PDA

View Full Version : Opinions!

parkjehhyun
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
what are some of the best suspension upgrades i can do for my car?

i already have front and rear sway & strut bars & a lower tie. :sorry:

dichotomous
05-30-2008, 09:36 AM
what are some of the best suspension upgrades i can do for my car?

i already have front and rear sway & strut bars & a lower tie. :sorry:

well you went backwards as far as the important modifications go, and you forgot to search as well, this is extremely well covered.

but I'll be nice and say the best suspension upgrades you can do are the ones that fit your budget, driving style, and driving purpose. Important considerations that will make this an easier question for YOU to answer when peicing together a new suspension kit are:
*cost
*street or track or autox
*how aggressive are you
*how do you want your car to feel
*is how the handleing feels more important than looks, are either of those more imporant than actual handeling (how fast you will get around a corner)

if you drive at the track or autox and are very very aggressive with the throttle and have a suspension specifically designed to do this and a special alignment, you can get the car to handle neutrally on throttle and vastly oversteer off throttle which could help you pull around tight corners better in that course. if you have this setup on the street and are not super aggressive and happen to have less than perfect conditions for whatever turn you have coming up, you are likely to spin and go out of control and crash, also even if you dont, your tires could get worn real fast, or your car could be way way way to harsh to drive and just not a good solution.
if you drive on the street and just want a slightly lower suspension that feels a little flatter around turns and people will tell you it looks nice and notice the lack of body roll in the car around turns, you can do that very easily and pretty cheeply too. but if you drive this setup on the track aggressively you will understeer and plow the car around and not go as fast and it wouldnt be a good solution.

from what I have read of the opinions of some seemingly very experianced suspension tinkerers on this site, its best to figure these things out before you bother with ordering anything

Zzyzx
05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Your suspension hierarchy

1. Driver
2. Tires
3. Alignment
4. Dampers
5. Springs
6. anti-roll bars
7. bushings
8. chassis bracing

Start at the top and work down.... but obviously swap out worn or broken parts 1st.

T-MacK
05-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Your suspension hierarchy

1. Driver
2. Tires
3. Alignment
4. Dampers
5. Springs
6. anti-roll bars
7. bushings
8. chassis bracing

Start at the top and work down.... but obviously swap out worn or broken parts 1st.

Just take numebr 3 and put that last......everytime you lower or alter your suspension you should get an alignment.
Best thing to do is get all the parts you need, then throw it all on at the same time then go out and get an alignment.

parkjehhyun
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
and i can't seem to find roll-bars. where can i get me some? :mangel:

Zzyzx
05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
"driver" as in SEATS?

'cause those are esssspensiveeeee :(

No, driver as in you, the nut behind the wheel.

ep_hatcher_510
05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
"driver" as in SEATS?

'cause those are esssspensiveeeee :(

:yell:

liquid cooled
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
you forgot to search as well, this is extremely well covered.

Seriously your kidding me that your going to get on some guy for this, the site is pretty much back to the stone age for christ sakes. Way to be a bag O' douche.

But anways, I would suggest quality coilovers and then a brake swap or upgrade. And wheels and tires obviously.

T-MacK
05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Spings...shocks...camber kit...rims and tires and your fucking golden!!!

ep_hatcher_510
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
If you are serious about performance, improve on your driving skills, then i would say sticky tires, because without these it wont matter how good of a suspension setup you got, it will still be crap. zzyzx got it down with his list. but then like most of us here we just cant wait to dump our cars to the floor.