PDA

View Full Version : Another gas thread, but I need answers

smoody
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Well anyways I was wondering how much miles do all of you get on half a tank. I've been riding around shifting under 3000 rpm most of the time, taking my time on the roads. so I've been driving slow and not accelerating to fast or anything. I put in half of tank of gas last week and I've been driving very little trying to calm it down on driving because of gas prices. after 98.8 miles on a half a tank, I now have 2 bars left until the red line. is this normal? I tried calculating and I think I should get more miles than 100 at least, or would you say 2 bars will go long ways until the empty light comes on.

Another story.
I've notice my empty light was on a month ago after driving and the next day I let the car warm up and the empty light went away and the gas needle just rose a couple bars up. how much gas do I really have?

alpinemtnbiker
05-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I just drove from Gilbert, AZ (Phoenix) to Alpine, AZ (about 230 miles) and averaged 31.87 MPG. Lots of hills & such...proba average 60 MPH. JUst me and my 60 pound english pointer. A/C was on about half the time, sunroof was open the other half.

Trimix
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
When I took it nice and slow with majority of freeway driving, I got 220mi on half a tank. But that was painfully slow. Some people say the gauges aren't too accurate.

smoody
05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry I was confused :confused: Did you drive 230 on half a tank? or full? if full how much bars did you have left?

alpinemtnbiker
05-31-2008, 08:49 PM
I would say a little more than half a tank. I filled it with 7.769 gallons of gas. Actually it was 237.6 miles I drove divided by 7.769 gallons of gas used = 31.87....Just looked at my gas reciept.

vbpracer
05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
The gauge is never acurate, the first have of the tank contains more than 6.5 Gallons.

smoody
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
hmmm. makes me want to cry just because I'v barely made it to 100 miles and my empty light is about to come on and all of you make 200 miles

vbpracer
05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
hmmm. makes me want to cry just because I'v barely made it to 100 miles and my empty light is about to come on and all of you make 200 miles

Meaning that if you filled up your tank all the way, than drove till have a tank you should get 200+ if driving conservatively. You cannot look at the gauge and then mulitply times 2 to get total estimate miliage.

Im sure you will get 300+

smoody
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow ephatch is the greatest. fast responses

smoody
05-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Meaning that if you filled up your tank all the way, than drove till have a tank you should get 200+ if driving conservatively. You cannot look at the gauge and then mulitply times 2 to get total estimate miliage.

Im sure you will get 300+

Thank you for making me feel better :mcool:

ep3allen
05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Can someone tell me how to change this. Its quite wierd for me I'm use to clicking the thread and see the first one made first rather than the last post first.

NitroBoarder
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
generally, you don't "seem" to get as good mileage on the second half of your tank. this is related to what another member stated, about the first half containing more then 6.5 gallons. so your second half contains less then half of your total capacity, so it's not really half a tank, it's less then that.

I know my old prelude I could squeeze 220 miles out of the first half of a tank, but barely be able to get 360 miles on a full tank.

smoody
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Can someone tell me how to change this. Its quite wierd for me I'm use to clicking the thread and see the first one made first rather than the last post first.

user cp > edit options > thread display mode > linear - oldest first

smoody
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for clearing my mine with better and more better information.

dann_04
05-31-2008, 11:13 PM
you can't calculate your mpg accurately by the half tank method. They changed the fuel sending unit halfway through theproduction on the ep,so on my 03 half a tank is 5 gallons, on an 05 it's 6. Plus the gauge is not very accurate. Only way to really check you mileage is by filling it all the way up, reset the trip odo, drive till low, and fill all the way up again at the same pump you used last time. then divide the miles drive(shown on the trip odo) by the gallons put in. No other method is accurate. Many people quote miles per tank, but when i fill my tank it can take anywhere from 8-11.5 gallons. if i said i got 300 miles to a tank that could really be 26-37.5 mpg. that's like a 30% error rate. Just do it the right way and then we can all compare apples to apples. sorry if i sound angry, but it's a pet peeve, i would really like to find out whatother people are getting for mpg to see how i compare and can improve, but everyone is doingit differently and saying they get like 40mpg but then they clarify saying they put in half a tank and then half again, but half on the gauge is like a 3 gallon window. ok im done

ryko
05-31-2008, 11:59 PM
with a heavy foot (and totally stock motor) i avg. 26/27mpg which i am please with. i drive 15miles both way to and from work 5 days a week. staying between 55-70mph.

my 2 cents

slurp812
06-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Well anyways I was wondering how much miles do all of you get on half a tank. I've been riding around shifting under 3000 rpm most of the time, taking my time on the roads. so I've been driving slow and not accelerating to fast or anything. I put in half of tank of gas last week and I've been driving very little trying to calm it down on driving because of gas prices. after 98.8 miles on a half a tank, I now have 2 bars left until the red line. is this normal? I tried calculating and I think I should get more miles than 100 at least, or would you say 2 bars will go long ways until the empty light comes on.

Another story.
I've notice my empty light was on a month ago after driving and the next day I let the car warm up and the empty light went away and the gas needle just rose a couple bars up. how much gas do I really have?

Dont worry too much about the gauge. It is a rough indication of you actual gas in the car. When you do fill up, note the gallons you put into it, and always run the pump till it stops, then you can calculate mileage. Oh yea and I drive like a grandma, and I've been getting fairly consistent 34 mpg AVERAGE per tank!

mikhsoj
06-04-2008, 04:00 AM
i remember getting about 26-30 mpg on my ep and one thing i really miss about EP hatch was the quick responses.

i have a EK hatch now and on other forums like honda-tech or honda-acura, responses are SLOW.... a little better on clubcivic... nothing like ephatch.

i missed u guys.

brownryce
06-04-2008, 08:06 AM
i just add a special mixture of water and alchohol to my tank when im running low. its like 75 octane. serious mileage. lol. :eyebrows:

NitroBoarder
06-04-2008, 08:35 AM
i just add a special mixture of water and alchohol to my tank when im running low. its like 75 octane. serious mileage. lol. :eyebrows:

so I take it the end result was your avatar?:lol:

Lenus
06-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Well i just did the test and I came up with 21 mpg :mcry:, mostly shifting under 3.5k rpm... I'm very disappointed with the car... maybe I'm running to rich with that e-manage piece of crap... can't wait to get K-pro...

brownryce
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
so I take it the end result was your avatar?:lol:

vtech is a power unknown not to be tampered with. like cold fusion.lol

:tinfoil3:

!@#$%
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
From top off to gas light, I've had anything from 300-360 miles depending on my habits.

brownryce
06-04-2008, 12:41 PM
From top off to gas light, I've had anything from 300-360 miles depending on my habits.

yea i had about 320 more or less. i suppose it depends on how consistent the drive pattern and habits are. :nerd:

RON
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
you can't calculate your mpg accurately by the half tank method. They changed the fuel sending unit halfway through theproduction on the ep,so on my 03 half a tank is 5 gallons, on an 05 it's 6. Plus the gauge is not very accurate. Only way to really check you mileage is by filling it all the way up, reset the trip odo, drive till low, and fill all the way up again at the same pump you used last time. then divide the miles drive(shown on the trip odo) by the gallons put in. No other method is accurate. Many people quote miles per tank, but when i fill my tank it can take anywhere from 8-11.5 gallons. if i said i got 300 miles to a tank that could really be 26-37.5 mpg. that's like a 30% error rate. Just do it the right way and then we can all compare apples to apples. sorry if i sound angry, but it's a pet peeve, i would really like to find out whatother people are getting for mpg to see how i compare and can improve, but everyone is doingit differently and saying they get like 40mpg but then they clarify saying they put in half a tank and then half again, but half on the gauge is like a 3 gallon window. ok im done

AGREE IT IS THE ONLY WAY!
I just had a road trip so I did it! On the interstate at an average of 80-85mph with AC on, (Omaha to Kansas City and back so pretty flat) my trip Od. said 319 miles I filled up 11.239 gallons. All on 91 octane; aveage of 28.38 mile to the gallon.

smoody
06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I just filled up all the way until the gas pump stopped. Testing....

brownryce
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
AGREE IT IS THE ONLY WAY!
I just had a road trip so I did it! On the interstate at an average of 80-85mph with AC on, (Omaha to Kansas City and back so pretty flat) my trip Od. said 319 miles I filled up 11.239 gallons. All on 91 octane; aveage of 28.38 mile to the gallon.

:usa2:

RON
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Well i am a huge dork and always calc. I filled up this morning 11.67 gallons (3.99 a gallon :mcry:) had 340 on the odometer. 29.13 a gallon... Half city half interstate.

powdbyrice
06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
3.99? sissy.

4.19 today.