PDA

View Full Version : knock when steering

itchy5
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey guys i have a small problem. when i turn the steering wheel i get a small knocking noise.. its hard to hear when driving and it sounds like its in the engine bay or right behind the dash.. car drives fine and turns fine.. could it be steering tie rods? :mconfused: ill look around in the engine bay later tonight i could have just bumped something .. there are alot of bumps here in this city :mad2:

EDIT: Checked tie rods in engine bay, looks fine to me.. could it be something in the steering column?

Drew1d
05-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Did you recently change the front suspension? Are the top hats aligned correctly? Did you put a new plastic bearing in, did you grease it?

shanewdude
05-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Could be the u-joint in one of your axles. Check your cv shaft boots.

itchy5
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
yeah im going to the shop to get an alignment tomorrow, so i'll get the boots looked at as well.

johnnyhatchback
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Did you figure this out? Let me know because I have a bunch of noise coming from my front end too. Part of it is a popping type noise when steering, even if I’m stopped and I turn the wheel I get that. And everything on the suspension is stock.

TWR176
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
could be your steering rack also or if you have sleeve coilovers when the coil gets kinda old and beat up from the bootom it tends to pop as it turns on the perch when you turn the steering wheel.

ghettotech
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
i had the same popping/knocking noises coming from my front suspension too...i just greased up the bolt on the top hats and everything stopped...but good luck on your dilema man

itchy5
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Did you figure this out? Let me know because I have a bunch of noise coming from my front end too. Part of it is a popping type noise when steering, even if I’m stopped and I turn the wheel I get that. And everything on the suspension is stock.

yeah my knocking noise stopped after a while.. maybe i was hearing things. It was only very minor :flame: maybe try what ghetto said and grease up those suspension ends a bit :smash:

johnnyhatchback
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
when you say you greased the tophat bolts...the three that hold it in the car or the one that holds the hat on the spring...or both? did you just put grease on the bolts? what kind?

johnnyhatchback
06-09-2008, 08:53 AM
So I fixed this horrible noise this weekend, it was the center bolt that mounts the top hat to the strut (the one you need the allen wrench for), that was about a full turn loose. Tightened that up and it fixed almost everything. I still have a small popping sound coming from the steering rack but its nothing compared to the noise that strut and spring was making. :suspicious: