wishbear
05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
i was wondering if i can pass smog if i swap the k24a1 in? i live in so cal

wishbear
05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
anyone

bdooley
05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
yes why wouldnt you. If you have a race header and such possibly not. The crv's pass with it in there wouldnt you? lol

kprocivic
05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
smog yes the only thing to worry about is how smart whoever checking your engine is. truck motors in cars are illegal. other than that you should be good.

mAtAs2U
05-31-2008, 04:11 PM
nope it won't pass man The Refs have our engine code K20A3 when they smog it or when seeing a State Ref for a Fix-it-ticket like i did...:mredface:

RedSiBaron
05-31-2008, 04:33 PM
smog yes the only thing to worry about is how smart whoever checking your engine is. truck motors in cars are illegal. other than that you should be good.

hahaha theyd have to be a honda head and the k24 isnt a truck motor really...

Princess
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Mickey lives in Cali and he put a k20a engine in his car, he would be a good person to ask.

I think your new engine has to be from a newer car, not an older one.

Contact the California State Referee and ask them directly if you can put a different motor in your car other than the stock k20a3.

If an engine swap is going to be illegal anyways then you might as well keep the k20a3 and boost the hell out of it.

Princess
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
nope it won't pass man The Refs have our engine code K20A3 when they smog it or when seeing a State Ref for a Fix-it-ticket like i did...:mredface:

you have an engine swap and you got caught? did you have to take out the engine?

kprocivic
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
hahaha theyd have to be a honda head and the k24 isnt a truck motor really...

k24a1 is and they look at codes here. just depends on what ref you get, some dont even look cause our cars are newer.

okay mini suv which makes it even worse.

talonXracer
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
The CRV is classified as a passenger car, not a truck.

kprocivic
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM

well technically any vehicle that moves on wheels is a car.

pynikal
05-31-2008, 05:37 PM

i am a inspector in MO and we classify them as trucks here.

alldata says that CRV, Element, Pilot, Odyssey, and Ridgeline are all classified as "trucks"

RedSiBaron
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
the k24 is not a truck motor...they use it in cars as well...

i think the law is keeping people from putting engines that were designed as smog exempt or engines that were engineered under different regulations from being put in a vehicle...thats my guess...i dont know the laws exactly, of course not, but thats my best guess

i just dont think someone is going to go "YOU HAVE A K24 in your car, THATS A TRUCK ENGINE!!!"

it doesnt even look different enough that they are going to look twice, i mean seriously...

kprocivic
05-31-2008, 06:50 PM
the k24 is not a truck motor...they use it in cars as well...

i just dont think someone is going to go "YOU HAVE A K24 in your car, THATS A TRUCK ENGINE!!!"

it doesnt even look different enough that they are going to look twice, i mean seriously...

the k24a1 is in a small suv, thats what were talking about no one is talking about the k24a2 k24a4 and whatever other k24 passenger cars. no it doesnt look any different but if they do check the engine code which they dont to much in the newer cars it is illegal. done thats it.

RedSiBaron
05-31-2008, 07:02 PM
the k24a1 is in a small suv, thats what were talking about no one is talking about the k24a2 k24a4 and whatever other k24 passenger cars. no it doesnt look any different but if they do check the engine code which they dont to much in the newer cars it is illegal. done thats it.

yah that makes sense then...stupid california

wishbear
05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
what about having a k24 swap then swaping the a2 head in running stock header and cat

pynikal
05-31-2008, 07:38 PM
wow that i am not sure of. in theroy if you pass the ref and all that happy horse sh!t you should be fine. but im not for sure. cali is weird about that kind of stuff.

cali is slowly killing the aftermarket world!:mfrown::mcry:

Deadphishy
05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
wow that i am not sure of. in theroy if you pass the ref and all that happy horse sh!t you should be fine. but im not for sure. cali is weird about that kind of stuff.

cali is slowly killing the aftermarket world!:mfrown::mcry:

While we are slowing killing the earth........

pynikal
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
why do you think oil refinaries run at night???
they dont want you to see how much sh!t they put into the air. we are killing it but a very very small part of it.

back to topic.

mAtAs2U
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Check it out 2 months ago i had to see the California State Ref. for Ex. decibal test.

heres whats they do:

1. pop ur hood and see if everything i mean everything is legit if u have any mods like an intake it has to have a C.A.R.B sticker on it.

2. check the headers if its stock.

3. then they check the engine code if u have a swap they know whats sup they have ALLengine codes of cars in a computer trust me i was watching them look it up.

4. Then they take a long stick with a mirror at the end of it and place it beneath the car and they see if u have a Cat. converter.

5. If u get and Ex. fix-it-ticket like me they do the decibal test. which the Ex. has to be lower than 95 decibal or else u fail.

So dont waste ur time man with a swap living in Cali. with a modded car sucks. :mcry:

wishbear
05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
well isnt the same thing as just swapping if its new as long as you have a cat and stock header right?

mAtAs2U
05-31-2008, 09:11 PM
well isnt the same thing as just swapping if its new as long as you have a cat and stock header right?

bottom line man NO u will not Pass Smog or if u see a State Ref. with k24a1 u will fail the inspection test.

u have to have the Stock k20a3 in the Ep. :mmad:

wishbear
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
well beeep the ref im still going to go k24a2 with a greedy turbo

mAtAs2U
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
well beeep the ref im still going to go k24a2 with a greedy turbo

go for it hahahahha :mredface::mredface::mredface::mredface:

wishbear
06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
i have the a2 head an kpro i just need the k24 block with a crank im getting new pistons and rods anyways so i just needed the block and crank

02_epdriver
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
keep the A3 around and when it's smog testing time swap back in the a3 then go for the test and then back in goes the k24. It's a pain but you got to do what you got to do.

civsirmt
06-02-2008, 02:47 PM
i guess that one bad thing about living in cali......mabe the only thing

epcivicboy08
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
with the k24a1 you will not pass smog. unless of course as some people have already mentioned, you go to a station where they have no clue on newer honda engines or you do it under the table. yes, the CRV engine is considered a light truck engine and thats all due to Honda and maybe the goverment classifying it as such. In Cali, the law states that you cannot swap an engine from a light truck into a passenger car. I think if you wanna go big block, then you get a USDM k24 from a TSX or Accord, the ECU and swap it in bone stock. keep all sensors, stock air box, stock headers and make sure you're running a cat. if you have all that, as long as the ECU doesn't throw any codes, you should be set. then once you get that sticker that says you're engine is certified, mod the hell out of it!! :mwink:

6od5peed
06-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Sounds like it may be best to build the A3 bottom end and swap for the A2 head! Then they can't tell the difference as the engine still says A3...

Nossy
06-06-2008, 12:12 AM
You guys are throwing a standard smog check and a ref ticket into the same boat, which is silly since they are performing two different jobs.

A Smog tech assumes everything on the car is in working order and legal. If they notice an obvious modification (intake, exhaust, supercharger, etc.) they will verify that it has a CARB EO number that matches the part, but that's the extent of it. They don't want to spend hours matching engine codes and part numbers to a stock configuration, they want to test your car and move onto the next one.

A state ref assumes everything on the car is non-functional and illegal. It is their job to check every single part for compliance with a fine-toothed comb, so they are getting paid to check things like engine codes and part numbers.

When it comes down to it, don't run a loud exhaust (it's not needed), don't drive like an idiot, try to keep the visual modifications to a minimum (ie front mount), and don't be a dick if a cop pulls you over. If you follow these guidelines, the chances you will have to see a ref are pretty slim.

civicsibaby04
06-06-2008, 03:59 AM
its crazy like that in cali???? i thought new york was bad