PDA

View Full Version : DIY removing scratches from headlights?

jimmy`
05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Searched but I couldn't find it... I only found blacking out headlights..

Sorry! But does anyone have it, video/DIY/Tut? :mredface:

oogy-boogy
05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Start with the least abrasive (plastic polish, wax, glaze) and drop down as needed (wet sand, 1500 grit, 1000 grit, etc).

!@#$%
05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
This stuff has worked the best out of all the products I've used so far. It's also the most expensive.

http://site.innovationestore.com/images/family.php?id=car-care-rubbing-compound

Took the scratches from 2000 grit wet sanding out like a champ.

twep
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I've read somewhere to use toothpaste... I do not know if it really works or not, never tried it myself

I am also too scared to use sand paper on my headlights.. but I've heard it works as well

!@#$%
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
2000 grit sandpaper is like a cat's tongue.

MugsyTheGr8
05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I've read somewhere to use toothpaste... I do not know if it really works or not, never tried it myself

I am also too scared to use sand paper on my headlights.. but I've heard it works as well

toothpaste is nowhere near abrasive enough to remove scratches. its better for scuffs or stains. super fine grit wet sanding is a good bet

silver hatch
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Ok, so if the scratches aren't deep, would some kind of plastic scratch remover work if we don't use sandpaper?

jimmy`
05-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Yeah I was thinking of trying it anyways, see how it is, maybe make a DIY if anything just do to do it. If anything else goes wrong type-r projectors :mconfused:

oogy-boogy
05-29-2008, 04:28 AM
2k grit sandpaper is used on clear coat. Just be sure to use a drop of detergent and a water supply for lube. Soak the paper prior to sanding as well.

jenuyin
06-04-2008, 05:31 AM
I did a scratch removal on my Ep 2 weeks ago. I took all the pics so I could attempt a DIY but i am away from my house to upload some pics. I wanted to attack it myself but i went ahead and bought a kit from the local auto shop. It was 18 bucks and it came with the sandpaper, buffing cloth, cleaner, and the sealant. looks brand new and will take from 15-30 minutes per light depending on your dedication.

playap07
06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
i got i think sratch x from walmart and used it on a huge ass scratch i got from a fuckin shoppin car! took out the scratch like it never happened! i havent tried it on my light but ill try it it doenst seem to fuck up the paint at all! just removers what ever is on top of the clear coat! good 9 or 8 dollars i ever spent:mwink:

silver hatch
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
i got i think sratch x from walmart and used it on a huge ass scratch i got from a fuckin shoppin car! took out the scratch like it never happened! i havent tried it on my light but ill try it it doenst seem to fuck up the paint at all! just removers what ever is on top of the clear coat! good 9 or 8 dollars i ever spent:mwink:

Was that stuff in the automotive section?

playap07
06-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Was that stuff in the automotive section?

yup!

silver hatch
06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Oh, but scratch x probably wont work on plastic though. I tried scratch doctor on mine and nothing happend. It probably needs to be stronger to use on plastic since a thin layer of solid plastic must be removed to eliminate the appearance of the scratch. Clearcoat shouldn't need very much.

oldskoofame
06-06-2008, 12:30 AM
estimated time for beginners: 30 ~40 minutes

headlight cleaning materials:
- water
- 1500 grit sand paper
- 2000 grit sand paper
- polishing compound
- clean terry towel
- car wax

1st stage:
1. wet the headlamp free from any small particles left over from
2. wet the 1500 sand paper
3. sand the headlight using ample amounts of water
the purpose of the water is to prevent clogs underneath the sandpaper
and it also keeps the temperature down. don't be afraid to sand your headlights with sandpaper. I know it's something new and daring since you are all used to using soft towels to clean your cars. it's ironic how rough & abrasive surfaces are used to create a smooth finish.
4. sand the headlight corner to corner very thoroughly - this will cut away all the surface defects and nasty uneven stuff. sand! sand! sand! until you can see the clarity as you wipe the water away.

2nd stage:
1. wet the headlamp
2. wet the 2000 sand paper
3. sand the headlight using ample amounts of water
4. sand the headlight corner to corner very thoroughly - this will cut away the depths that the 1500 sand paper made previously. It cuts it down to microscopic crevices.
5. wash.
the 2000 grit sanding is as equally important as the first stage. Try to be patient and keep on sanding evenly throughout the surface. Sand it in even curcular motion. If you don't know when to stop or how much is enough, look closely and see if all the swirls are even.

3rd stage:
by this time, ur headlamp will look very cloudy. u probably wont' be able to see the inside of it. this 3rd stage will require lots of hand and arm power. I don't suggest using a rotary unless u are experienced.
1. take the polishing compound (I use Mother's)
2. squeeze just a dime size onto the cloudy surface
3. get ur 2 shocker fingers and wrap it with the terry towel
4. work the polishing compound in a circular cuffing motion
5. press down as you polish it. give it some friction.
*the more you polish it, the more shine.

touch it up with some car wax

finished! :)

If there's a certain scratch u want to remove, ur gonna have to sand it down to an depth of that scratch all around the headlights. so basically ur cutting a couple layers of clear plastic. But the instructions still stay the way it is :).

silver hatch
06-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Good write up! That's yer diy right there people!

silver hatch
06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I was reading up on this stuff and it seems like it would even work without using sand paper. No one's ever tried something like this?

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/bf/55/94_1_sbl.JPG

k20z1
06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
thx gonna try this.

silver hatch
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I just ordered that 3 piece novus set. I'll post up how it works in about a week or so.

3dkahuna
06-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I was reading up on this stuff and it seems like it would even work without using sand paper. No one's ever tried something like this?

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/bf/55/94_1_sbl.JPG

I looked into this product as well. My lights right now are in serious need of some lovin

jw1
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
So did the Novus stuff work?

silver hatch
06-28-2008, 02:08 AM
I forgot to post that I tried one application of the set yesterday and it does work. I didn't use any sand paper and almost all the yellow haze and light scratches came out. I have some heavier scratches though that I'm going to spend more time on this weekend with more of the #3 bottle. Hopefully they come out. But yeah, this stuff is worth getting. I spent about $13 shipped for the 3pc. set on ebay.

T_Virus
06-28-2008, 07:52 AM
post some pics of before and after...

irrational
06-28-2008, 11:14 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_t1RBw0IGXA&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_t1RBw0IGXA&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JUst ordered this =]

mikhsoj
06-28-2008, 11:45 AM
OMG hey ryan! sups man! i didnt know u were still on ephatch. havent talked to or seen u in forever man. -josh-

silver hatch
06-28-2008, 04:28 PM
post some pics of before and after...

Well, I already started on it though, so I guess I can't now. I can take pics of them now, but that would probably be pointless. I tried using more of the #3 bottle today to get the deeper scratches out and it looks better. The only thing is that you have to use a lot of arm power to keep scrubbing at the scratches at a right angle. There are still some scratches you can notice, but my lenses were really messed up, so I'm satisfied with the way they look.

2005rollingegg
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Great vid Irrational. Everytime I shine my headlights. They glaze up within months. I think it has something to do with my blacked out headlights.

ep3beginner
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
hey does any one know if honda sells only the clear part of the headlight becuase im broke and dont want to buy the whole headlight

revelations
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
unlikely....

02_epdriver
08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Meguiars has a bottle called plastic x. That stuff is supposed to be pretty good.

magmagik 1
08-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I have to get one of those products, got some scraches I want gone!!

jimmy`
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_t1RBw0IGXA&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_t1RBw0IGXA&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JUst ordered this =]

nice, you ordered it for yourself? how'd it do.. wanna do mines? :mbiggrin:

maconperformanc
08-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I used plasticX yesterday, wasn't overly impressed. It did clear up some of the lense though.

clujalolo
08-22-2008, 05:23 PM
ok i i did this with the 1500 grit and 2000 sand paper, and after all that i did some polishing with polishing compound by turtl wax. ANd my freakin headlight is all fogged up. Its not horribly bad, but u can see the difference. Do i need to use something else when doing the last step? like maybe a rubbing compound. Its getting annoying looking at that headlight, i'll get some pics of it later.

drjd888
08-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I forgot to post that I tried one application of the set yesterday and it does work. I didn't use any sand paper and almost all the yellow haze and light scratches came out. I have some heavier scratches though that I'm going to spend more time on this weekend with more of the #3 bottle. Hopefully they come out. But yeah, this stuff is worth getting. I spent about $13 shipped for the 3pc. set on ebay.

Did you get the 2oz set or the 8oz. If you did get the 2oz set, was it enough for both headlights?

clujalolo
09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
ok i i did this with the 1500 grit and 2000 sand paper, and after all that i did some polishing with polishing compound by turtl wax. ANd my freakin headlight is all fogged up. Its not horribly bad, but u can see the difference. Do i need to use something else when doing the last step? like maybe a rubbing compound. Its getting annoying looking at that headlight, i'll get some pics of it later.

ANYBODY? i need help, ill post some pics to show how it looks tomorrow. its looks pretty cloudy.

clujalolo
09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
BUMP, i need help.

irrational
09-06-2008, 06:11 PM
nice, you ordered it for yourself? how'd it do.. wanna do mines? :mbiggrin:
it takes some time but they come out like new :mcool:

JDM3
09-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Every time a headlight cleaning thread comes up I always recommend the 3M restoration kit. It works so well and it's only like $15 beans.

BlackEP9
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Dude you messed up because you only went down to 2000 grit. Its not fine enough. You need 3000 grit for the final sanding before the polishing, and you can only get it with the 3M kit as far as I have found (looked around).
I did the same thing.

icarus.na
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
ANYBODY? i need help, ill post some pics to show how it looks tomorrow. its looks pretty cloudy.

order the 3M headlight restoration kit from the online 3M eStore.

it works. PERIOD.

Ep3_boy1
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm ordering the 3M restoration kit soon as i get my pay check thursday.

clujalolo
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
oooo i see, well looks like ill be ordering this then, cus this headlight is really foggy, i never knew there was a 3000 Grit sandpaper. LOL i went to this store and asked for 2000 grit and the lady looked at me like i was asking for plutonium. this was at a paint store. dont ask why i was there, i went ALL over town looking for 2000 grit sandpaper.

bigo711
09-12-2008, 09:26 AM
before sanding down them..try PLASTX from Maguiar. They work well for minor scratches.
work better if u use a machine polisher