PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing something stupid .... ~220mi (350km)

kai-wun
05-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Hey guys,

I've recently ran into a little issue with money that delays my EP purchase for about a year. Sux. But I really want the EP now, and I think it'll save so much time in my life (I spend approx 4hr on the bus/subway/etc each day....)

Also, it'll be far more convenient for work.

Anyway, I found an ad for an EP for 350,000km, aka 220,000mi. It's asking $6800 but I'm guessing at that price nobody is really willing to take it. I'm considering bargaining down with him, and driving it for about a year.

Then in a year where I could come across the money, I'd swap in an A2 or K24. But besides the motor/tranny, there must be other things that are going wrong with the car. Suspension, body, etc? If the paint is okya, do you think this is a smart idea?

Or do you think it'll fall apart on me before I manage the swap?

Also, I'm planning big trips this year, how do you think a car with 220mi on it will hold up in an 8hr commute?

Cheers
-k

cow
05-28-2008, 06:03 AM
If you're looking for a reliable beater, there are cheaper Hondas available.

talonXracer
05-28-2008, 06:15 AM
At that mileage, alot of components are close to the end of their lifespan, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, engine bearings etc.

If you can not or do not have the skills, time and tools to perform the maintenance, then I would look for something else as a DD for commuting(many more cars with better mileage out there).

SlayerDX
05-28-2008, 06:26 AM
I just Kelly Blue Booked a 2002 EP3 with 220,000 miles on it. In excellent condition its worth $9,230?!?!?! How can that be right?

epshtielsl
05-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Most, if not all, EP3s with 200+k miles are not gonna be in "excellent" condition. But $9,200 sounds kinda high...

Kodeen
05-28-2008, 07:03 AM
I just Kelly Blue Booked a 2002 EP3 with 220,000 miles on it. In excellent condition its worth $9,230?!?!?! How can that be right?

I don't think the KBB takes popularity into consideration too much, or at least trim-specific popularity.

alex_chung_lee
05-28-2008, 07:08 AM
$9230 can't be right....

if you really like the EP... then talking the seller down and swap later would be cool i think

if you just want a beater.. then buy another car

72chevel
05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
It depends alot on the previous owners maintenance see if you can find out about previous work done to it maybe alot of stuff has been worked on. I would spend a few bucks and have a mechanic check it over and drive it check compression, wheel bearings, ect...

matdbom
05-28-2008, 12:53 PM
do it. and dont wait the year to swap it. talk him down though. ha good luck

itchy5
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
try to bring the price down a bit, check to make sure the previous owner didnt abuse the hell out of it

MugsyTheGr8
05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
At that mileage, alot of components are close to the end of their lifespan, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, engine bearings etc.

If you can not or do not have the skills, time and tools to perform the maintenance, then I would look for something else as a DD for commuting(many more cars with better mileage out there).

i agree. buying that car may end up being really expensive if it was not properly maintained. look elsewhere.

civictype_r04
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Don't do it there are cheaper Honda's to get then in a year sell it and get the EP you want.

FoReVaPmP
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
If it's just a commuter, why go EP? I'd buy an EK Civic (96-00), body style doesn't matter. Try to get a manual and enjoy that 40 MPG.

If you're commuting, the "extras" of an EP aren't going to get used. The extra power, all disc brakes, blah blah blah, is all worthless.

For a person the frequents this site everyday/hour/min. ect.... you sure do hate the Ep3...:mrolleyes: and try to discurage anyone from buying one every chance you get......

why?

robertelegal
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I'll restain my honesty in the future.

Be sure to sand it first. :mbiggrin:

FoReVaPmP
05-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Where did I say I hated the EP? I'm actually considering another one for my wife.

Dude wants a pure commuter, why buy more than needed? I don't want to tell him to buy an EP if I honestly feel it would be unnecessary for his purposes. I guess I could mindlessly say YES BUY AN EP in every thread if that would make everyone happy. Just trying to be helpful. I'll restain my honesty in the future.

:drama:If you want to pick apart my post....... The TS is buying or wants to buy a used and overhauled Ep... It's the make he wants, it's the model he wants. He asked what you think about the car, NOT, what you would buy.

I'm glad that your thinking about buying a Ep for your wife, but are you going to be the same way with her as you are in here? ( I could go back a pull up a few posts of yours that are not favoring the Ep3... if you want)

Oh and don't "restain your honesty in the future" for no-one, that is one of the atributes that I respect, just remember where you are and who you are talking too.

kai-wun
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

The reason I'm considering the EP is because I love the look. If I wanted a beater, I'd buy a beater. But I love the EP's style, the unique hatch, and the dash mounted shifter.

He seller dropped the price down to $6k. He sent me some photos, it looks pretty clean for something that was driven so much. Of course, photos don't matter much. I need to see her in person.

I'm thinking $5k might be worth it, after a brief checkup with a mechanic of course. But I still can't believe the number of KM that thing's driven.

I'm just thinking this is a great opportunity for an EP and k20a2 swap...

However, I'm leaning more and more towards a '94-01 integra/

I've found an '94 RS for ~$5700 with a fully done up JDM front fiasca and rebuilt motor with <100km on it (~64mi).

I've found another '99 SE for the same price, also JDM front with ~80km on it (~49mi).

I've found a '95 GSR for a little cheaper, but it has a lot of miles on it... ~230km (~142mi) ... but it doesn't have the JDM front which I'm in love with.

I think I could settle for not hitting vtec if I could stare at that sexy front.

Orrrr.... EP with a2 swap... decisions decisions decisions

kai-wun
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
More clarification:

I'm not looking for a pure commuter. I was justifying my car purchase by explaining how much time I spend in public transit. Those 4hr could be far better spent doing other things =)

I want a car that looks nice, and the EP definitely fits the bill. The DC2/4 is also sweet.

Call me superficial but I do NOT want a rust bucket. I want something I could drive to a nice restaurant or hotel in. I want something that I wouldn't feel awkward stepping out of in a suit or tux. I like ritzy places, going to them in a 25 year old beater is not the nicest thing in the world. EP on the other hand... I could definitely do.

I think I'm leaning the most towards the '99SE. I'd much rather have the JDM front than the c1 motor, as I can't afford premium nor more insurance hikes due to speeding tickets. I figure I can swap the GSR or ITR motor in down the road when I have the funds.

The '94RS is sweet with the red paintjob and carbon fibre hood, but it lacks AC and my gf will murder me if I don't have AC in the car.... lol.

I think my main priority is uniqueness in looks, and a JDM front teg and an EP fit the bill perfectly. A rustbucket... not so much.

56chevydan
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
The bottom line is that you like the EP3 and just happened to find a high mileage one that you think is a possibility.
Well how much difference in price is a much lower mileage EP3 than this car with very high mileage?? It's probably not worth the lower price for what you're getting. Wait and buy a lower mileage car. You'll be happier in the long run.