PDA

View Full Version : db question

bluedevilI
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
i jus want 2 kno if anyone knos the db level of the stock exhaust, greddy evo2, and the hks hi power.....??? anyone?

v1c10us
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I have a DB meter, I can test the stock exhaust, but from what distance and under what circumstances?
like, an inch away? a foot away? 10 feet away?
pedal to the metal in Idle or like, drive by full throttle at 7k?

bluedevilI
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
idk....lol....jus regular accel. not pushing it....im lookin 2 trade my hks for the greddy evo2....but i got a test pipe so i dont kno hw much louder the evo2 is gonna b

v1c10us
05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I put the DB meter on the sidewalk and floored it down the street, passed it at about 6200, it read 88DB but that was probably a combination of exhaust, engine and wind and tire noise cause that seems high

talonXracer
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
To properly measure the Db of an exhaust system the car needs to be on a dyno, at 1/3 throttle and a 8% grade. The meter is then placed 20' from the exhaust and no more than 15degrees from the exhaust centerline. That is the standard testing procedures most states will accept.

The HKS and DC sports SC have got to be two of the loudest exhausts out there, the EVO2 is alot quieter.

v1c10us
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
that would explain why my reading read so high.
Since I have no easy, free, daily access to a dyno I'll just give up on reading the DB's for my car.
The skunk2 megapower is pretty loud as well I've heard.

frm_808
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
To properly measure the Db of an exhaust system the car needs to be on a dyno, at 1/3 throttle and a 8% grade. The meter is then placed 20' from the exhaust and no more than 15degrees from the exhaust centerline. That is the standard testing procedures most states will accept.

The HKS and DC sports SC have got to be two of the loudest exhausts out there, the EVO2 is alot quieter.

ok so the question is , do the cops follow this procedure when they give you a ticket for a loud exh sys. i thnk not

talonXracer
05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
ok so the question is , do the cops follow this procedure when they give you a ticket for a loud exh sys. i thnk not

Nope, but if you have it tested and it is below the states required Db limit and is legal, keep the test sheet in the glovebox and show the cop. He will still probably give you a ticket as they are only revenue generators with guns. Most states leave the sound level up to the cop's discretion as far as writing the ticket. The govt just wants the revenue from the tickets and hopes that you just plead and pay, even if they are bogus charges. They assume that if you have money to modify the car then you have the money to pay the fines.

frm_808
05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
its cuz we drive imports, if we were in a muscle car they'd give a thumbs up