PDA

View Full Version : Will RSX type-S rotors and calipers fit in an EP?

dung
06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
pretty much what the thread title said, I need to replace my rotors and I can get a set from a Type-S so I was wonder if it can fit just fine.

kaisertj
06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
pretty much what the thread title said, I need to replace my rotors and I can get a set from a Type-S so I was wonder if it can fit just fine.

They are a different size, they wont work unless you swap out the calipers too and are a 5 lug.

talonXracer
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Since you have a 5lug, all you need is the rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. And that is just the front, the rears are identicle between the two chassis.

civictype_r04
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I am thinking about doing this to very soon.

Zzyzx
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
and caliper brackets

"Caliper brackets" in this case may actually mean Buying RSX-S Knuckles, as the bracket is actually a cast part of said knuckles.

TheAmericanStig
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Wait I thought the consensus was that if you did the rsxs front calipers you had to do the booster too? Something about not being able to push the right amount of fluid or something... IDK

BTW, are type s calipers 2 piston?

sLiCk
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Wait I thought the consensus was that if you did the rsxs front calipers you had to do the booster too? Something about not being able to push the right amount of fluid or something... IDK

BTW, are type s calipers 2 piston?

type s calipers are still single piston.

talonXracer
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
"Caliper brackets" in this case may actually mean Buying RSX-S Knuckles, as the bracket is actually a cast part of said knuckles.

The bracket is actually a part of the caliper, also called the mounting frame. http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FRONT+BRAKE+(TYPE-S)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

pynikal
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
how much bigger are they??
is it worth the time and money?
or should i just spend more on good braking components. to make the stock pieces better?

talonXracer
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Most people with DD's will not make use of the larger typeS brakes. Some real good pads, ATE super blue fluid and decent tires will help greatly. But if you are autoXing or canyon carving they help out alot by delaying the onset of brake fade by dissapating heat quicker.

pynikal
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Most people with DD's will not make use of the larger typeS brakes. Some real good pads, ATE super blue fluid and decent tires will help greatly. But if you are autoXing or canyon carving they help out alot by delaying the onset of brake fade by dissapating heat quicker.

no canyons in kansas. lol :) we do have clover leafs!

Ba82Ep3
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
no canyons in kansas. lol :) we do have clover leafs!

:lol:

Kloverleaf Killas... UNITE!

SO... all thats needed are the caliper bracket, calipers, rotors, and pads... and this bolts onto the OEM 04-05 5 lug hub assembly?? Thats not too bad... i thought the hubs were needed also. Im guessing a Type-S Stoptech brake upgrade would work then as well... purchasing the Type-S caliper bracket and caliper separately. DO-able.

kaisertj
06-03-2008, 10:16 AM
:lol:

Kloverleaf Killas... UNITE!

SO... all thats needed are the caliper bracket, calipers, rotors, and pads... and this bolts onto the OEM 04-05 5 lug hub assembly?? Thats not too bad... i thought the hubs were needed also. Im guessing a Type-S Stoptech brake upgrade would work then as well... purchasing the Type-S caliper bracket and caliper separately. DO-able.

I used the stoptech basic type-S brake upgrade as well. Used their rotors and steel braided lines, Hawk HPS pads and stock calipers with good fluid. Running on toyo T1r's. I wouldnt worry about swapping the booster, I could tell NO dfference between the ep3 one and the swapped type-s one. Not needed imo. So, if your 5 lug, all you need is:

Type S calipers
Type S rotors

Everything else can be used from the ep3. Here's a pic of the stoptech upgrade:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/kaisertj/EP3part1036.jpg

dung
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
so to verify, if I want to do a Type-S brakes conversion on my car, I need the rotors, calipers and calipers brackets right?

trickkykidd.02
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Well since everyone else is being nice....

USE THE SEARCH !!!!!

This has been covered time and time again...

It is a 1.5" upgrade in rotor
you dont HAVE to use master cyln. but it is not a big deal when you are already doing a full fluid swap. It affects brake modulation and feel not effectiveness. You can probably trade in current ones as cores when you get new ones from kragen or whereever.

Ba82Ep3
06-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I used the stoptech basic type-S brake upgrade as well. Used their rotors and steel braided lines, Hawk HPS pads and stock calipers with good fluid. Running on toyo T1r's. I wouldnt worry about swapping the booster, I could tell NO dfference between the ep3 one and the swapped type-s one. Not needed imo. So, if your 5 lug, all you need is:

Type S calipers
Type S rotors

Everything else can be used from the ep3. Here's a pic of the stoptech upgrade:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/kaisertj/EP3part1036.jpg

MAN! That shit looks guuud! Now i can get upgraded stoppage with Stoptech quality. Thanx for the pix and the info... now i KNOW the route i wanna go.

Can ya tell me where you got your Stoptech kit? The webbie is ass for info. Id like a reputable online company with reasonable prices if possible.

:thumb:

kaisertj
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
MAN! That shit looks guuud! Now i can get upgraded stoppage with Stoptech quality. Thanx for the pix and the info... now i KNOW the route i wanna go.

Can ya tell me where you got your Stoptech kit? The webbie is ass for info. Id like a reputable online company with reasonable prices if possible.

:thumb:

I actually bought it gently used from an RSX-S when he switched to some stoptechs, calipers and all came with the deal. Im not sure where he bought it, but its the stage one stoptech upgrade for an RSX-S. Came with steel braided lines, rotors, pads, and fluid I believe. Any reputable online vendor should have it.

Ba82Ep3
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks again! I just spent two hours searching every american continental link on the Stoptech webbie, and the only one that was worth a flying fawk was King Motorsports. They however only offer the OEM replacement rotors... not the stage "x" kits. The rotor prices are very reasonable, considering its King. Looks like i will just get the RSX-S Stoptech drilled rotors, the RSX-S OEM caliper set for both sides, some Axxis pads... and call it a day. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Any year specifics for the RSX-S caliper sets? I was looking at 04 year parts...

sLiCk
06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks again! I just spent two hours searching every american continental link on the Stoptech webbie, and the only one that was worth a flying fawk was King Motorsports. They however only offer the OEM replacement rotors... not the stage "x" kits. The rotor prices are very reasonable, considering its King. Looks like i will just get the RSX-S Stoptech drilled rotors, the RSX-S OEM caliper set for both sides, some Axxis pads... and call it a day. Any other suggestions?

The rotors that come in the stoptech stage1&2 kits are only oem replacement rotors but slotted. They are not the aerorotors you see in their big brake kits.

b.r.i.a.n.
06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
like its already been stated for the 04-05 models you can get away with just upgrading to the larger rsx-s rotors and the rsx-s calipers. i got the rsx-s brake booster as well.

the only downside to not upgrading to the rsx-s knuckles is that you wouldn't be able to run the slightly beefier rsx-s 36mm axles. i have an 03 so i had to change the knuckles regardless to switch to 5 lug. one thing to remember is that the knuckles have to be off an 02-04 rsx-s. the 05-06 rsx-s uses itr lower control arms. therefore if you were to use 05-06 rsx-s knuckles you would also need to purchase a used set of 05-06 rsx-s lower control arms or itr lower control arms. the itr also uses aluminum lower control arms.

sLiCk
06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
like its already been stated for the 04-05 models you can get away with just upgrading to the larger rsx-s rotors and the rsx-s calipers. i got the rsx-s brake booster as well.

the only downside to not upgrading to the rsx-s knuckles is that you wouldn't be able to run the slightly beefier rsx-s 36mm axles. i have an 03 so i had to change the knuckles regardless to switch to 5 lug. one thing to remember is that the knuckles have to be off an 02-04 rsx-s. the 05-06 rsx-s uses itr lower control arms. therefore if you were to use 05-06 rsx-s knuckles you would also need to purchase a used set of 05-06 rsx-s lower control arms or itr lower control arms. the itr also uses aluminum lower control arms.

The 05-06 rsx-s has itr lower control arms? Hmm that's interesting. I've been looking at getting itr arms for quite a while now for the added negative camber and unsprung weight savings.

zzfinaldropzz
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
hey dung, i just got a set of 4 drill & slotted rotors and pads @ 88 rotors for $200 New.. It feels pretty good......

Ba82Ep3
06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
The rotors that come in the stoptech stage1&2 kits are only oem replacement rotors but slotted. They are not the aerorotors you see in their big brake kits.

You can get the rotors either drilled or slotted and drilled/slotted. I knew they werent the two piece designs.

the only downside to not upgrading to the rsx-s knuckles is that you wouldn't be able to run the slightly beefier rsx-s 36mm axles.

My final question was, does it matter which year RSX-S new calipers/rotors should come from... i assumed either 02-04. Your statement about the 05-06 differences would lead me to think i shouldnt order those year model parts? The axle size is irrelevant to me if i am just swapping the caliper and rotor onto my existing hub.

Im just trying to get this straight... im ordering parts in the next week and wanna be sure i get the right shit. :msmile:

ep3moschini
08-05-2008, 06:36 AM
My final question was, does it matter which year RSX-S new calipers/rotors should come from... i assumed either 02-04. Your statement about the 05-06 differences would lead me to think i shouldnt order those year model parts? The axle size is irrelevant to me if i am just swapping the caliper and rotor onto my existing hub.

Im just trying to get this straight... im ordering parts in the next week and wanna be sure i get the right shit. :msmile:

they are all the same, 02-06 RSX-S, all S2000 years, and the new Si all use the same brake rotors and pads

Ba82Ep3
08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Damn, so i basically have s2k brakes on my EP now eh? Werd.

I didnt change the booster or anything else... just the hard parts. I will do stainless lines in a few months... i wanna get a feel for the setup before and after the stainless lines are installed. Tomorrow the RSX rear pads/rotors will be installed and the entire system will be bled with some DOT 3, although i have some synthetic DOT 3 that says its as good as DOT4 w/o being silicone based. Once thats done, i will see how the setup modulates and decide if i need the booster. There is a NASA autoX event coming up the 31st im trying to prep for. We will see...

mmfusco
08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
so does anyone know if a brembo brake kit from a rsx type s will work on a ep3