PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint boots

talonXracer
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
As I was doing my weekend project, I found both front balljoint boots had been worn thru in spots, almost sliced.

So I got a new set of boots, but dont have the Honda tool to put the damn things on(ruined 1 already) These are a bit different than the ones I have installed before that have the metal wire retainer on the outside and you remove them to install, But these are molded within the rubber and are a bitch to get on.

any suggestions????

ep_hatcher_510
05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Find a socket that can cup the boot ring, and give it a few good taps and it should go on.

talonXracer
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Find a socket that can cup the boot ring, and give it a few good taps and it should go on.

That is how I damaged the first boot:mfrown:, I think I will look at different size PVC piping to "make" a tool.

team ERA 5
05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
you need a press, to press them out and vice versa to put the new ones on. Good luck. :popcorn:

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
a rubber mallet can fix any problem provided that you dont let it bounce back and smash you're face.

talonXracer
05-28-2008, 05:44 AM
you need a press, to press them out and vice versa to put the new ones on. Good luck. :popcorn:

You dont need a press to remove the boots a pair of pliers removed them very easily, A special tool is required to install them.

a rubber mallet can fix any problem provided that you dont let it bounce back and smash you're face.

Do you even know what you are talking about?????

thaseint
05-28-2008, 06:16 AM
That is how I damaged the first boot:mfrown:, I think I will look at different size PVC piping to "make" a tool.

http://www.eskimo.com/~mikeg/S2000/tie_rod_boot/

I've used this method in the past for tie rods with the internal metal ring, so I'm sure you could make it work for the ball joint boots. :thumb:

RedSiBaron
05-28-2008, 06:21 AM

was able to get mine on un damaged with the right sized perscription medicine bottle with the top cut off for the balljoint rod to go thru...if you PM mary i think she used to have some alternative method in her 5 lug swap DIY...may have just been the socket trick though...

what sucked is after i did mine, i turned 1 of the uprights over and hte balljoint just fucking fell out...realized that the guy who sold me them must have beat the hell out of the upright and he actually bent the casting around the balljoint so it wasnt round...had to take it to my trusted race shop to have it put round, he had some trick he used, and then i just had moog balljoints pressed into both of them...problem solved...but still...it sucked

talonXracer
05-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Yes the tierod end boots and the ball joint boots are the same.

I will go thru my garage and cellar and look for some PVC tubing, I should have something that may work.

phill
05-28-2008, 08:05 AM
... and then i just had moog balljoints pressed into both of them...

solved my own question

v1c10us
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
nope, I've never touched a ball joint boot, let alone the little thing inside it you're talking about.
but i'm positive what ever your problem is, a rubber mallet will help.