PDA

View Full Version : TEIN Basics / Rear Noisey....

mikebigh
06-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I searched already....

What are the dust covers that rub and make noise? I am getting a really bad noise out of the rear. It just started and the TEIN Basics have been in since Thursday night, and I really do not remember any dust cover going on. I did use the stock stuff I needed, front bushings fell completly apart.....and the front is quite as can be. I cannot see anything rubbing, LCA bolt is tight, upper perch nuts are tight......HELP!!!!!!!!!

I also installed Eibach sways, endlinks are good, and the bar isnt hitting the fuel line...yet.(i planned on going really low).

bigo711
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I searched already....

What are the dust covers that rub and make noise? I am getting a really bad noise out of the rear. It just started and the TEIN Basics have been in since Thursday night, and I really do not remember any dust cover going on. I did use the stock stuff I needed, front bushings fell completly apart.....and the front is quite as can be. I cannot see anything rubbing, LCA bolt is tight, upper perch nuts are tight......HELP!!!!!!!!!

I also installed Eibach sways, endlinks are good, and the bar isnt hitting the fuel line...yet.(i planned on going really low).

what kind of noise?

mikebigh
06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Its a plastic sounding click. And it is those covers....the spring is hitting them. I was confused cause when I searched, but I sorted it. Taking it back apart tonight. Thanks.

oldschoolimport
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
you must not be low enough. mine haven't made a sound in 2 years. :mbiggrin:

mikebigh
06-03-2008, 05:17 AM
you must not be low enough. mine haven't made a sound in 2 years. :mbiggrin:

Your right, I can just fit a fist under the front subframe. I can go down another 2 inches...lol. Seriously though, this sound is annoying. The click sound is coming from what seems to be inside that cover thing though......I can feel it if I grab the top of the coilover while compressing the rear of the car. I took the left side out and did not see any rubbing on the outside of the dust cover.....so I put the thing back in, and turned up the radio. Screw it.

oldschoolimport
06-03-2008, 05:52 AM
surely you can clearance something to keep it from clicking.

mikebigh
06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I got lazy. So I didn't take apart the coilover like I should have. Apparently you need to trim, and greas the hell out of the boot jammer. But thats what Saturdays are for I guess. How low is your setup old school? And how come yours makes no noise? I counted 5 threads on the coilovers before locking em down.

oldschoolimport
06-03-2008, 08:15 AM
with 205/50/16, the fender lip sits even with the top of the tire. with 205/55/16, its barely tucked. I just looked at a pic from september 06, and it looks like 9-10 threads, but I can't remember if this before I lowered it more, or not. I got mine used, and they were set equal when I put them on.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9024/img1821is5.jpg

mikebigh
06-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Your's are set a bit higher than mine. I am just about even also, tire wise. My tires are a bit smaller than stock size. And mine were new when installed, dont even have a week on em yet, so I am guessing they will settle a bit more. I guess I need to either raise my car about 2 or 3 threads, or remove the rear's, disassemble and trim that stupid cover. Thanks for the pic!!

oldschoolimport
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
no prob man. hopefully you can get the noise taken care of. random noises bother me, and I would have gone nuts by now. its like chinese water torture to me. :mmad:

sk8civic03
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
mine make the same noise, let me know if you get them to stop making noise.
thanks

goy091
06-06-2008, 11:42 PM
i had the same problems with my SS's, but its not really the coilovers fault. you need to cut off like half an inch or so of the dust cover. when those dust covers hit the threads of the coilovers it makes one hell of a noise. first time i heard it i thought i really broke something cuz it was so damn loud.

easiest way to measure how much you need to cut is by taking the strut out and seeing where the top of the damper (where the piston rod goes into the damper body) is compared to the plastic dust cover, depending on how many threads you have the car lowered by. if you cut the dust cover about even with the top of the damper you should be good.

sk8civic03
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
i had the same problems with my SS's, but its not really the coilovers fault. you need to cut off like half an inch or so of the dust cover. when those dust covers hit the threads of the coilovers it makes one hell of a noise. first time i heard it i thought i really broke something cuz it was so damn loud.

easiest way to measure how much you need to cut is by taking the strut out and seeing where the top of the damper (where the piston rod goes into the damper body) is compared to the plastic dust cover, depending on how many threads you have the car lowered by. if you cut the dust cover about even with the top of the damper you should be good.
I did this and it didnt work. I still have the same noise, can anyone think of why they could be doing this?

sk8civic03
08-02-2008, 10:58 AM
anyone??

03Si757
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Spray the shaft with lithium grease. I had this issue when I had basics on my CL. I just lubed it up once a few times here and there. And the problem went away after a few thousand miles.

This is if your having the noise I had, Mine was like a creeking noise.

sk8civic03
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Spray the shaft with lithium grease. I had this issue when I had basics on my CL. I just lubed it up once a few times here and there. And the problem went away after a few thousand miles.

This is if your having the noise I had, Mine was like a creeking noise.

not a creeking noise, if I am driving on a smooth road its fine no sound when I take corners no sound. If the road is bumpy then it sound like something is clunking in the rear like a plastic to plastic sound. Nothing is loose, sway bar is not rubbing on the catback.

sk8civic03
08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
anyone know what I should do?