PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber

parkjehhyun
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
this is SO annoying; oxidated carbon fiber.

i know basic maintenance can help it last longer but it seems liek oxidation is unavoidable. what do you guys do to get rid of oxidation or to prevent it even?

i understand waxing it frequently can help prolong its life but anyone know any DIY's or anything to get RID of oxidation? HELP! my wing & spare hood depend on it.

T-MacK
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Buy a better hood!!!
Quality means a'lot with these things.
I've had mine on my EG for 5 1/2 years and it has no fading or peeling or oxidation. And this hood has seen winters!

player757
06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
i got a vis mugen hood id say its great quality but i have lil spots starting to form. time to get out the wet sand. and if it screw it up time to paint

T-MacK
06-01-2008, 07:26 AM
i got a vis mugen hood id say its great quality but i have lil spots starting to form. time to get out the wet sand. and if it screw it up time to paint

If its bubling all ready ....I'd say its shit quality.
I've put my CF hood through 6 canadian winters and don't have any hood damage at all!

talonXracer
06-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Without an opaque paint applied, the resin used in the matrix to form the parts will start to breakdown. You can wetsand and apply a clearcote to help, but it is not UV proof. Nothing will keep it pristine except opaque paint. Even if it is still nice looking after some time the matrix is breaking down and it's strength really suffers.

rapgonrn
06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
i have a VIS hood and im starting to get oxidation where the windshield spray nozzle is. how do i get rid of it??

frm_808
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
polish and polish wheel. done it and it takes it away

Aries
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
If its bubling all ready ....I'd say its shit quality.
I've put my CF hood through 6 canadian winters and don't have any hood damage at all!

What brand hood do you own?

I have a 2 year old Seibon hood and it's trashed.
And I'm not one to let the car get dirty.

thetunersource
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
reclear the hood, it can come out extremely well

Emerica459
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I had a little bit of oxidation on my VIS cf hood and got some 3M marine wax and restorer (for fiberglass). I applied it like regular wax, and took it off with a buffer. Then i used a coat of automotive wax over top of that and it came out alot nicer then when i started. I would say another 2 sessions of that and the hood will be looking good as new.

Mind you i did all of this today, so next round ill take some pictures and you can be the judge of the results. I know i am happy with em though.

ShadySi
07-19-2008, 04:41 PM
i finally decided to bite the bullet and fix my wing...

before:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1122.jpg
during (before clear coat):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1124.jpg
final:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1126.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1130.jpg

SO GLAD i finally did it woo

its not as clear and cleaa as a professional clear coat.. but you can't beat it for 15$ in materials.. and i have plenty left over :msmile:

minivan_assassin
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I need to reclear my hood, but I'm so scared of fucking it up when I sand it. What grit sandpaper did you use?

ShadySi
07-19-2008, 05:32 PM
1000 & 1500. my wing was so bad i figred.. if i mess it up I'll just paint it.

Ep3T0n3y
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I need to reclear my hood, but I'm so scared of fucking it up when I sand it. What grit sandpaper did you use?

dont be. Its really fool proof. There is so much clear coat unless you jst go crazy with the sanding your not gonna fuck it up.

I used 400 grit till all the oxidation was gone, then smoothed it out with 600, than clear coated it with 3 or 4 coats. Turned out legit.

Ep3T0n3y
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM

by the looks of the other wing.... looks like your not a fan of waxing your cars?
which would explain the oxidation to.

mattism78
07-20-2008, 02:00 PM
That reclear job looks awesome. When I had a CF hood on my 200sx I would wax it almost weekly to help. It still started to haze. A guy I know tried reclearing his CF hood, and I guess he didn't prep enough. Now it's nice and glossy over the haze. I think if I ever get CF parts again I'm going to just paint them.

ep3allen
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
That's pretty good! If the oxidation isn't as bad as the last picture you can use some rubbing compound and buff it out to a shine with a buffer/polisher. Depending on how harsh the compound is the less you have to buff. Its almost like liquid sand paper. After compounding use a scratch remover and then wax. I've restored a few Carbon fiber pieces of mine. Sanding is the final option. As for the bubbling i think thats done.

ShadySi
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
by the looks of the other wing.... looks like your not a fan of waxing your cars?
which would explain the oxidation to.

lmao.. thats my project car.. there are many other things to worry about other than paint.. the whole CAR needs a paint job.. don't judge haha:mconfused:

I baby my ep :P

gutierrez626
07-23-2008, 10:56 PM
i finally decided to bite the bullet and fix my wing...

before:
during (before clear coat):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1124.jpg
final:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1126.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/Lookinginstereo/my%20car/IMG_1130.jpg

SO GLAD i finally did it woo

its not as clear and cleaa as a professional clear coat.. but you can't beat it for 15$ in materials.. and i have plenty left over :msmile:
what did u use i just bought a wing and the top half is so dull i need it 911 by this weekend i was planning on doing a clay rub on the whole car can i do that on the cf aswell please help all info needed lol

trogdor48430
07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
im thinkin about gettin a cf hood and wing are they a pain to care for, and i want something that would last,anyone know if showstoppers cfs products are good quilty , dont wanta spent the extra money on cf and have to paint it in 2 years

gutierrez626
07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
i belive there siebon...atleast the mugen rep wing is

supreme
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
looks good!

ShadySi
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
what did u use i just bought a wing and the top half is so dull i need it 911 by this weekend i was planning on doing a clay rub on the whole car can i do that on the cf aswell please help all info needed lol

wetsand 1000 grit until all the oxidation/dull spots are gone
wetsand 1500 grit to double check and smooth over
spray can automotive clear

and you're done :mcool:

don't expect the shine and clarity of a professional clear.. i'm not sure how to do that lol.. i looks bumpy almost matte up close.. it still has some chine, but its not supee smooth. I think it needs a polish to get that shinny.

1fasthb
10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
wetsand 1000 grit until all the oxidation/dull spots are gone
wetsand 1500 grit to double check and smooth over
spray can automotive clear

and you're done :mcool:

don't expect the shine and clarity of a professional clear.. i'm not sure how to do that lol.. i looks bumpy almost matte up close.. it still has some chine, but its not supee smooth. I think it needs a polish to get that shinny.

just wondering but after the sanding you do wash the hood then clear cost the hood right? and should this be able to be all done in 1 day also how long should i wait for each coat of clear to put on?

EP3tuner410
10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
just wondering but after the sanding you do wash the hood then clear cost the hood right? and should this be able to be all done in 1 day also how long should i wait for each coat of clear to put on?

You always use a prep cleaner after you sand so you don't end up with dirt and contamination issues!

For you guys who don't have access to prep cleaners just use windex.

It's what a lot of old school body guys used back in the day to help the paint adhere to the panel.

1fasthb
11-01-2010, 09:26 AM
You always use a prep cleaner after you sand so you don't end up with dirt and contamination issues!

For you guys who don't have access to prep cleaners just use windex.

It's what a lot of old school body guys used back in the day to help the paint adhere to the panel.

well after i wet sand'd i used liguid soap to clean the hood and then pray'd clear from a can on it and it looks alote better then what it did, but doesnt looks brand new but still better then what it was just have to wait to get a new hood in few months in no rush tho

Tortoise
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
If you jus get a coat of clear put on the hood before u ever put it on wont ypu be goood? Im waiting for my hood fenders lip and spoiler to come in and i was gonna get them cleared and then put them on.

EP3tuner410
11-10-2010, 07:47 PM
well after i wet sand'd i used liguid soap to clean the hood and then pray'd clear from a can on it and it looks alote better then what it did, but doesnt looks brand new but still better then what it was just have to wait to get a new hood in few months in no rush tho

As long as the surface was clean of contaminants then you are normally good.

My only thing is without anything to help adhear the clear to the panel it's hard to say how long it will last.

But since you are looking to get a new hood a temp fix can never hurt.