PDA

View Full Version : hit rpm limiter at 5900!

clujalolo
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
So today, i was exiting the freeway and i took the exit ramp turn pretty fast, and when it started to straighten out, i punched it, the tires lost a little bit of grip and started to spin very little in 2nd, and i noticed that it was hitting the rev limiter but not at 6800, it was stopping at just under 6000rpm. i got kinda scared at first but it was fine after.

what could have made it do that? What i was thinking was cus my oil might be a little low and all the oil was on the side away from the oil pump and couldn't suck any oil? im guessing the hytech oil baffle will help with this.....but i just want to know what made it do that, im just curious.

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
when our cars lose traction some weird shit happens.
I had my friend in the car and he wanted to time my 0-60, it was on a freeway onramp with a curve and i lost traction around the corner, put it in second gear and still had no traction, his stopwatch clocked my speedometer at 60 mph at 3.8 seconds.
Its quite possible your RPM meter was just being retarded.

edit: incase anyone was wondering, i did not get 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, i was probably going like 40ish but the wheels were turning at 60mph

clujalolo
05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
when our cars lose traction some weird shit happens.
I had my friend in the car and he wanted to time my 0-60, it was on a freeway onramp with a curve and i lost traction around the corner, put it in second gear and still had no traction, his stopwatch clocked my speedometer at 60 mph at 3.8 seconds.
Its quite possible your RPM meter was just being retarded.

noo, cus i could hear the exhuast hitting the limiter and it sounded REALLY low. it sounded like i set the launch control to 5800 or something which i dont even have.

also once i slowed down and straightened out, i reved to 6800 and it was all normal, sounded normal.

this was the first time this happened but last time i did this, it was feel like the car was losing lots of power and i would bunch and it wouldn't really increase in rpm, or lose traction, felt like traction control lol

talonXracer
05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
See if there are any stored CEL codes. Probably just a low oil level.

dmon
05-27-2008, 05:13 PM
i think mine does the same thing. theres this sharp turn behind an old airport. i take it at 50, full throttle, lose traction and it stays around 6k and just sits there until i gain traction again. ill test it out later again to see if it does sit below 6k.

pynikal
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
its kinda like a temp limp home mode for situations that need oil but do not have it.

6od5peed
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Could it be the 5500rpm limit kicking in? The car may think it isn't moving cause the tires are spinning?

clujalolo
05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
i think mine does the same thing. theres this sharp turn behind an old airport. i take it at 50, full throttle, lose traction and it stays around 6k and just sits there until i gain traction again. ill test it out later again to see if it does sit below 6k.

yeh mine does that too but it sounds like im hitting the rev limiter but at like 6000. but it never did it before. it would like stay at 5000 and it wouldn't move in the corner when punching it. then it would feel like the car just got into vtec LOL and it would start to accelerate.