chip you will be removing. I actually had to drill a little hole on the opposite side and pushed the chip out from the top. Once the old chip is out, insert the new chip and reassemble your new switchblade.

instead of removing the chip couldn't you just get it reprogrammed?

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Do not attempt this if you have an 02' unless you have a very steady hand and the patience of a god.

You can say that again....I killed my valet key and failed.

02TWSI
07-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Can this be done with the 02s? I ask because it seems to get mixed reviews.

Straight up, can the TL switchblade key work with the 02? what's different from the 02 and 03 key?

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Can this be done with the 02s? I ask because it seems to get mixed reviews.

Straight up, can the TL switchblade key work with the 02? what's different from the 02 and 03 key?

02 has the old fashion key, was 03+ has the laser cut keys

moonsi
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
02 has the old fashion key, was 03+ has the laser cut keys

:( I have 02`

03silverEP
07-18-2008, 03:08 PM
go to acura, buy a TL key (not RDX) reason- The TL key has the transmitter made by Omron (sp?) The RDX transmitter is made by Valeo

Our factory transmitter is Omron, (follow yet?)

get the key duplicated w/your factory key at the Acura dealer (the machine will trace and duplicate, you do not need a 'key code'!)

once you've cutup an old civic key and glued the RFID chip into the switchblade key

program the transmitter, following the instructions(search sorry i forgot them, but it's basically a sequence of key on/off while pressing the unlock buttons to activate a 'new' fob)

also if you require 110% pimpness, you can buy the cover for a ridgelide flip key and install, the ridgeline doesn't have the trunk pop that the TL has, it's useless on the civic, i personally didn't care

SPECIAL K20A
07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
i have an 02 can i just up grade my igntion to 03 like will it bolt up i work at honda so it should not be a problem right