PDA

View Full Version : Car backfired today

player757
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I was driving at low rpm maybe like 3k and it back fired. its done it before in the past but like this im becoming very concerned that some thing is really wrong. im starting to consider my options too. engine tranny swap could be in my future some one help me out.

talonXracer
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
What are your mods??????????????????

player757
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I/E No other engine mods, when i first bought the car i was really hard on it reved it way to hard its been bounced off the limiter many of times. since then ive calmed down quite a bit on the way i drive it. i shift at 3.5k most of the time now. my major concern is that i let a friend of mine drive it not to long ago and he shifted from 4th to 1st and it really redlined. i hope he didnt brake any thing on it.

player757
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
ok so after hastily creating this thread i searched harder and found that many other people apparently have this issue sorry for posting a mute point. i have another possible related issue i hear a clicking noise after i pull away from a stop some time multiple clicking noises also my abs light was on the other day for about 10min not sure whats up with the car right now.

talonXracer
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Have you done a valve clearance check lately?

!@#$%
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
It was probably your intake. There's a specific reason for backfire through the intake due to VTC in some way, but I don't feel like looking for it. It has happened on SEVERAL other k20a3's with intake by sometimes stabbing the throttle at low rpm.

itchy5
06-02-2008, 07:09 PM
if you stomp the throttle right after letting off the throttle its possible to have backfire. i hear its not good for you engine but who know.

T_Virus
06-03-2008, 07:42 AM
It has happen to me twice this week...It feels like a loud tire pop...

lil_Eggy
06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
It has happen to me twice this week...It feels like a loud tire pop...

...happens to me all the time with my intake

02nhbpep3
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
I havent had a backfire before but I do have a gargleing sound between shifts.

03Si757
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I havent had a backfire before but I do have a gargleing sound between shifts.

Same here, im sure its from not having a cat for me.

T_Virus
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Mine happens in the morning though with the cai...

player757
06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
i love the gargling sound i try to make it happen. any ideas on the clicking nose

also whats a valve clearance check

02nhbpep3
06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah I love the sound too, mine might be from my cat being bad

jenuyin
06-04-2008, 03:15 PM
It was probably your intake. There's a specific reason for backfire through the intake due to VTC in some way, but I don't feel like looking for it. It has happened on SEVERAL other k20a3's with intake by sometimes stabbing the throttle at low rpm.

I learn something new everyday:ear:

antagonist997
06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
i love the gargling sound i try to make it happen. any ideas on the clicking nose

also whats a valve clearance check

You know i have the same clicking nose.. I really noticed it when it was very cold out.. pulling away from a stop sign and i hear a click...click click.. now that its warm out nothing..

v1c10us
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
i get the clicking noise too, its easiest to distinguish if you go up next to a wall such as when your in the drivethrough at mc donalds, and you play in and out with the gas and clutch.
right after you let off the clutch if you do it kind of abruptly it will make a chikukukukukuh noise..
Its something to do with it getting sped up and then abruptly released or something, but it comes from the tranny.

Phildonis
06-05-2008, 12:08 PM
i had the clicking sound.
i just put the stock intake back, the stock exhaust manifold, intake manifold, cat, midpipe and axleback, and i don't hear the ticking anymore.

It's just the loud injectors and valves tapping. i wouldn't be worried about it.
i thought it needed a valve adjustment. did one, and the sound was still as strong and as present (well not anymore since i removed all these metal pipes, like the intake header and exhaust). it is just resonnance from the injectors and valves.
Ks are loud.

if the tik comes from the tranny, that's a different ballgame alltogether