PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat

ep3 604
05-26-2008, 12:59 PM
So I've been hearing from people that if you wash your car too much you can take off the clearcoat. Is this true? I wash my ep like at least 2 times a week.

Also, cleaning the engine bay, does our ep's have a protectant on the engine and do we need to reapply it?

jh604
05-26-2008, 06:19 PM
i dont know about the clearcoat but i try to use clearcoat safe stuff. as for the engine. i dont think there is any protective stuff. i use an all purpose cleaner/degreaser on the engine and engine bay so i think it should be alright.

silver hatch
05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Ha, ha. Wash your car as much as you want man. As long as it's just soap without chemicals, you're fine. I wish I had time to wash my car that much.

Unless you have oil/grease stains in your engine bay, just use Simplegreen and then rinse with a light shower of water. if you have an intake, cover the filter with a plastic bag so that it doesn't soak up water. Or if you're going to take off the filter and wash it from the inside out, make sure it fully dries before installing it again. Only if you have a washable filter of course.

shanewdude
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
There was some discussion awhile back about dish soap being hard on clear coat (it also strips wax, too).

jh604
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
There was some discussion awhile back about dish soap being hard on clear coat (it also strips wax, too).

yup! thats true. people say use DAWN dish soap to clean your car. it might be okay if your going to do a full detail (wash, clay, wash, (polish), wax) but other than that i sould stay with car products for the car.

ep3 604
05-27-2008, 01:19 AM
what auto wash you guys use? and so simple green engine degreaser is good enough?