PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Sucks! Hit a road sign.

TheAmericanStig
06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
So I was coming back to school and on my campus there are a series of really neat turns right by the main entrance, on which I usually do some "spirited driving".

The other night, however, I DDed and took a buddy out to a bar. As I neared the campus entrance on the way home, I matched revvs, downshifted, and prepped myself for "my run". However, I glanced at my annebriated friend in the passenger seat, and began to slow down. I told him I didnt want to do anything that might upset his stomach.

"No man, do what you gotta do... Im fine" he replied, not intending to spoil any of my fun. With that, I began to take the first turn.

I bombed right around it like it was nothing, took the second larger radius turn smoothly onto the small straight and prepped myself for the third and final turn onto the back road which I took to my apartment.

As I neared the final turn I saw a patch of gravel, so I slowed my speed and the pitch of my turn in order to compensate. The front tires rolled right over them following my exact intended path, as if I was Colin Mcrae. What I didnt account for, however, was the rear tires. After my front tires had crossed the gravel, I began to accelerate out of the turn.

I immediately felt my car begin to oversteer, and naturally counter-locked, in order to correct myself. BAM! the second my rear tires left the gravel they caught right up and snapped my car dead on into a road sign.

The sign broke right off, snapping as if it were a toothpick. I thought for sure my front bumper and possibly a headlight and grill were a goner. But when we got back to my apartment I was pleasantly surprised.

The ep, like a champ, had survived with only minor cosmetic damage to the front bumper. I will post pictures when I get home to better explain the details.

ep3er
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Shit happens. Thank God you guys are ok and nothing major occurred. :mbiggrin:

Draw7Seven
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Haha I screwed up my Mom's Beetle pretty good because of some gravel that spilled off the end of a feeder road over onto the asphalt of a highway. I blamed it on the inferior handling of her car on crap tires as compared to the EP I've gotten used to driving. I was just glad I wasn't in the EP when I did it. And you can be glad you didn't take much damage! JDM time?

ryko
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
damn dude. atleast its not busted too bad. i fell asleep going 60 (on my way too work) and took out a sign lol..i could have hurt someone or been hurt tho so its k.

RedSiBaron
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
dont mention gravel around cow... :mangel:

gravel is ice at speed...

my parents driveway where i grew up was all gravel...just started driving my car, i was 16, coming down our driveway, at the bottom next to teh garage is giant god damn pine tree...hit my brakes and i kept on going...stopped 4 inches from the tree, learned my lesson quick to slow the down on gravel...luckily i didnt learn the hard way...

crhatch02
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
its alright..we all do stuff like that...I mowed over a tree in my ep..and I wasn't even in the car

27rocks
The Ep is a tank!! Yeah i do a lot of sirited driving and i sometimes wonder what could be waiting for me in the next corner.

Kerby
three words is all im gonna say.....

can has awd:boink:

EPSpeedKing
06-06-2008, 10:51 AM
u lucky nothing serious happened.

jtyler05si
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
were there any other drivers on the road or pedestrians nearby?

freelunch
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Ugh gravel... I once spun out my rear tires on gravel too, and it sent me off the road. Luckily i managed to countersteer and I went off the road straight instead of sideways. My EP took some very minor damage, but if I hadnt been able to correct my spin, I probably would have rolled when I left the road.

Gravel... still scares me when I see it on a bend.

Rep
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
It seems you would have been better not counter locking and let the car run its course. FWD cars are pretty forgiving. When FWD cars lose traction, I let it do it's thing (understeer) and it always turns out fine.

MugsyTheGr8
06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
the same thing happened to me before. i was drivng in the winter and saw some salt build up in the middle of the turn. as soon as i hit the gas with my rear wheels over the salt, the back end broke loose. they were no cars on the road and luckily i spun in place. i wasnt even speeding or anything, it really freaked me out.

v1c10us
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
It seems you would have been better not counter locking and let the car run its course. FWD cars are pretty forgiving. When FWD cars lose traction, I let it do it's thing (understeer) and it always turns out fine.

yeah but the front didn't lose traction, the rear did, apparantly.
I'da pretended I was in the fast and the furious and just tried to drift the corner.
your steering and pulling wheels had traction, I would've just kept turning the right way and kept gassing, the rear will snap back and it'll all be fine.

fatdong
06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
gravel is insane, i always slip and slide on the bike

i guess youre not the stig after all :D:D lol jk

jjr007
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Always have to beware of the marbles, racing at the original road course at Louden N.h. I got into them braking at the edge of the track in a turn, and went straight into a tire wall.

donkeygong64
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I did that once, spun a 180 and almost hit a road biker. Scariest moment of my life, never forget it. Just one of those things i regret everyday.

Sub
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
glad you didn't really hurt anything.

QUEEN
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Glad you're ok

RAMSES EP3
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
good thing nothing happend to you.

Mini-Odyssey05
06-08-2008, 01:34 AM
gravel FTL!!!

glad you're ok and the EP had only minor injuries =)