PDA

View Full Version : Centered Exhaust

hempzityshizzle
06-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but I love the exhaust on the new r32s, they have it centered in the back of the car. It crossed my mind at one point that I wanted to try it on my ep3, but I couldnt find anything on it. Anyways, I stumbled across a picture of an ep3 with it like this, I loved it. Anyone know how I could do this? I dunno how to post pics, but heres the link: http://www.showstoppersusa.com/Images/3926_1089082236.jpg

:mtongue:

skooba
06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
He was a user here way back in the day. His name was Widebody EP3. You can find his old thread (no pictures remain) here: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27321

He said something about cutting out the spare tire well to make the exhaust fit.

talonXracer
06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
It wouldnt be hard to have the exhaust make a turn towards the center just after it makes the hump over the pass side suspension, add a short resonator style muffler and then make a right hand turn with the tips. The two right hand turns will reduce the exhaust noise as well. You may need to do some sheetmetal work.

siver-SI
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
What is going to suck with that if you are a DIY guy and you loose your center jack point.

RedSiBaron
06-03-2008, 07:20 PM
It wouldnt be hard to have the exhaust make a turn towards the center just after it makes the hump over the pass side suspension, add a short resonator style muffler and then make a right hand turn with the tips. The two right hand turns will reduce the exhaust noise as well. You may need to do some sheetmetal work.

hrrm...kinda reminds me of the original Si exhausts on the 86/87si and 88-91si ...hrrm:mangel:

theres a reason our car had a dual tip stock...dual tips were a honda tradition with the si...

What is going to suck with that if you are a DIY guy and you loose your center jack point.

nah you could still do it i bet...

Chazwick05
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
i can still use my center jack, it's not a problem whatsoever!

T_Virus
06-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Hmm...not my cup of tea...but if you go for it, props to you

03Si757
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I Like.

kaisertj
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Every single Kia spectra five has that conversion done near my house me..... Might look ok on an ep3.

hempzityshizzle
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the help, Ill figure something out, the exhaust part should me cake, its the whole bumper/skirt thing that needs some help. hahga

proudtobeawesom
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
with a kit like that it looks like it flows well

id rock it

~kevin

RedSiBaron
06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the help, Ill figure something out, the exhaust part should me cake, its the whole bumper/skirt thing that needs some help. hahga

now what you could do is cut the opening in the lip/bumper off for the exhaust and then fill it back with fiberglass, then cut a new spot in the center and glass in the old opening, smooth it all out filler/sanding/primer and then repaint it...thats what i would do...

RedSiBaron
06-06-2008, 07:41 AM
lol^^^ ?????????????

ep3moschini
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
:meek: time for me to chime in with my

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021

RedSiBaron
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
:meek: time for me to chime in with my

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021http://www.ephatch.com/forum/image.php?u=5593&dateline=1211242021

OH NOES!!!!

dichotomous
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
as far as bodywork for the plastic bumper it depends on how ghetto you want to do it. on my previous civic, a '95 ex coupe, I had to replace the stock exhaust and the cheepest method for me to do it was key. I got a parts store cheepie exhaust, and a long exhaust tip (the tip was about a foot long and about 3" wide) and clamped it all together so the tip stuck out a nice respectable 2" or so from the back of the car, and then I secured it up nice and firmly, and it was pressing on the bumper. "oh well" I said figuring it sucked but really didnt fit any other way. well that exhaust tip got hot and unsuprisingly melted the plastic bumper where it was touching. the suprising part is that it did it really cleanly and after a couple of months and retightening the straps so the exhaust was nice and straight and happy, it formed a beautifully matched cutout 1/4" bigger than the pipe just like I ment it to do that, I just snapped off the melted plastic now and then. This was, of course, in the same location as the existing tailpipe so there was no other hole to fill in, but it worked for what it did. the tip was chrome too so a quick polish and it was a suprisingly nice looking exhaust that wasnt the typical civic grapefruit shooter/motorcycle muffler.

RedSiBaron
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
as far as bodywork for the plastic bumper it depends on how ghetto you want to do it. on my previous civic, a '95 ex coupe, I had to replace the stock exhaust and the cheepest method for me to do it was key. I got a parts store cheepie exhaust, and a long exhaust tip (the tip was about a foot long and about 3" wide) and clamped it all together so the tip stuck out a nice respectable 2" or so from the back of the car, and then I secured it up nice and firmly, and it was pressing on the bumper. "oh well" I said figuring it sucked but really didnt fit any other way. well that exhaust tip got hot and unsuprisingly melted the plastic bumper where it was touching. the suprising part is that it did it really cleanly and after a couple of months and retightening the straps so the exhaust was nice and straight and happy, it formed a beautifully matched cutout 1/4" bigger than the pipe just like I ment it to do that, I just snapped off the melted plastic now and then. This was, of course, in the same location as the existing tailpipe so there was no other hole to fill in, but it worked for what it did. the tip was chrome too so a quick polish and it was a suprisingly nice looking exhaust that wasnt the typical civic grapefruit shooter/motorcycle muffler.

thats halariously ghetto-tasticly-awesome :thumb:

ep3moschini
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM

my buddy club spec II on my integra did that lol

dichotomous
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM

it REALLY REALLY was a ghetto way to do it, but it ended up looking perfect, like an oldschool well done performance exhaust. Basically, I got lucky on that one.
now the black flames I added to the hood.... were very well layed out and awsome as far as flames go, but I dont think I'll do flames again

dashehonda
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Every single Kia spectra five has that conversion done near my house me..... Might look ok on an ep3.

Whats up with that, ive seen like 3 so far near me, its like they re the next big thing right?:mrolleyes:

kaisertj
06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Whats up with that, ive seen like 3 so far near me, its like they re the next big thing right?:mrolleyes:

Yeah, so it seems..... Actually, one of the guys used to work with me, said he spent almost 2k after the modified bumper, paint, exhaust and labor. On an auto sprectra five..... Sucker was loud too, he would always hit the gas funny when acclerating to make it sound like a manual too. On a different note, I believe one of the last 3-4 issues of hondatuning had an EG with a dual center exit, didnt look too bad at all.

TTownEP
06-06-2008, 07:41 PM

I had a similar situation in my old '93 Accord. But possibly even more ghetto...
This was my first import by the way, I learned a lot from those mistakes.

I was going to "improve" my exhaust system. So I went down to Advance Auto Parts, and got me an APC fart-can muffler. It didn't come with mounts, it was just a little universal deal. So I clamped it up and hung it from the other loops with some wire. As it turns out, I had hung it a little high, and it was pushing up into the bumper, which it promptly melted. Wherever that car is, it still has burnt plastic marks on that tip to this day. But in an even more ghetto-fabulous maneuver, I made some repairs... Being lowered, the little pre-muffler up towards the middle of the car suffered a lot of scrapes. It finally developed a hole, and to fix it, I used two Mountain Dew cans as skins, which I held in place with more wire. Those rubbed off, so I cut the whole thing out, and replaced it with a straight section of pipe held in place with exhaust clamps. Later on in this car's life, that APC muffler came off the wires and was dragged along the road a bit before I stopped and removed it the rest of the way in the turn lane on University Boulevard down in Mobile. That's when I learned to stop being cheap (kinda) and I went and had it welded in place by a shop.