PDA

View Full Version : intercooler spray?

kenscivic
05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Well me and a friend got into a heated debate tonight.. I told him a shot of nitrous to the intercooler MIGHT give 15 hp for an instant and he said it would be significatnly more...

opinions/thoughts of this?

weltall
05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
people still use that setup?

the only purpose for it is to lower the charge temp to defeat detonation (CO2 is a more cost friendly better way to do that setup)

it only cools the temp of the FMIC and nothing more

and it also dumps alot of spray on the cooler and it is wired to a full throttle switch

there are gains but the gains are minimal if any
it would be the difference between turbo car in summer vs turbo car in the dead of winter

10-15 is reasonable

your freind should sell his car and buy a tempo

Blaine
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM

the only purpose for it is to lower the charge temp to defeat detonation (CO2 is a more cost friendly better way to do that setup)

and it also dumps alot of spray on the cooler and it is wired to a full throttle switch

it would be the difference between turbo car in summer vs turbo car in the dead of winter

10-15 is reasonable

Your knowledge pwns all

civictype_r04
05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree CO2 is the way to go if you have big numbers and need a little more.

playap07
05-27-2008, 09:49 PM
lol funny!:mbiggrin:

antisocial
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
does your friend know you were talking about spraying on the ic instead of spraying into it?:der:

boost_lee
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Yes it does help of course. Every turbo car needs a ice cold intercooler to cool fast and help the turbo out at heavy hott temps. I wouldnt say 15+ hp, but you are in general helping the turbo out more than anything, to cool down.

kenscivic
05-28-2008, 02:45 AM
does your friend know you were talking about spraying on the ic instead of spraying into it?:der:

Yah , he is an all motor type of guy

his car now is a fc with a 350 stroked to a 383 w/ dart heads, solid roller and all that good shit

6.7s at 103 all motor ftw. He just straped on a nitrous kit so he is hoping with a 200 shot and back halfing the car to see some high/mid 5s

QDRHRSE
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
On not sure about the gains that you would see in a Honda but on my 2000 Lightning, a 50 shot during the summer was worth 100rwhp on the dyno. Before you raise the BS flag, keep in mind that a lightning has a supercharger like the JRSC and the intercooler sits under the intake and all the air and fuel going into the motor moves through it (like air through a radiator). Therefore, the nitrous went into the motor and cooled the intercooler at the same time. Hence the huge gain in efficiency.

Does anybody use meth injection on the turbo set ups? That's popular too with the blown v8 crowd.

I know very little about turbo charging myself. I just know that spraying nitrous through [on] the intercooler to cool it would have to work.

davisj3537
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I had a nitrous and c02 set up on my intercooler for a good while(different intervals of course). I wanted a more lasting effect so I hooked up my washer lines to the intercooler too and filled the reservior with water. The water would freeze and last longer on the intercooler. It is honestly only a difference between summer and winter...not super noticable or anything. I have the kit still chillin' at the house actually just collecting dust.

playap07
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I had a nitrous and c02 set up on my intercooler for a good while(different intervals of course). I wanted a more lasting effect so I hooked up my washer lines to the intercooler too and filled the reservior with water. The water would freeze and last longer on the intercooler. It is honestly only a difference between summer and winter...not super noticable or anything. I have the kit still chillin' at the house actually just collecting dust.

hummm......whats the difference between meth injection and intercooler spay? dont they do the same thing? cool the hot air? if so which is better way? i have been lookin into meth injection but also the tought about cooling the air that comes through the fmic is also i nice ass idea! makeing power is not my goal through this! my goal is to have a nice cooled temperature running through the engine that way not to stress it out. what are you opinions on this matter?

davisj3537
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Methanol injection is pretty drastic sir. I vote C02 but I'm sure someone with meth experience will chime in.

playap07
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Methanol injection is pretty drastic sir. I vote C02 but I'm sure someone with meth experience will chime in.

roger thanks!

talonXracer
05-30-2008, 12:30 PM
With my AWD Talon I used a windshield spray nozzle and water. This worked as well as the CO2 system did, and a whole hell of alot cheaper in the long run.

kprocivic
05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
With my AWD Talon I used a windshield spray nozzle and water. This worked as well as the CO2 system did, and a whole hell of alot cheaper in the long run.

i remember my friends brother in law had the same setup on his eclipse, i was about 10 years old and i thought it was the coolest stuff in the world.

TheAmericanStig
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=4&tid=1

I imagine this would do the exact same thing except possibly a little more cost effectively than an IC sprayer kit.

squeak04si
05-30-2008, 04:19 PM

10-15 is reasonable

there is a night and day difference between my car in the summer and in winter. i would love for my car to run in the summer like it does in the winter.

squeak04si
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
On not sure about the gains that you would see in a Honda but on my 2000 Lightning, a 50 shot during the summer was worth 100rwhp on the dyno. Before you raise the BS flag, keep in mind that a lightning has a supercharger like the JRSC and the intercooler sits under the intake and all the air and fuel going into the motor moves through it (like air through a radiator). Therefore, the nitrous went into the motor and cooled the intercooler at the same time. Hence the huge gain in efficiency.

Does anybody use meth injection on the turbo set ups? That's popular too with the blown v8 crowd.

I know very little about turbo charging myself. I just know that spraying nitrous through [on] the intercooler to cool it would have to work.

you have to understand that a s/c would see more gains with cooling since thats its biggest enemy. screw the horsepower gain i wanna know what was your torque gain lol

squeak04si
05-30-2008, 04:30 PM
hummm......whats the difference between meth injection and intercooler spay? dont they do the same thing? cool the hot air? if so which is better way? i have been lookin into meth injection but also the tought about cooling the air that comes through the fmic is also i nice ass idea! makeing power is not my goal through this! my goal is to have a nice cooled temperature running through the engine that way not to stress it out. what are you opinions on this matter?

the meth injection is just what it says "injected" meth has a high octane effect so that can run more timing kinda like running race gas. meth will not cool anything down by itself, you need water mixed with it. the water some how has this steam cooling effect. all i know is my friend runs it on his cobalt ss s/c and it dropped his iats after the blower by 30-35 degrees. i touched the blower one time after he made a pass and it shocked me how cold it was. also, to run 100% meth you hav to get tuned for it cuz if you dont it will make you run rich as hell.