PDA

View Full Version : Spoon Duracon knob = crap quality?

DRP967
05-28-2008, 06:47 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1996_89835419
Whats up guys, id first like to admit that im a whore...shift knob whore that is. Ive had the following knobs: Skunk2, OEM rsx optional, S2k, Blox, Modacar gold race, Buddy Club type a, DC Sports billet, and finally a T1R B-Max titanium shift knob...which is my current knob and i love it since its small and fits in the palm of my hand, plus it sits low on the shifter. Well im looking to purchase a plastic plain black knob for the summer, the Spoon Duracon caught my eye. My question is the Spoon Duracon's threads go bad after a while? I heard from people on Honda-Tech who have the Spoon Duracon/aluminum knob, that after a while the threading goes fucked up and the knob becomes loose on the shifter. Anyone can shed some light on this before i plunk down 60 bones. Thanks in advance.

STP03BlueSI
05-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I know my Spoon Titanium one is Garbage. It broke on me at a AutoX event.:meek:

It was one of their first runs with only 4 weld points vs 8:mrolleyes:

T-MacK
05-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Funny I love my black Duracon spoon knob....holly shit that sounded gay!
Anyways...i've had mine for 3 years on my EG with know problems with it coming loose. Its so small and feels great.
The only complaint I have is the spoon emblem they give you is a hard sticker, and it comes off after a'while. I had to Krazy glue mine back on and its been fine since.
Get it you won't regret it.

ep3civic2nr
05-28-2008, 07:13 AM
i had a Spoon Duracon Knob in my EP3 and my Integra I love it. a few of my friends bought them as well.

DRP967
05-28-2008, 07:20 AM
I know my Spoon Titanium one is Garbage. It broke on me at a AutoX event.:meek:

It was one of their first runs with only 4 weld points vs 8:mrolleyes:

Anyways...i've had mine for 3 years on my EG with know problems with it coming loose. Its so small and feels great.
The only complaint I have is the spoon emblem they give you is a hard sticker, and it comes off after a'while. I had to Krazy glue mine back on and its been fine since.

i had a Spoon Duracon Knob in my EP3 and my Integra I love it. a few of my friends bought them as well.

1. Ah so you had the Spoon ti knob...lighter than a chicken nugget i assume? I have heard from a friend that his Spoon ti broke to...wtf bbq you think it wouldnt be titanium and all...:mconfused:

2. Thanks for the input, yeah im looking at since its small (fits nicely in the hand) and is just clean looking, plain and black plastic. I dont plan to put the shift pattern thing on the knob so that shouldnt be a problem. :mbiggrin:

3. Thanks man, seems like a good knob so far.

*i guess this knob will be quality. :mcool:

T-MacK
05-28-2008, 07:24 AM
plain and black plastic. I dont plan to put the shift pattern thing on the knob so that shouldnt be a problem. :mbiggrin:

Its more of a polyurethane feel then a plastic feel.
And you might want to reconsider putting on the spoon label.
If you don't your left with a black knob with a chrome finish on top, which contradicts the colour of the knob and just looks ugly!

phill
05-28-2008, 08:11 AM
had trust, type r, skunk2, hks, buddy club, and now im on a spoon duracon and its my favorite, the sticker fell off pretty quick tho

DRP967
05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
If you don't your left with a black knob with a chrome finish on top, which contradicts the colour of the knob and just looks ugly!

huh really? lol uh oh. I thought the duracon knob was all black? why would it have a chrome top? :mconfused:

DRP967
05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
had trust, type r, skunk2, hks, buddy club, and now im on a spoon duracon and its my favorite, the sticker fell off pretty quick tho

how long till the sticker came off?
thanks man

Draw7Seven
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Stay off the knobs, dude.

powdbyrice
05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
how long till the sticker came off?
thanks man

judging by the pic in your original post, not long...

Strife
05-28-2008, 10:18 AM

I had a feeling that would happen.

STP03BlueSI
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
1. Ah so you had the Spoon ti knob...lighter than a chicken nugget i assume? I have heard from a friend that his Spoon ti broke to...wtf bbq you think it wouldnt be titanium and all...:mconfused:

Yep. It is one POS..it sits in my car reminding me never to get Spoon again.:whip:

Princess
05-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I have the Buddy Club Type A shift knob on my ep3 and it feels sooooo good. Seriously. Why did you get rid of it? I am totally content with mine.

http://www.dcrmotorsports.com/boutique/images/buddy_club_gear_knob_a.jpg

heinzz10
05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
i made my own spoon aluminum knob, best $0 i ever spent.

DRP967
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM

*update i picked up the duracon knob today from SSR (one our vendors) and the knob is all black...no chrome on top or anything. You sure you got a Spoon knob? :mbiggrin: :mwink:

DRP967
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I have the Buddy Club Type A shift knob on my ep3 and it feels sooooo good. Seriously. Why did you get rid of it? I am totally content with mine.

http://www.dcrmotorsports.com/boutique/images/buddy_club_gear_knob_a.jpg

I like ball knobs but im not fan of ball knobs with a "neck". :) I thought i could learn to like it but it wasnt happening so i sold it to a friend who has a premium white pearl type S, the knob looks right at home in his car. :-P

ep3man
05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
my boy had that knob on his eg no complaints from him i like that one alot too so jus try it out

T-MacK
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
*update i picked up the duracon knob today from SSR (one our vendors) and the knob is all black...no chrome on top or anything. You sure you got a Spoon knob? :mbiggrin: :mwink:

Trust me its real spoon ..I don't put bullshit on my cars.
Just wait when you get it...It is all black. But the part that says "spoon" with the shift patern on it is a sticker you have to put on to complete the knob.And underneath is a chrome finish. Just crazy glue it like I did the first time like I did so it won't come off.

MugsyTheGr8
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
sux that you dont have the stock one anymore. i can honestly say that it is one of, if not the best, shift knob for our cars. go figure.

DRP967
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Trust me its real spoon ..I don't put bullshit on my cars.
Just wait when you get it...It is all black. But the part that says "spoon" with the shift patern on it is a sticker you have to put on to complete the knob.And underneath is a chrome finish. Just crazy glue it like I did the first time like I did so it won't come off.
http://www.shopresponse.com/spoon_sports_duracon_shift_knob.jpg
Yeah i trust ya, i already have the knob on my car. (SSR is in Sunnyvale, about 20 minutes from my house) The knob is all black, no chrome finish on the top of the knob. I know most people would put the shift pattern "hard" decal on there but im leaving it off since im trying to keep everything murdered aka blacked out...and also i think the knob looks better without the shift pattern thing anyways. So im a bit puzzled to read that you mention that the knob has a chrome finish on top...cause the knob is all black.

DRP967
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
*Unless your talking about the sticker? i be confused...lol :mconfused::mbiggrin:

civictype_r04
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I have wanted the black one for a long time I might get one and swap it with my skunk2 for a while.

T-MacK
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.shopresponse.com/spoon_sports_duracon_shift_knob.jpg
Yeah i trust ya, i already have the knob on my car. (SSR is in Sunnyvale, about 20 minutes from my house) The knob is all black, no chrome finish on the top of the knob. I know most people would put the shift pattern "hard" decal on there but im leaving it off since im trying to keep everything murdered aka blacked out...and also i think the knob looks better without the shift pattern thing anyways. So im a bit puzzled to read that you mention that the knob has a chrome finish on top...cause the knob is all black.

If you peel back that sticker decal in that pic ...mine is silver.
I got minr like 3 years a'go they might be making them different now!

NyQuil
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
use super glue on the sticker... i LOVEEEEE mine.

DRP967
05-29-2008, 07:04 PM
If you peel back that sticker decal in that pic ...mine is silver.
I got minr like 3 years a'go they might be making them different now!

I guess they are making em different now :meek:, my Duracon knob is all black. :)

DRP967
05-29-2008, 07:04 PM
use super glue on the sticker... i LOVEEEEE mine.

Yeah if i ever do decide to put the sticker on, ima use super glue.
*Thanks for the tip guys.

J-Bird
05-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Yep. It is one POS..it sits in my car reminding me never to get Spoon again.:whip:

Funny i got the Ti one in mine and one in my girls car and they have both been great. No complaints at all and they don't get too hot in the summer and aren't bad when if hits -45ish in the winter either.