PDA

View Full Version : [request] DIY: engine removal

phatmastaflip
05-30-2008, 06:50 AM
does anybody have step by step instructions and/or tips on removing the engine in a garage.

i have read the factory service manual but the pictures SUCK and they are doing it with a lift.

player757
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
kinda brief but here we go. disconnect all wires first. place jack under oil pan for support remove left and right motor mount bolts, secure engine with cherry picker remove front and back mm bolts jack up cherry picker. move away from car slowly enjoy empty engine bay.

RedSiBaron
05-31-2008, 12:24 PM
kinda brief but here we go. disconnect all wires first. place jack under oil pan for support remove left and right motor mount bolts, secure engine with cherry picker remove front and back mm bolts jack up cherry picker. move away from car slowly enjoy empty engine bay.

i should add that after engine is removed a small dance should then ensue, WITHIN the engine bay

talonXracer
05-31-2008, 12:30 PM
It is very easy.

Disconnect the exhaust mani and engine harness(from ECU). Remove the intake piping, vacuum, fuel line and battery. Remove the bumper cover and remove the rad and A/C condensor mounts. Remove the rad. Unbolt the A/C compressor/lines from the engine and bungie it to the frame. Disconnect the shifter cables. Disconnect the slave cylinder. Remove the axle nut's, LCA bolts and allow the LCA to flop around under, then pull the axles from the trans and intermediate shaft. place jack under the oil pan and remove pass side mount and drivers mount. install a spreader bar and connect that to the cherry picker. Now unbolt the rear and front mounts. Lift it out slowly looking for anything that isnt disconnected.

!@#$%
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
It is very easy.

Disconnect the exhaust mani and engine harness(from ECU). Remove the intake piping, vacuum, fuel line and battery. Remove the bumper cover and remove the rad and A/C condensor mounts. Remove the rad. Unbolt the A/C compressor/lines from the engine and bungie it to the frame. Disconnect the shifter cables. Disconnect the slave cylinder. Remove the axle nut's, LCA bolts and allow the LCA to flop around under, then pull the axles from the trans and intermediate shaft. place jack under the oil pan and remove pass side mount and drivers mount. install a spreader bar and connect that to the cherry picker. Now unbolt the rear and front mounts. Lift it out slowly looking for anything that isnt disconnected.

Wow, you make it sound like 2+2. :becky:

talonXracer
05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow, you make it sound like 2+2. :becky:

Well it is....With the right tools....:mwink:

phatmastaflip
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
thanks everyone... you are all so helpful here on this forum and i really appreciate it.

QUESTION: im guessing the engine along with the transmission is coming out from the top. please confirm.

what does LCA stand for? what is the best place to put jack stands?

--- i will contribute to this forum as soon as i get my hands dirty (whenever my engine comes in)

robhep3
06-01-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks everyone... you are all so helpful here on this forum and i really appreciate it.

QUESTION: im guessing the engine along with the transmission is coming out from the top. please confirm.

As a general rule of thumb, yes.

what does LCA stand for? what is the best place to put jack stands?

Lower Control Arm. Underneath the subframe (between the points where the LCAs mount to it)

Good luck. Take your time and triple check everything. Mark and/or bag any bolts you take out so you know where to put them back.

talonXracer
06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I found it helps to have a bunch of zip-lock baggies and a sharpie pen handy to put the nuts and bolts in, it also doesnt hurt to take some digital photos to use as reference later on.

lldiesel386ll
06-01-2008, 06:07 PM
:mmad: why wasn't something like this available two days ago!:mfrown:
lol...information like that would have made taking the engine out of my bay a much smaller pain

lil_Eggy
06-01-2008, 08:48 PM
.... Underneath the subframe (between the points where the LCAs mount to it)...

in reference to jackstand placement, how about the factory lift spots?....behind the front wheels and infront of the rear wheels...as stated in the owner's manual when jacking the car up for a spare tire change

phatmastaflip
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
^ i just used the factory lift spots! works GREAT! o and BTW

WHERE do i put the chain of the engine crane. i used the left and right motor mounts but i saw a HOOK on the transmission held by one bolt. it is gold in color.

Anyone know if that HOOK is a spot to lift the engine and trans?

davisj3537
06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
^ i just used the factory lift spots! works GREAT! o and BTW

WHERE do i put the chain of the engine crane. i used the left and right motor mounts but i saw a HOOK on the transmission held by one bolt. it is gold in color.

Anyone know if that HOOK is a spot to lift the engine and trans?

Do not use that hook...stick with the engine mounts. That hook is the shift linkage so unless you want it ripped out of the tranny then stay with the engine mounts. I wrote a brief engine swap DIY...fish around for it.

phatmastaflip
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
ok now i just need to hook up the engine. so where do i put the chain? i have one on the passenger side mount and the other WHERE?

phatmastaflip
06-13-2008, 09:47 AM
o and another question... how do you "prime" the oil? like to make sure its not gonna have a dry start

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Pull the 15amp ecu fuse out of the fuse box and crank it over for a good 15 seconds. I was under the assumption this is only for turbos:nerd: