PDA

View Full Version : A/C causing "tick" in engine bay...help???

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
alright so this just started, im getting a sort of knocking tick sound from the transmission side of the engine bay when my A/C is on(thats where it sounds like its coming from when i open the hood)

when i turn it off i get a muffled clunk and the sound goes away...

wtf bbq??

itchy5
05-27-2008, 04:04 PM
*shrug* compressor kicking the bucket?

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
*shrug* compressor kicking the bucket?

maybe...car has 63k on it...though i havnt really used A/C THAT much since i bought the car at 45k...hrrm

QDRHRSE
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
sounds like the ac compressor cycling on & off. Are you low on 134? Is the ac working....blowing cold?

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
sounds like the ac compressor cycling on & off. Are you low on 134? Is the ac working....blowing cold?

i guess its blowing "cold" i mean its cold, its not ice cold, but it never has been THAT cold...would it make noise if it was low on freon?

this is only car ive had with a/c last car it didnt work so i pulled it...

03civsi
05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Had one doing that at the shop I work at. Found the tensioner was slapping around a little bit. Using a "long" screw driver can help pin point where and what is making the noise. Otherwise take it to your local dealer or someone you trust. Either the tensioner itself or the pulley are prolly making the noise. You know what the A/C sounded like when you got it before right? Is it a one time click or constant ticking while the A/C is on? (i.e. As the compressor turns on there is a field coil that is energized that can be described as anything from a click to a clunk) If it's constantly ticking as the A/C is on then there may be an issue.

03civsi
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Also, sorry. Grab a flashlight and watch the A/C compressor as the noise happens depending on your situation. It should be the pulley directly above your toe if you slid your foot under the bumper on the belt side.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Had one doing that at the shop I work at. Found the tensioner was slapping around a little bit. Using a "long" screw driver can help pin point where and what is making the noise. Otherwise take it to your local dealer or someone you trust. Either the tensioner itself or the pulley are prolly making the noise. You know what the A/C sounded like when you got it before right? Is it a one time click or constant ticking while the A/C is on? (i.e. As the compressor turns on there is a field coil that is energized that can be described as anything from a click to a clunk) If it's constantly ticking as the A/C is on then there may be an issue.

Also, sorry. Grab a flashlight and watch the A/C compressor as the noise happens depending on your situation. It should be the pulley directly above your toe if you slid your foot under the bumper on the belt side.

when the a/c is on its ticking the whole time, and clunks when i turn it off...

i just replaced the tensioner pully/bearing and torqued it to the factory spec...though i didnt replace the idler bearing/pully

i was getting a slight hissing from the idler, but that was seperate from the ticking from the ac...could resistance from a worn idler cause the a/c to make noise, or worn out a/c make the idler make noise?

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
i might just replace the idler first, since its not much, then if its still making noise, then ill look into the A/C

03civsi
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Start poking around with a screwdriver or a stethoscope to figure out where exactly it's coming from before going all willy-nilly. Sounds like your definitely on the right track and in the right area. Be careful with a steth though, if it's loud it will hurt.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Start poking around with a screwdriver or a stethoscope to figure out where exactly it's coming from before going all willy-nilly. Sounds like your definitely on the right track and in the right area. Be careful with a steth though, if it's loud it will hurt.

hahaha i bet...well i was already planning on replacing the idler, so i might as well right? then look into searching the noise out if it still exists

03civsi
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Ready rod or anything else with a solid core and long enough but small enough to fit down that far can work too, just look around the garage. Hate to see someone throw away money on something they don't absolutely need trying to fix a problem.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Ready rod or anything else with a solid core and long enough but small enough to fit down that far can work too, just look around the garage. Hate to see someone throw away money on something they don't absolutely need trying to fix a problem.

ive got some really long craftsman screwdrivers i can try with...

but please dont get me wrong the idler is me using this as an excuse to do this now instead of soon, ill do it now, ive been meaning to for some preventative maintenance anyway...

03civsi
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Not a problem, let me know if you need any other ideas or thoughts.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Not a problem, let me know if you need any other ideas or thoughts.

yah definitely, ill update after i put the idler on and check the torque on the tensioner again...i figure it is the a/c compressor just because its making noise when its on, and its not like the pully ever stops turning

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
happened to me
it was the high pressure line knocking against a part of the inside of the engine bay
the high pressure line is the thin silver one on the right side of the engine bay that runs up near the fuse box and the battery, i just found the place it was hitting and wrapped it in double sided adhesive weather stripping

although when my ac is on the entire car acts like its about to vibrate apart, its fucking annoying.
But even when its off my car vibrates a whole lot, not sure why.

03civsi
05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
And you've done the idle learn?!?!?!! Check the mounts? Any possible accident damage?

happened to me
it was the high pressure line knocking against a part of the inside of the engine bay
the high pressure line is the thin silver one on the right side of the engine bay that runs up near the fuse box and the battery, i just found the place it was hitting and wrapped it in double sided adhesive weather stripping

although when my ac is on the entire car acts like its about to vibrate apart, its fucking annoying.

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
happened to me

ill check that, worth a shot...heh

RedSiBaron
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
my compressor went at 41K, hope that's not the problem mang.

ya i hope not...if it is ill see if honda will cover it

AFG
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
must be the JDMness?

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
And you've done the idle learn?!?!?!! Check the mounts? Any possible accident damage?

done the idle thing a couple times, puts it at the right RPM's but its still shakey, no accidents, mounts are good I think.

72chevel
05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Maybe with all the attention on your new exhaust the airconditioner is jealous :mbiggrin:

RedSiBaron
05-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Maybe with all the attention on your new exhaust the airconditioner is jealous :mbiggrin:

i hope not...thats just petty of the a/c haha

stepintoliquid
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
any update on your ticking? i started having a similar noise, possibly a/c related, the other day...

Fico
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
i have an a/c i pulled last year for sale if your interested pm me

RedSiBaron
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
well the ticking only seems to really happen when its hot and humid out, ive had the ac on full blast when its not hot and humid out and no ticking, but it was definitely ticking today in 95degree heat...

its not really blowing super cold, it takes a bit to cool down the car...i dunno whats up, i havnt really had the mental time to figure it out...

weltall
06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
dude my ac clutch buzzes like cicadas in heat when i turn it on

the pathfinder makes a funny sound though turned out it was a loose bolt in the center of the clutch

if your low on freon the ac clutch wont even click over and spin the compressor since it needs a pressure signal

also make sure all you lines are secure

frm_808
06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
if your low on freon the ac clutch wont even click over and spin the compressor since it needs a pressure signal

also make sure all you lines are secure

but maybe his pressure is in the inbetween margin of the compressor not kicking on or off causing it to continously click? makes sense?

pressure to low, clutch wont activate
pressure is good, clutch will activate
pressure in between, pulsating clutch?

weltall
06-10-2008, 11:12 PM
perhaps

RedSiBaron
06-11-2008, 06:39 AM
so should i go the obvious route and refill the freeon?

epshtielsl
06-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Good luck on figuring out the problem. You're lucky your A/C works, because my compressor won't even turn on :mfrown:. I wondered for the longest time why my car didn't vibrate more when I turned the A/C on with my ESMM installed. Then when the summer hit, I realized that the compressor doesn't even come on. Now my balls are swimming by the time I get to work :mfrown:. The past four days have been 100+ degrees, I just about have a heat stroke before I get anywhere.

htech
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
i may be to late on this but try this ,

1- car at idle a/c on ( noise is there )
2- press the clutch ( or have some one press it for you )

does the noise go away ??? .

if so let me know and i can tell you what to do .

RedSiBaron
06-12-2008, 04:55 PM
i may be to late on this but try this ,

1- car at idle a/c on ( noise is there )
2- press the clutch ( or have some one press it for you )

does the noise go away ??? .

if so let me know and i can tell you what to do .

yup, clutch goes in, noise goes away...what does this mean???

htech
06-12-2008, 04:57 PM

transmission ill pm you so you can call me im in socal ( pacific time ) .

03civsi
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Noticed something similar today when I was in a drive through without the a/c on though. I was thinking throw-out bearing for me.

frm_808
06-12-2008, 09:41 PM
transmission ill pm you so you can call me im in socal ( pacific time ) .

confused on this part? pushed in the transmission clutch and the a/c noise goes away. do explain!

htech
06-14-2008, 07:20 AM
confused on this part? pushed in the transmission clutch and the a/c noise goes away. do explain!

redsibaron do i have you're permision to post the answer to this ??? .

NatesSi04
06-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Mine does the drive-thru noise too, in all of my American made RWD vehicles it's always been a sign that the throw out bearing is shot, so I'd always pull the tranny and change the clutch while i was there. This is a bit more difficult to do that to, though. It's not really that loud and doesn't sound like a marble rolling around in a plastic bowl like the others i had, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

lil_Eggy
06-15-2008, 08:37 AM

SAME THING FOR ME TOO!!!...i hope we find the answer

RedSiBaron
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
redsibaron do i have you're permision to post the answer to this ??? .

sorry i thought i posted a response...oops...yah go ahead man...

Da90Ls
06-18-2008, 12:21 PM
please post the answer because mine has been doing this since I bought it at 52k miles.

It sounds like a valve tap or spun bearing in mine. pretty loud and noticeable to me. But it does go away when the a/c is turned off or clutch is pushed in.

irrational
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
is "the answer" gonna be posted?

this noise could also be from an overcharged system, i believe

v1c10us
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
holy shit what is the problem?
im dying to know!

SonicGroove
06-23-2008, 07:12 AM
I had my AC Pulled and replaced by Honda about 1 yr ago. Anyways I turn on my AC and guess what..HOT AIR...so I take it to my friends dad to check it out and he tells me the reason my AC doesn't work is because the A/C Clutch is MISSING!?!!? WTF!!

Da90Ls
06-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Talk about some shitty techs.

frm_808
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
no real answer yet huh.....

Da90Ls
06-24-2008, 05:00 AM
hey man, sorry about the slow reply, really busy...as it was explained to me, the a/c tick is actually synchros in the transmission hitting when under load at idle from the a/c, so when you put in the clutch it unloads it...something like that...but what i was told by htech (who is a honda tech) is that honda will cover it under warrenty, if of course, you still have a warrenty...honda can look up your VIN if you are unsure if it still has the factory warrenty...he also said that when he got his covered, he got a whole new transmission...and thats NEW, non-refurbish...

i hope that helps answer some questions...let me know if you want to know anything else

Thats whas Information given to me by RedSiBaron

I took it to my Honda Dealer and here was the conversation

I explained the problem and let them hear it

they said "Its just a heat shield rattling around"

I told them what RedSiBaron told me and they said

"Haha, I've never heard of anything like that before. You were misinformed." Then "Well how many miles are on the car?"

I said "62k"

They said "Well theres noting I can do about it now, its out of warranty"

I said "its been doing it since I bought the car"

He said "Well we can replace the tranny but you will have to pay for it"

I told them they are a bunch of good for nothing pieces of shit and walked away.

Is there anything else I can do to get them to replace it with the mileage I have on the car?

I've only had it for about 9k miles and its been doing it since I bought it. The car was almost out of warranty when I bought the damn thing.

PLEASE HELP!!! Dammit I hate the Honda Dealership.

RedSiBaron
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
hey man, sorry about the slow reply, really busy...as it was explained to me, the a/c tick is actually synchros in the transmission hitting when under load at idle from the a/c, so when you put in the clutch it unloads it...something like that...but what i was told by htech (who is a honda tech) is that honda will cover it under warrenty, if of course, you still have a warrenty...honda can look up your VIN if you are unsure if it still has the factory warrenty...he also said that when he got his covered, he got a whole new transmission...and thats NEW, non-refurbish...

i hope that helps answer some questions...let me know if you want to know anything else

Thats whas Information given to me by RedSiBaron

"Haha, I've never heard of anything like that before. You were misinformed." Then "Well how many miles are on the car?"

I said "62k"

I told them they are a bunch of good for nothing pieces of shit and walked away.

Is there anything else I can do to get them to replace it with the mileage I have on the car?

I've only had it for about 9k miles and its been doing it since I bought it. The car was almost out of warranty when I bought the damn thing.

yah...we need htech to give us his perfect info...but it sounds like the dealer you are speaking to is trying to get out of it...

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
call corporate and say that they refuse to cover you, they'll call the dealership and put the squeeze on them.
Cause corporate doesn't feel the free transmission, the dealership does, and the big honda bosses dont want you, or anyone else to be dissatisfied, unless its a big deal in which EVERYONE would be able to cash in on it and get a free transmission.

Da90Ls
06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Yea well my car is out of warranty and I bought no extended warranty. Im not too worried about it. It sounds to me to be the throw out bearing anyway.

My old integra did this for about 2 years then one day the bearing just gave out.

htech
07-29-2008, 09:14 AM

I said "62k"

sorry for the late reply ( a month later )

as you can see honda dealerships dont like doing warranty ,
and the'll try anything , now you can try talking to the dealer rep. and or call honda ( corp. office at torrance ca. ) and see what they can help you out with ,

this is what tech line told me when i call them , nothing is going to happend if you keep driving the car like that , and even if you replace the trans theres a chnage that later down the road the same noise will came back , i hope this helps

and once again sorry for the late reply .

frm_808
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
damn.