PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if this is "normal"

natesi
11-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Are these problems normal??

1--with the A/C on (to remove humidity from the interior) and the rear defrost on, with the vents at about 80% of power, the head lights were pretty dim at idle.

2--with all fans off at idle, I can hear a light ticking sound from inside the car. Is this the injectors?

3--I'm sure this one isn't normal, but I don't know what do it about it since I'm sure the dealership will say, "we can't recreate the problem". BUT.... occasionally, when I'm just cursing along the car starts pinging like MAD. I'm just accelerating like normal between 2500-3000 RPMs (in that neighborhood) and it's pinging the whole time. Then it goes away and doesn't do it. I've been driving with my stereo off for the last couple weeks and it hasn't really done it. But as soon as I think the problem goes away, it happens again. I don't know how to recreate this problem or what makes it happen. I always use Chevron gas. I was using 87 octane at first but switch to 89 octane when this started happening. Neither seems to make a difference. Today I put Texaco 87 in it, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway is this the computer making adjustments or something? I hope it's normal because there's no way aside from a miracle I'm going to be able to recreate this problem at the dealership, and I know predetonation is bad. It always happens with the car fully warmed up. Almost like it's over heating, but the gauge reads at just over 1/3 hot, like it always does. Infact, the temp gauge NEVER MOVES once the car is warmed up, which kind of makes me believe it's not a very reliable indicator.

myeverlovinsir
11-14-2002, 06:41 PM
best guess is your valves bud. They make a nice clicking sound
when at idle. jmo (try 5w30 it will quiet them down a bit).

btw: I would also suggest you check out a search of throtle camble
slack. This may remedy what you are experiencing at 4 and 5th speeds. I took up my slack to 5 mm. the stock recommends 13mm.

hth

natesi
11-15-2002, 06:43 AM
Thanks,

Anyone else? I'd really appreciate some input about these things so I know how firm to be when I talk to the dealership.

-nate

sonic imperial
11-15-2002, 07:04 AM
I have the same problem when cruising and you back off the gas and press down again, the car jerks for a sec. I wish it was just smooth like an automatic. Is there a solution for that?

Si4U2NV
11-15-2002, 04:03 PM
for the jerking around thing... there is a solution... itz called a CLUTCH... u gotta get used to these thingz people.... and idunnoz bout the sound ur talkin about with the pinging... but sometimez when im drivin i hear a load and EXTREMELY scary sound like someonez knockin on my windowz trying to get in...REALLLLLLY REALLLY LOUD... idunnoz what it is but it scarez the crap outta me and i want it to stop...

-Mike:'(

02blksi
11-16-2002, 09:53 AM
ticking sound. ---- I really think its the injectors, if the ticking goes away (sound diminishes as the engine revs higher) then its the injectors. valve tick would be noticeable throughout the rpm band the tick will get louder as the engine speed increases. Injector tick is most noticed at idle, it can be confirmed by holding a long screwdriver (metal end down) and touching the tip of the screwdriver at the base of the injectors (were it meets the manifold) then put your ear on the other end of the screwdriver, now listen, That sound is going to sound exactly like what you are hearing at idle. IMO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, unless the ticking gets louder and can be heard from the interior when accelerating. (valves out of whack --pretty bad for it to be noticeable from the cabin-- or detonation bad gas etc.)... hope that helps, this method is not full proof, but in my REAL world experience it works best. --Joe :)

freedomgli
11-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by natesi
Are these problems normal??

...occasionally, when I'm just cursing along the car starts pinging like MAD. I'm just accelerating like normal between 2500-3000 RPMs (in that neighborhood) and it's pinging the whole time. Then it goes away and doesn't do it.... I always use Chevron gas. I was using 87 octane at first but switch to 89 octane when this started happening. Neither seems to make a difference. Today I put Texaco 87 in it, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway is this the computer making adjustments or something?

I think that you've made a pretty good assesment of this particular problem. I've experienced this same problem in a multitude of vehicles. It is most prolific when I change brands of fuel. It takes the computer anywhere between 5 minutes to a day to get sorted back out again. And during this time the catalytic converter will cause the exhaust to smell worse than usual. If I stay with that brand of fuel it will eventually run fine, but as soon as I change to a different brand, it would happen again. At first I thought that I was getting bad gas or something, but I think that this is fairly normal. Many drivers simply aren't sensitive enough to notice it. I also think that the problem may be better or worse depending what part of the nation you live in and what season it is (as far as different fuel forumulas go that would affect this).

Do you always purchase your gas at the same Chevron station or various Chevron stations? All Chevrons in a given area would use fuel from the same reformation factory, but there are other factors that could slightly affect the fuel quality, such as storage tank condition, temperature, etc. So I am stumped as to why this problem would keep occurring if you are using the same gas each time.

I'd stick with the octane fuel that Honda recommends. If your car is relatively stock you won't see appreciable mileage or performance gains using a higher octane fuel. And I wouldn't give the engine too much sympathy, other than letting it properly warm up before really gassing it. Drive it however you want. The rev limiter was put there for a reason. It was designed to take it. And long down the road when the engine finally does fail, you'll have the perfect opportunity to do an engine conversion and some really fun performance mods. I think that eventually engine conversions for the EP and the DC5 will be as cheap as they are for other Hondas.

natesi
11-16-2002, 05:25 PM
I always get my gas at the same Chevron station. In fact, I think the only gas I've ever put in my car (aside from this week) has been at this station.

Once I did notice it right after fueling up; maybe they got a shipment from a different supplier or something. But it usually happens well after 5 minutes or a day after fueling up.

So, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll tell them about it when I take my car in for service, but I doubt they will do much. Probalby hook it up to a computer and go, "duhhhh.... I don't know", then take it for a *thrash-drive* and be unable to recreate the problem.

Hopefully it's nothing, but I know predetonation is really bad for an engine.

chakra71
11-16-2002, 06:12 PM
as for your number 2 (insert childish snicker here) i think i hear the same sound. dunno if you have ever heard an LED light blinking, but that's what i hear. it's pretty rhythmic, about 1 every second and almost sounds like it's coming from the back seats. happens at speed and idle, but it's too fine to notice at highway speeds.

another thing i've noticed that i would like some input on is when i'm hard accelerating with the ac on (sometimes i forget) the engine seems to pull inconsistantly. like perhaps one of the cylinders isn't burning as well as the others. but when i accelerate hard without the ac on i can't notice it. i'm not really worried by it, i figure it's just parasitic loss due to the compressor. anyone else noticed it?

natesi
11-16-2002, 07:09 PM
another thing i've noticed that i would like some input on is when i'm hard accelerating with the ac on (sometimes i forget) the engine seems to pull inconsistantly. like perhaps one of the cylinders isn't burning as well as the others. but when i accelerate hard without the ac on i can't notice it. i'm not really worried by it, i figure it's just parasitic loss due to the compressor. anyone else noticed it?

I think that's normal. I even notice it sometimes with the A/C off.