PDA

View Full Version : jdm shift boot

sLiCk
05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Trying to install the jdm boot paired with my skunk2 knob but can't really seem to figure out how the boot holds against the knob? Does the chrome clip on the boot detach and the jamnut goes underneith it?

J-Bird
05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I wrapped an elastic band around the shifter and then slid the shifter boot over and the elastic band will hold it against the knob.

chuck83
05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
i put the nut underdeath/inside the chrome piece, where it is now stuck. It works, but now my skunk2 knob will only tighten with the shift pattern upside down lol.

Kodeen
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
The skunk2 knob needs either a locking nut or teflon tape on the threading on the shift lever.

sLiCk
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
The skunk2 knob needs either a locking nut or teflon tape on the threading on the shift lever.

I understand that the knob needs a nut or teflon to keep it from spinning. I was wondering how you guys keep the boot up against the knob? The elastic band trick sounds like it may work but it's kinda ghetto :)

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I understand that the knob needs a nut or teflon to keep it from spinning. I was wondering how you guys keep the boot up against the knob? The elastic band trick sounds like it may work but it's kinda ghetto :)

its supposed to just sit on the taper...if you want put a washer on the taper part of hte arm and then put the boot on over this, that will keep it up...

sLiCk
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
its supposed to just sit on the taper...if you want put a washer on the taper part of hte arm and then put the boot on over this, that will keep it up...

Oh i c. So the jam nut for the knob still goes above the chrome clip?

Kodeen
05-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Yeah, to keep the CTR boot up, the best way is to wrap the shift lever in some electrical tape of something like that, then sit the boot on top of that. You're right in that it is somewhat ghetto, but it works.

Or you can do like me and bet a BCSS. There's no room for the boot to sag.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh i c. So the jam nut for the knob still goes above the chrome clip?

thats what i would do, i wouldnt want to tighten anything down on plastic...itll just break

civictype_r04
05-27-2008, 12:28 PM
thats what i would do, i wouldnt want to tighten anything down on plastic...itll just break

I agree or it will crack.

sLiCk
05-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Yeah, to keep the CTR boot up, the best way is to wrap the shift lever in some electrical tape of something like that, then sit the boot on top of that. You're right in that it is somewhat ghetto, but it works.

Or you can do like me and bet a BCSS. There's no room for the boot to sag.

Hmmm I actually have the bcss, and it still sags a bit. I also tried redsibaron's suggestion to rest the boot on the taper of the shift rod but it doesn't work cause the diameter of the taper is too small and it just comes right through the boot.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Hmmm I actually have the bcss, and it still sags a bit. I also tried redsibaron's suggestion to rest the boot on the taper of the shift rod but it doesn't work cause the diameter of the taper is too small and it just comes right through the boot.

try putting a washer on there?

Kodeen
05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm talking about a 1/4" radius of electrical tape.