PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone charger/cig lighter outlet/bad reception

powdbyrice
05-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I cant figure out what is causing the poor radio reception (on certain stations) when i plug my cell phone charger into the cig lighter.

i have an amp installed, but nothing else. i can plug the same charger into another vehicle and the reception is fine.

any advice?

Teejay
05-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Make sure your rca wires aren't running by the power wires from the cig lighter and not running by your antenna wires. also if you have your cellphone near your headunit it will give you feedback and cause your signal to be crappy.

powdbyrice
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a line-to-rca adapter installed in the dash behind the oem headunit. everything is soldered and wrapped.

I tried moving the wires from the amp away from the antenna wire along the door sil, but it didn't do anything.

I get poor reception with the charger on and the amp is not on.

its not a big deal as I don't charge my phone much in he car, its just annoying when I do.

1fast03ep
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Is it a cheap charger?

powdbyrice
05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
nah, OEM verizon.

Chad
05-27-2008, 07:09 AM
The charger uses a switch mode power supply which generates RFI, even if this RFI is not in the same band as the station you are trying to receive harmonics generated can cause the tuner's to be overloaded thus causing poor reception. It could be as simple as relocating the antenna wire.

Stock radio?

powdbyrice
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
The charger uses a switch mode power supply which generates RFI, even if this RFI is not in the same band as the station you are trying to receive harmonics generated can cause the tuner's to be overloaded thus causing poor reception. It could be as simple as relocating the antenna wire.

Stock radio?

Yes, stock radio.

Chad
05-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Just for grins, try this while you are expieriencing the issue.

Take the wire, close to the cig plug unit, wrap 3-4 turns around a screw/other metal that's attracted to a magnet.

See if the problem goes away, what this does is decouple the wire and keeps it from acting as an antenna at high frequencies, this will tell you alot of what the source of the noise is and how to solve the issue.