PDA

View Full Version : ghetto race kit comments

NrGiNnY14
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
hey guys, well i've been running the street kit since january and i'm thinking of upping the power. i have the race kit sitting in my garage, but it seems that it might take me a while to get k-pro.

so i've been thinking about doing the ghetto race kit for now, and get k-pro sometime down the road. just a few questions.

has anybody had major issues running this ghetto race kit?
all i need to get is 310cc injectors? i have the 4" pulley in my garage
how much will i gain running the race kit? i put down 182whp and 165ft-lbs on my current setup

any other comments please post. thanks in advance

playap07
06-02-2008, 11:58 PM
why you got to be ghetto 4?? save up your cash and get that pro! but hey i feel you though ma dude!:mbiggrin: i dont know much about superchargers. good luck though

v1c10us
06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
is there any difference at all between putting the pulley on and swapping injectors vs buying the actual race kit?

roboticfailure
06-03-2008, 01:54 AM
the race kit does not come with 310's it comes with 440's.

oogy-boogy
06-03-2008, 04:22 AM
IIRC Musty (mustclime) has been running the 4" pulley with the powercard and no other fuel upgrades for at least a year.

:peep:

thisisagame24
06-03-2008, 07:55 AM
i wouldnt do it mang....esp with all the problems you have been having with your power card and running lean CELs

def do it the right way mang and save your motor

4angrybadgers
06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Would you rather cheap out on the upgrade and risk your whole engine, or spend the extra money to do the upgrade correctly and ensure your engine's safety? The choice is yours. I would save up and do the race upgrade correctly.

Nossy
06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Trust me...experience says save the money and do it right the first time, or else it will end up costing you more in the long run.

Jman900
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
just save for k-pro. wait it out

kaisertj
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I also say wait it out. Without K-pro, it will run ok and stuff.... But you will be seriously missing its full potential, a good tune is everything.

EP3Casas
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
spend a lot now spend a lot less later

RickyBobby
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, there are a couple of problems in trying what you are asking.

1st If you install 310's you will probably max them out when you hit full boost. Max them out and you will being doing a swap sooner than you every thought.

2nd If you go with 440's I do not believe (but I am not the powercard expert) you can alter the injector size with the powercard, so under non boost conditions you will be running way way rich. I am sure you can tune the powercard for boost conditions.

If, and I mean IF you really want to do this ghetto style you will proably need at least (am I know I will get a lot of flack for saying this) an emanage (with the support tool) and 440's.

SLOW EP3
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
If, and I mean IF you really want to do this ghetto style you will proably need at least (am I know I will get a lot of flack for saying this) an emanage (with the support tool) and 440's.

This is exactly what I was going to recommend. You'll need the larger injectors and way to control them, i.e. EMANAGE!! It works fine, ignore the haters, this will save you a few $$ bucks and let you upgrade to the race kit. But you'll need to TUNE the e-manage so learn to do it yourself and do it on the street, or pay a tuner.

mustclime
06-04-2008, 01:24 PM
works for me.....get one stage cooler than stock plugs though.........as for maxing out the injectors, well, there are a lot of guys out there with race kits putting out around 210 whp.....thats fine for 310 injectors...I do not recomend rh with this set up though.

NrGiNnY14
06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
This is exactly what I was going to recommend. You'll need the larger injectors and way to control them, i.e. EMANAGE!! It works fine, ignore the haters, this will save you a few $$ bucks and let you upgrade to the race kit. But you'll need to TUNE the e-manage so learn to do it yourself and do it on the street, or pay a tuner.

works for me.....get one stage cooler than stock plugs though.........as for maxing out the injectors, well, there are a lot of guys out there with race kits putting out around 210 whp.....thats fine for 310 injectors...I do not recomend rh with this set up though.

well right now i have 1 step colder plugs already on. but the 440cc will not work with the powercard right? i do have the 440cc injectors, 4" pulley and map relocater in my garage. basically what i am asking is will it be safe enough where i can run the 4" pulley on the powercard and should i use 310cc or 440cc injectors with this setup?

also on a side note, my other engine mods consist of aem cai/ dc shorty/ megan tp/ greddy evo2. musty i know you said that you wouldn't reccomend a rh with this setup, and i'm assuming that includes my setup of shorty header and testpipe

vbpracer
06-05-2008, 07:13 AM
well right now i have 1 step colder plugs already on. but the 440cc will not work with the powercard right? i do have the 440cc injectors, 4" pulley and map relocater in my garage. basically what i am asking is will it be safe enough where i can run the 4" pulley on the powercard and should i use 310cc or 440cc injectors with this setup?

I'd like to know this answer as well, im sure it isnt possible without tuning the powercard, but would also like to know what the options are.

Civicvtec1ps
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Makes no sense to run race kit setup without proper engine management.
Even with JR base map, i would still get tuned asap.

Save money seriously, then jump on race setup, you will thank me later.

mustclime
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Makes no sense to run race kit setup without proper engine management.
Even with JR base map, i would still get tuned asap.

Save money seriously, then jump on race setup, you will thank me later.

Ok,if I am running a ghetto race kit safely for almost a year and lets say I am makeing like ( I will guess low to keep you from looking like a total moron) 190 whp with a cat. Running a k-pro with the stock cat on a race kit is going to top out at about 210whp with a tune.....the problem is k-pro is like 900 bucks and tuneing is going to run 400-600 bucks( in nj anyway).....so for 20 whp, I would be paying a minimum 1300 bucks...thats 65 bucks a hp......thats a rip imo

Oh, fyi....in the notheast you should really have 2 tunes, one for summer gas and one for winter gas. The stock ecu does this for you but k-pro needs a new tune......thats mo money.:mwink:

oogy-boogy
06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I used to argue with you musty but your plugs and time without issues are showing us it's possible with the powercard. I can't throw stones as Phil (fsu) ran his charger in the same fashion for some time without even knowing (JR shipped it with the 4" pulley).

I can't remember but have you ever had your AF checked on a dyno at WOT?

mustclime
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM

also on a side note, my other engine mods consist of aem cai/ dc shorty/ megan tp/ greddy evo2. musty i know you said that you wouldn't reccomend a rh with this setup, and i'm assuming that includes my setup of shorty header and testpipe

Ok my total setup is
4inch pulley,310cc injectors, rsx cai,dc shorty header,one step cooler denso plugs, sk2 cat back and the stock cat.....car has 10,000 miles on this setup with no issues.

If you are running a Test Pipe with the stock ecu , you will trip the cel for the secondary o2 sensor. The ecu will richen the mixture to try to make the car meet emisions, so you will run st00pid rich. I know this because I tried A high flow cat and my milage dropped when the cell was poped by about 5-8 mpg .....I am back to the stock cat.:mcool:

mustclime
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I used to argue with you musty but your plugs and time without issues are showing us it's possible with the powercard. I can't throw stones as Phil (fsu) ran his charger in the same fashion for some time without even knowing (JR shipped it with the 4" pulley).

I can't remember but have you ever had your AF checked on a dyno at WOT?

No, I keep tring to make a dyno day and they always seem to be on autoX days( I have done 6 this year so far)....I might look into buying one of those sensors that read out of the port at some point but right now I am trying to get a quaife in my trans.....Look, you know how the blower works, there is no boost unless you are on 3/4 to full throtel, the power card just reads boost and dumps fuel, as long as you have injectors that can dump enough gas at those times, you should be fine.

If the truth be known, I would love the motor to blow. Then I could pickup a k24a1 to run on my stock ecu( just to piss off all those k-poor people out there).....:peep:

Kodeen
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
How do you think the JRSC-G would react if you put the Hondata reflash in there?

oogy-boogy
06-05-2008, 11:40 AM
G??

Kodeen
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
G??

Ghetto

mustclime
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
How do you think the JRSC-G would react if you put the Hondata reflash in there?

Your stock ecu is a learing computer, it reacts to changes picked up by the sensors and adjusts timeing,mixture,ect so you meet emition standards and you motor stays "safe". Hondadata removes all the "smart" from your ecu and just downloads what they want to happen in to the ecu.....reflashed ecu's will not work with a power card....sorry

blackhatchsi
06-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Your stock ecu is a learing computer, it reacts to changes picked up by the sensors and adjusts timeing,mixture,ect so you meet emition standards and you motor stays "safe". Hondadata removes all the "smart" from your ecu and just downloads what they want to happen in to the ecu.....reflashed ecu's will not work with a power card....sorry

It still learns with Hondata right? I mean, if it didn't, would you have to have a different tune everytime the weather changed?

Kodeen
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Wow, I knew about the 'smart' aspects of the ECU but did not know that the reflash removed that. Thanks.

mustclime
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow, I knew about the 'smart' aspects of the ECU but did not know that the reflash removed that. Thanks.

correct, a reflash "dumbs" up you ecu.....power card will not work with a reflash.

NrGiNnY14
06-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok my total setup is
4inch pulley,310cc injectors, rsx cai,dc shorty header,one step cooler denso plugs, sk2 cat back and the stock cat.....car has 10,000 miles on this setup with no issues.

If you are running a Test Pipe with the stock ecu , you will trip the cel for the secondary o2 sensor. The ecu will richen the mixture to try to make the car meet emisions, so you will run st00pid rich. I know this because I tried A high flow cat and my milage dropped when the cell was poped by about 5-8 mpg .....I am back to the stock cat.:mcool:

ok so i think my setup very soon is going to be 4" & 310cc injectors with cai/h/tp/e

i have a 02 sim for my secondary and i haven't thrown a code since i installed it which was over a year now.

where is the cheapest place to find 310cc injectors? i know from acura its going to cost an arm and a leg

Kodeen
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey Musty, what kind of MPG numbers are you seeing with that setup?

4angrybadgers
06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
It still learns with Hondata right? I mean, if it didn't, would you have to have a different tune everytime the weather changed?

There is an IAT compensation table somewhere in the bowels of Kpro. That's used to adjust fuel a bit for different temperatures, but the stored cam, timing, and fuel maps are not changed. The STFT/LTFT (short term / long term fuel trim) can also compensate somewhat to keep your A/F at stoich, but again, the maps themselves are not changed and timing cannot be adjusted on-the-fly at all.

mustclime
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey Musty, what kind of MPG numbers are you seeing with that setup?

autoX weeks = 22mpg
regular weeks = 26mpg
driving like a adult and staying out of boost = 31
highway onlyonlong trips = 33mpg

I find the best place to find 310cc injectors is clubrsx since thats one of the places they come from....310s also come on tsx's so you could look on their fourms....

NrGiNnY14
06-05-2008, 05:18 PM
autoX weeks = 22mpg
regular weeks = 26mpg
driving like a adult and staying out of boost = 31
highway onlyonlong trips = 33mpg

I find the best place to find 310cc injectors is clubrsx since thats one of the places they come from....310s also come on tsx's so you could look on their fourms....

are the 310cc on both the old and new rsx-s?

mustclime
06-05-2008, 05:31 PM
are the 310cc on both the old and new rsx-s?

I think so............

NrGiNnY14
06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I think so............

ight sweet im picking up 4 tomorrow for $40 :mtongue:

ghetto race kit will be on sunday

also stupid question, but does the map relocater need to be installed on the ghetto race kit? i'm asking because i dont understand what that part is for

4angrybadgers
06-06-2008, 04:51 AM

also stupid question, but does the map relocater need to be installed on the ghetto race kit? i'm asking because i dont understand what that part is for

The MAP sensor in its stock location on the TB can't see the actual boost created by the SC. With the Powercard that's fine (the stock ECU doesn't have cam/fuel/timing maps for boost), but if you're using the reflash or Kpro you want the ECU to see the boost pressure and index the extended maps accordingly.

Kodeen
06-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Would it be fine to relocate the MAP sensor anyway if you were to do the ghetto setup? Just to save a step later down the road if you decide to upgrade to Kpro.

vbpracer
06-06-2008, 07:30 AM

I'd be carefull doing this man, you may be be maxing out the injectors before you reach max boost. I have a similar set up but with a jr race header, let me know how it handles, i may do this as well.

mustclime
06-06-2008, 09:31 AM

no.....

for the record, I recomend you run the stock cat.....

4angrybadgers
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Would it be fine to relocate the MAP sensor anyway if you were to do the ghetto setup? Just to save a step later down the road if you decide to upgrade to Kpro.

No, because it would freak out the stock ECU. The Powercard handles the extra fuel when in boost.

NrGiNnY14
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
no.....

for the record, I recomend you run the stock cat.....

running a tp with this setup makes the car run more rich correct? wouldn't it be better to run a little more rich rather then run a little lean?

mustclime
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
running a tp with this setup makes the car run more rich correct? wouldn't it be better to run a little more rich rather then run a little lean?

No, the thing I am worried about is the ecu gets all the info it needs to keep the motor safe.....if there o2 sensors are reading ok on ether side of the cat, there is no way for you to run lean with out popping a cel. The minute you go lean, the co will go up and the cel will pop....the sim gets in the way of this imo. Do whatever you want, the above is main for running a cat, well that and I kinda like the planet.:mangel:

4angrybadgers
06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
No, the thing I am worried about is the ecu gets all the info it needs to keep the motor safe.....if there o2 sensors are reading ok on ether side of the cat, there is no way for you to run lean with out popping a cel. The minute you go lean, the co will go up and the cel will pop....the sim gets in the way of this imo. Do whatever you want, the above is main for running a cat, well that and I kinda like the planet.:mangel:

The sim goes on the secondary, which isn't used for A/F monitoring at all, just for verifying that the cat is working properly. Only the primary is used to measure the A/F ratio - you can completely remove the secondary and your car will run the exact same as before (other than a P0420 and a CEL).

NrGiNnY14
06-06-2008, 08:58 PM
The sim goes on the secondary, which isn't used for A/F monitoring at all, just for verifying that the cat is working properly. Only the primary is used to measure the A/F ratio - you can completely remove the secondary and your car will run the exact same as before (other than a P0420 and a CEL).

so basically i should be fine with the tp. alright well its going on sunday i will let you guys know how it works out. i'm praying nothing goes bad since i'm still in debt for having to get my head rebuilt

NrGiNnY14
06-08-2008, 05:57 AM
hey musty, everybody is talking about maxing out my injectors. just wondering how high you rev, because if you take it to redline which i assume you do when you race and have no problems, i shouldn't be worried

mustclime
06-08-2008, 04:09 PM
hey musty, everybody is talking about maxing out my injectors. just wondering how high you rev, because if you take it to redline which i assume you do when you race and have no problems, i shouldn't be worried

Well what is the max whp for a type-s with 310cc injectors?.....like 210.....with a stock cat in, that is about the max of what you will see with a jrsc-r on a k20a3.....thats another reason I am running the stock cat. It is there to restrict the motor so the 310's will work...........you want to run your test pipe, do not blame me if you go lean.

NrGiNnY14
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Well what is the max whp for a type-s with 310cc injectors?.....like 210.....with a stock cat in, that is about the max of what you will see with a jrsc-r on a k20a3.....thats another reason I am running the stock cat. It is there to restrict the motor so the 310's will work...........you want to run your test pipe, do not blame me if you go lean.

i'm not gonna blame anybody but myself :mwink:

well i just finished the install, the idle is fine and feels good, ill keep posted if i get a cel or if it starts to run bad

mustclime
06-08-2008, 04:16 PM
i'm not gonna blame anybody but myself :mwink:

well i just finished the install, the idle is fine and feels good, ill keep posted if i get a cel or if it starts to run bad

make sure you clear in the ecu.....pull the ecu fuse from the fuse box under the hood....You should do this every time you do a mod.

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 04:29 AM
great...

so after about 20 miles on the ghetto kit, i go up to my friends house to hang out. don't really kill it but i do a 3rd gear pull on the highway. its pulling nice and after that babying it.

fyi since the install, i think the bearing is bad on the supercharger pulley because its making alot of noise.

so im at my friends house for about an hour, and i go to leave. i start the car up and i hear a weird noise coming from the engine bay as i started her up.

so i kind of ignore it, it was probably the pulley making the noise so i head home and i decide to pull into the parking lot near my house just to double check everything under the hood.

so i pop the hood, the belt is 1/2 way off!!! and there is a ticking noise coming from near the fuel rail. great...

so anyways i drive to my other friends house (the kid that helped me install the supercharger in the 1st place) and we fix the belt and the tension. the pulley is still making noise but still there is this ticking near the fuel rail. i have no idea whether its just the sound from the pulley echoing thru my engine bay or it is something in my engine bay. all i know is when i rev the car at the tb, the engine shakes fairly hard (then again it could just be in my head) and the noise speeds up and gets louder as the revs get higher. also when i'm driving i can't hear it besides at idle

car drives completely fine and so far no cel. i hope the engine is fine, it has a brand new head on it and i definitely cannot afford another swap. any ideas guys :mcry::mcry::mcry::mcry::mcry::mcry:

Stubby
06-09-2008, 05:04 AM
injector pulse.

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
The injectors can be loud.

If the bearing is going on the charger remove it ASAP and have it repaired at Moss (Mag). Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble (trust me).

mustclime
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I have to ask......how did you change the pulley?

Jman900
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
the noise could just be the injectors firing, but get that bearing checked out asap

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 06:00 PM
are the 310cc injectors alot louder then the stock injectors?

on my way home from work when i revved in neutral while in motion it was barely making the noise if it wasn't in boost, and it was alot louder when i was in gear and was at the same rpm. i have a feeling that the noise is mostly the pulley.

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 06:01 PM
How is the pulley introducing noise?

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I have to ask......how did you change the pulley?

i used a low profile clamp to hold the big nut on the pulley and used a breaker bar to loosen the nut. and i torqued the new 1 to 45 ft-lbs. then again this kit was used for 38,000 miles before i bought it, so maybe it is time for a new pulley

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
How is the pulley introducing noise?

well correct me if i am wrong, but revving in neutral doesn't spin the pulley as fast as when i'm in gear putting strain on it. it sounds like a rumbling noise and it progresses as the revs get higher in gear

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
The whine is the charger. You shouldn't have any rubbing noises. It's just another parasitic pulley.

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
The whine is the charger. You shouldn't have any rubbing noises. It's just another parasitic pulley.

no this isn't the whine that i hear :mbiggrin: even though i definitely hear that to when i accelerate. but it seems to be the loudest at idle and low rpm and its not a rubbing noise, but a rumbling noise, its very hard to explain. maybe tomorrow morning i will get a video to give you guys an idea (my parents are home now and cannot know about this because they will kill me, and i mean that literally)

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
How's your belt tension (checking from the charger pulley down to the crank)?

NrGiNnY14
06-09-2008, 06:31 PM
How's your belt tension (checking from the charger pulley down to the crank)?

well at first it was too loose, causing the belt to come off slightly, then it was ok but belt still came off. now its really tight, the tensioner assembly bolt is sticking out a little less then an inch from the assembly if that helps

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 05:35 AM
should i grease the pulleys? if so what kind of grease should i use?

oogy-boogy
06-10-2008, 05:45 AM
well at first it was too loose, causing the belt to come off slightly, then it was ok but belt still came off. now its really tight, the tensioner assembly bolt is sticking out a little less then an inch from the assembly if that helps

Belt wouldn't come off if it was ok.

Again, feel for tension from the tensioner back to the crank. Do not check between the tensioner and SC pulley.

should i grease the pulleys? if so what kind of grease should i use?

No need to. The tensioner has a sealed bearing.

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
No need to. The tensioner has a sealed bearing.

well i believe both the tensioner pulley and supercharger pulley are making noise. there is nothing i could put on both of them to stop the noise?

oogy-boogy
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Tensioner is a sealed bearing. You'd have to buy another (JR sells them).

If the SC bearing is going you're in for a load of trouble if it isn't addressed ASAP (been there). Your only option is sending it to JR.

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Tensioner is a sealed bearing. You'd have to buy another (JR sells them).

If the SC bearing is going you're in for a load of trouble if it isn't addressed ASAP (been there). Your only option is sending it to JR.

i just got off the phone with mike (thisisagame24) and he was saying that the bearing for the supercharger pulley is located inside the supercharger and not on the pulley itself. is this true? and is this why its a big problem?

the only thing i dont understand, is if thats true, why is it that when i spray silicone spray in between the pulley and charger does the noise go away?

oogy-boogy
06-10-2008, 08:51 AM
i just got off the phone with mike (thisisagame24) and he was saying that the bearing for the supercharger pulley is located inside the supercharger and not on the pulley itself. is this true? and is this why its a big problem?

the only thing i dont understand, is if thats true, why is it that when i spray silicone spray in between the pulley and charger does the noise go away?

Correct, which is why I stated to have it addressed ASAP. You need to remove it and send it to JR in order to have it fixed (they source it to Magnussen IIRC).

To sum it up:
- The charger has a bearing at the base of the shaft that holds the pulley on.
- The tensioner also has a bearing in it.

There are short term band aid fixes for everything. If it's the charger, remove it and get it fixed. If that bearing seizes you're fuxxed.

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Correct, which is why I stated to have it addressed ASAP. You need to remove it and send it to JR in order to have it fixed (they source it to Magnussen IIRC).

To sum it up:
- The charger has a bearing at the base of the shaft that holds the pulley on.
- The tensioner also has a bearing in it.

There are short term band aid fixes for everything. If it's the charger, remove it and get it fixed. If that bearing seizes you're fuxxed.

damn this is going to be a huge hassle, especially since my parents still don't know about the supercharger

MugenReplica
06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
damn this is going to be a huge hassle, especially since my parents still don't know about the supercharger

Its not that hard.

-Take off JRSC with buddy again. Don't forget to disable the powercard.:mwink:
-Buy another stock belt.
-Put PRB manifold, stock belt, and TB back on.
-Send JRSC to JR to fix.

Easy as that. Only 4 steps. If you can't do the work yourself, then get a friend to help you again. You can do it, man. Just take your time on a day off.:msmile:

vbpracer
06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry to hear that man, but maybe back to stock for a while. Wonder why it would do this all of the sudden since the only thing you did is change pulley and belt?

oogy-boogy
06-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Not a hassle. It's just another responsibility that comes with modifying cars. More power = more variables, more problems and more maintenance.

It pays to be proactive.

Sorry to hear that man, but maybe back to stock for a while. Wonder why it would do this all of the sudden since the only thing you did is change pulley and belt?

Added tension (if it was too tight) can snap the shaft or cause issues with the bearings. Also, if he used a mallet to remove the pulley it may have caused damage to the bearings.

mustclime
06-10-2008, 09:58 AM
ok.....here is my guess from reading through this....
1) i think you may have the washers reversed on the tensioner pulley..that or you have the wrong washers all togather(used kit ftl). This would cause you belt problems.....and cause a great deal of noise from the pulley....

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
alright guys just got back from the shop. car is fine.

here was the problem. the 4" pulley that i installed was chewed up on the inside and didn't sit right against that slit that it sits on. this caused the vibration and that awful sound. street pulley and belt is back on but the 310cc injectors are still on. is it ok to run with the 310cc on this setup until i get a brand new 4" pulley or should i change back to stock asap?

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 01:51 PM
so i just got off the phone with moss motorsports, the 4" pulley runs $107 and the idler pulley runs $35. i will be ordering it tomorrow and the ghetto kit will be back on when they come in.

on a side note, i know here on ephatch, it says for the race kit to use a 070622, which is the belt i have in my trunk. on supercharger.com it says to use a 070625. which one is recommended and why

kaisertj
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
so i just got off the phone with moss motorsports, the 4" pulley runs $107 and the idler pulley runs $35. i will be ordering it tomorrow and the ghetto kit will be back on when they come in.

on a side note, i know here on ephatch, it says for the race kit to use a 070622, which is the belt i have in my trunk. on supercharger.com it says to use a 070625. which one is recommended and why

Just a heads up, you can get the pulley from pulley boys for $85-$90, save a few bucks. The slight belt size difference is simply because a dayco belt used by JR is a 62.5". The nearest size manufactured from gatorback, which is usually the upgrade belt of choice, is a 62.2", thus the slight difference. There isnt really anything meaningful behind it, the slight difference in length will be accounted for in the tensioner, just will have less or more threads showing on the tensioner bolt when properly tightened.

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Just a heads up, you can get the pulley from pulley boys for $85-$90, save a few bucks. The slight belt size difference is simply because a dayco belt used by JR is a 62.5". The nearest size manufactured from gatorback, which is usually the upgrade belt of choice, is a 62.2", thus the slight difference. There isnt really anything meaningful behind it, the slight difference in length will be accounted for in the tensioner, just will have less or more threads showing on the tensioner bolt when properly tightened.

sounds good, does pulley boys have a website or how can i reach them?

edit* forget it found it, thanks, but they only sell the 3.8 and 3.7, i want to get a 4"

kaisertj
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
sounds good, does pulley boys have a website or how can i reach them?

edit* forget it found it, thanks, but they only sell the 3.8 and 3.7, i want to get a 4"

Try and call them, alot of whats on their site is not updated. I know a guy who bought a 4" from them about a year ago. There still open too, based based out of WA here. Worth a shot.

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Try and call them, alot of whats on their site is not updated. I know a guy who bought a 4" from them about a year ago. There still open too, based based out of WA here. Worth a shot.

alright i'm going to give them a call in the morning. thanks. hey how much hp do you think the blue pulley will give me over the black pulley :mbiggrin:

NrGiNnY14
06-10-2008, 05:44 PM
so is it fine to drive with the 310cc injectors with the 4.4" pulley until i get the new 4" pulley?

kaisertj
06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
alright i'm going to give them a call in the morning. thanks. hey how much hp do you think the blue pulley will give me over the black pulley :mbiggrin:

Blue pulley will give you a few extra pounds of boost and mad HP!!! Eff the black. :mbiggrin:

NrGiNnY14
06-12-2008, 05:18 AM
so is it fine to drive with the 310cc injectors with the 4.4" pulley until i get the new 4" pulley?

so do you think this will this be good for now

fsugatorbait
06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Interesting thread.

mustclime
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
alright guys just got back from the shop. car is fine.

here was the problem. the 4" pulley that i installed was chewed up on the inside and didn't sit right against that slit that it sits on. this caused the vibration and that awful sound. street pulley and belt is back on but the 310cc injectors are still on. is it ok to run with the 310cc on this setup until i get a brand new 4" pulley or should i change back to stock asap?

OMFG!I know exactly what happend because it happened to me:pound::pound:

I am the 3rd owner of my blower kit (got it for 1275- missing parts), it had a 4.4 and 4 inch pully, 440 injectors, map sensor and powercard.....the blower housing had marks where someone had used something to pry a pulley off and the race pulley had the hole in it opened up with a large drill bit to get it on.....

What happened here is who ever went to installed your 4.0 pulley used a drill or file to open up the hole so they could slide the pulley on enough to get some threads showing to pull the pulley on with the nut....:pound: My used kit had the same thing done to it!!!!:pound::pound:

Ok, pay attension, your pulleys are made out of low grade al.....they expand like crazy when you heat them....to get the pulley off, spend 5 minutes with propain torch and heat up the pulley(WHACH WHERE YOU ARE POINT THE HEAT AND HAVE WATER READY JUST IN CASE)...it will expand much more with heat than the steel shaft will....just tap it hot and it will come right off.....to install the 4 inch pulley,sit the dam thing on the stove and crank up the heat on a burner. When the thing is hot enough, grab it with a pair of pliers walk out to the car and with a set of gloves, slide it on the shaft...it will be loose when its hot....it will be tight when cold.... have fun...:mwink:

BlackEP9
06-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Just the kind of thread I didn't want to read before trying to install my JRSC

I still don't get where the map sensor is supposed to be re-located to..

NrGiNnY14
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
update, i installed the new 4" pulley from jr, and also installed a brand new idler pulley. it's running good, no complaints.

the only thing that i kind of got worried about but then realized it's probably normal, but with the 4" pulley on, the supercharger makes a sort of whining noise at idle and low rpm. it could just be me though. anybody else notice this while upgrading from the 4.4" to the 4" pulley. i just wanna see if thats normal, considering the pulley is spinning faster. the whining noise is coming from the supercharger itself, not the pulley

4angrybadgers
06-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Just the kind of thread I didn't want to read before trying to install my JRSC

I still don't get where the map sensor is supposed to be re-located to..

The "relocator" blocks off the stock MAP sensor port in the TB, and uses a rubber hose running to the supercharger casing. In the stock position (before the blower) it won't read any boost, so it has to be moved after the supercharger rotors to "see" the boost.

j0000stin
06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
G??

i thought it stood for GANSTA for a sec haha...but i say k pro and race kit ftw

BlackEP9
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
The "relocator" blocks off the stock MAP sensor port in the TB, and uses a rubber hose running to the supercharger casing. In the stock position (before the blower) it won't read any boost, so it has to be moved after the supercharger rotors to "see" the boost.

moved where?

4angrybadgers
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
moved where?

The relocator has a hose running to the supercharger housing, between the rotors and the cylinder head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/102crew/My%20ride/map_relocator.jpg

kingphoenix07
07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
update, i installed the new 4" pulley from jr, and also installed a brand new idler pulley. It's running good, no complaints.

The only thing that i kind of got worried about but then realized it's probably normal, but with the 4" pulley on, the supercharger makes a sort of whining noise at idle and low rpm. It could just be me though. Anybody else notice this while upgrading from the 4.4" to the 4" pulley. I just wanna see if thats normal, considering the pulley is spinning faster. The whining noise is coming from the supercharger itself, not the pulley
|
v

the whine is the charger. You shouldn't have any rubbing noises. It's just another parasitic pulley.

illusionsoflife
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
i would save....sounds kinda trash to do that....im saving for a k24a2 now....then selling my turbo kit to get jrsc and kpro. mmmmmmm

mustclime
07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
so, did you blow up yet?:mconfused:

jeenyusss
07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
somrthing snapped on teh supercharger i think, he was talking about selling the car

NrGiNnY14
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
so, did you blow up yet?:mconfused:

nope supercharger broke before the motor got a chance to :mbiggrin:

somrthing snapped on teh supercharger i think, he was talking about selling the car

yea the shaft that holds the pulley snapped right off of the charger. still don't know how it happened. from guessing, either the bearing seized or the belt was too tight. i don't think it was because the belt was too tight because i would expect the belt to snap before a piece of metal thats about 2 inches thick.

anyways yea the car is for sale, i think i'm going to trade it in and i plan on ordering the john cooper works mini cooper s when i get back from italy. its a 3 month wait on the car so in the mean time i will start parting the car out

jeenyusss
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
mustys pants are going to grow when he reads what car your getting:meek:

NrGiNnY14
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
mustys pants are going to grow when he reads what car your getting:meek:

:mbiggrin:

don't worry, it won't be any ordinary regular mini.

jcw kit includes: intake, exhaust, upgraded turbo, ecu, upgraded pistons, 4-piston brembo brakes, racing clutch

also the aftermarket jcw parts i plan on getting with the car: cf hood scoop, cf mirror caps, cf spoiler, cf rear diffuser, cf rear hatch handle, cf dash trim, cf steering wheel, cf shift knob

i am getting the car in red with the black roof, black bonnet stripes and the jcw black 18" wheels

another thing i plan on getting minor aftermarket parts such as the alta FMIC and alta BOV along with the alta CAI and boost tubes

jeenyusss
07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
my mom is going to want to borrow it :mconfused:

kingphoenix07
07-15-2008, 08:03 PM

So is the Sc trash then or can it be fixed?...cause if it can be fixed i might be interested.

NrGiNnY14
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
So is the Sc trash then or can it be fixed?...cause if it can be fixed i might be interested.

i don't know yet, i have to call moss and see what i can do with it, i'm sure it can be rebuilt, i just need to see if it is warrantied. if its warrantied i will get it fixed and sell it, if not i will sell it as is

NrGiNnY14
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM

why would she want to borrow it, so she can smoke you :mtongue:

jeenyusss
07-16-2008, 02:59 AM
:pound:

you vs me when u get the cooper

NrGiNnY14
07-16-2008, 09:35 AM
:pound:
you vs me when u get the cooper

i'm down. hey anyways hows ur car running? did you figure out everything?

jeenyusss
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
i dont want to jinx it but its running good right now, think it might finally be all goodd
go to evans last day in august:help:

NrGiNnY14
07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
i dont want to jinx it but its running good right now, think it might finally be all goodd
go to evans last day in august:help:

very nice i might have to come :mangel: