PDA

View Full Version : Painting interior?

NitroBoarder
06-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I know there was a DIY before, but I can't seem to find it. I'm thinking it's just, sand the part you want to paint, primer, and paint? or should I use adhesion promoter? what grit sand paper? I'm a total noob at spray painting.

jtyler05si
06-04-2008, 06:22 AM
yeah,
bought all my stuff at auto body paint store
PREP:
i used some plastic cleaner stuff that comes in a can, pretty much just degreases it to get all my oils off.
i then wet sanded it with 1200 grit. dont need to sand all the paint off, just take off a bit everywhere to give it a good surface for the paint.
I washed it with soap and water (i used the dawn in white bottle)
plastic cleaner again(read directions on it, spray and rinse i believe)
Let it dry, i hung it for hours.
PAINT:
bought SEM adhesion promotor and SEM landau black spray paint.
Read directions and you should do fine.
if i remember correctly: spray light coat of adhesion promotor, wait 5 minutes, spray generous coat of promotor, wait 15 to 30 minutes, then i sprayed light coat of paint, waited for it to flash, put a good coat on, touched up.
that be it....
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/IMG_0282.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/IMG_0270.jpg

dashehonda
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
If youre doing smooth stuff, Like the center dash, use no less than 800 grit, you will be able to see the scratches after its painted no matter what color you use. If you are doing textured stuff, like the A,B,and C pillar pieces, dont sand them, just use some acetone to remove all the dirt, hit it with some ***adhesion promoter*** then paint.

If you are staying with flat colors, get a flat clear spray, just to be safe and protect it. Trust me you dont want to go cheap on any of this, since Interior pieces arent easy or cheap to find. Use the best products you can afford, and take your time, dont rush any of it, even if you have to drive your car without your dash or interior for a couple days, it will be worth it

dashehonda
06-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh, and do it far away as you can from your car, and keep the pieces as high up as you can as to keep away all the dirt and dust youll kick up while youre painting it. I use my Air gun after every coat to ensure that no Sh*t will fall on it and get covered by paint:mwink:

jtyler05si
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
^^^ flat clear coats are expensive as hell! hard to cheap out on quality, but if you want you can put normal clear coat on, then sand it down with fine grit to get the shine off but still leave protection...

and yeah i rode to work for a few days with the grand canyon for a dash. just stick with knob on it hanging out and i plugged the two unit things needed for a/c back in and zip-tied them to a brace so i could use the a/c.

oh dont forget to find your stereo code before starting.

dashehonda
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
^^^ flat clear coats are expensive as hell! hard to cheap out on quality, but if you want you can put normal clear coat on, then sand it down with fine grit to get the shine off but still leave protection...

and yeah i rode to work for a few days with the grand canyon for a dash. just stick with knob on it hanging out and i plugged the two unit things needed for a/c back in and zip-tied them to a brace so i could use the a/c.

oh dont forget to find your stereo code before starting.

I think you can get the one fronm Krylon, which isnt the best, but still just an extra layer of protection just in case

Yeah, dont ever unplug it without the code, or youll have the worst time proving the dealer it is in fact "your" radio

NitroBoarder
06-14-2008, 07:09 AM
well, I have an aftermarket headunit, no more stock one. so no worries about a code.

jtyler, did you spray a clear coat? I was thinking the clear may give it too much of a shine, which I don't want. But i'm sure the flat black will scratch easily without a clear coat.

and I've already rocked the no dash when I was replacing my headunit. the first time...I actually got halfway down my street before I realized I needed to hook up my hazard button for my blinkers to work:mconfused: