PDA

View Full Version : Over Rev Code

player757
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
So i had my care inspected today at honda and my Honda tec friend told me that i was throwing a over reved code, and suposably the timing is running a lil advanced or so he thinks by the sound and that i may have streched my timing chain. now in ordinary circumstances i would just blow it off as a Honda mechanic just trying to rip me off but a friend of mine i dont know so much, plus he knows that id do it my self so he wouldnt be making anything off it.

Should i be worried?

ALL MotoR Ep3
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
So i had my care inspected today at honda and my Honda tec friend told me that i was throwing a over reved code, and suposably the timing is running a lil advanced or so he thinks by the sound and that i may have streched my timing chain. now in ordinary circumstances i would just blow it off as a Honda mechanic just trying to rip me off but a friend of mine i dont know so much, plus he knows that id do it my self so he wouldnt be making anything off it.

Should i be worried?

I never knew that they had a overrev CEL code..this is definitely a first to my knowledge but i could be wrong...but I doubt your timing chain stretched because you would be able to drive you car would keep jumping timing. and you would probably drop a valve like myself

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 10:52 PM
there was a thread about this a while back. When you bounce off you're revlimiter too much the timing chain has a tendency to stretch, typically not enough to jump a tooth but I guess it's always possible. the over-rev code doesnt trigger a CEL and I dont think that it's the same kind of code, they can pull it though.
I'm fairly sure the CEL is reserved for emissions related things.

The new Paul03
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Mine stretched almost 3/4 of an inch. Just replaced it a month ago I was getting a cam pos sensor cel and a o2 sensor cel I replaced both of the cam pos sensors only to find out I jumpped 2 teeth on my cams. I got really lucky! If you go in there yourself I would reccomend doing the guides too and Doug said the cam sprockets should get replaced when you swap a chain.

player757
05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
danm how much did that end up costing for the full rebuild

talonXracer
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
The over rev code is not a CEL, but an internal code that can be only pulled up useing a factory Honda scan and test unit.

When the chain stretchs the timing is not advanced but retarded, as in operating at a slightly later point in the engines revolution.

The real big offender on chain stretch is bouncing off the revlimiter/launch control, especially while sitting still and freewheeling the engine.

Most techs have no clue at all! I wouldnt believe a thing they say! They usually have substandard mechanical skills and have only enough knowledge to be dangerous.

player757
05-30-2008, 09:00 PM
cool that makes me feel alot better. although i have another problem most likely unrelated but after i pull away from a stop i hear a clicking noise coming from the front left any ideas guys?

v1c10us
05-30-2008, 09:18 PM
cool that makes me feel alot better. although i have another problem most likely unrelated but after i pull away from a stop i hear a clicking noise coming from the front left any ideas guys?

i get that from time to time and its usually right before or after I stick the clutch in, its like a tchikukukuku noise really fast

player757
05-30-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah kinda like that any idea what it is? it just started doing it and its really anoying