and when you use the s ones you got to have the base rotors right

RedSiBaron
06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
ok i have looked this up but im still unsure of a few things
like do you have to use the type s spindles or can u use the base ones
and when you use the s ones you got to have the base rotors right

uhhhh....what!?

im not sure what you are asking so im just going to go through everything

since you called it 5 lug conv. i can assume you are an 02/03 with the 4 lug...

you will need these parts from an 02/03/04 type s

you need all these parts from the type s

knuckles
all 4 disks
front calipers and caliper brackets and pads
rear hub assemblies
axles and axle nuts
abs sensors (you can use your stock ep ones, but you will have to shim them)

you can reuse your hardware, brakelines and your rear calipers, though i would only imagine that you would get the rears with your swap

when you do the swap, i highly suggest at the very least replacing the lower balljoint boots, but also i suggest rebuilding your calipers, pressing new bearings in, buying new hardware, stainless lines if you can afford, resurface the disks or buy new ones, and buying new axles or rebuilding the ones you get...i suggest this stuff only because
1. you dont always know the true condition or history of the parts you get for the swap and
2. because your at it now, so why not have "new" parts

if i forgot anything people, please chime in...

the type s caliper has a bigger pad (bigger contact patch) and the rotors are bigger (by about an inch total diameter, 11.9in) they provide very nice stopping power...if you can swap in the master cylinder from a type s as well, that will also help...then bleed the brakes thoroughly and make sure there are no air bubbles left in the system, this may take an hour or two but i feel it is very very important for a good pedal feel and engage point...with my stainless lines on my swap with the proper bleeding fully pressed the pedal is even with a de-pressed throttle...wonderfully stiff

OH and one last thing, ensure that the abs sensors you use (if you get type s ones) are in working order before install, i myself have atleast 1 bad one and havnt had time to figure out which (the guy i bought the swap from said he would throw them in and not charge me, i didnt realize he meant literally throw them in the box, so they shipped just moving around loose with all the heavy components, LAME... if you have a bad sensor your abs system wont really engage, you might sometimes feel it modulate lightly...if you arent used to not having abs it might be an issue for you, this is my first car with abs so ive been happy to not have it, though i would like to get it working again before i disable it