PDA

View Full Version : Muffler rectomy anyone done it do their stock pipe?

ep pilot
11-16-2002, 03:16 PM
When I had my Jetta, I ran the stock exhaust, yet I had a shop remove the mid-pipe section I.e. resonator, after that the sound was very throaty and audible. I can best discripe it as what a stock (E34) M3 crossed with a late eighties Saab 900turbo might sound like. Very coarse, Very seductive but the least bit offensive to fellow passengers or motorists. I am wondering if anyone has attempted this on their (EP)? as I am thinking about ordering an O.E.M mid-section, then have a shop cut off the stock resonator and bolt it up, the reason I want to order a seperate piece, because if it sound like Poop I would want to put the old one back in place. I think the factory rear muffler looks awesome and allready as a distinctive note, but wonder how much growl the mid pipe section is holding back.

-Ryan

TrippZ
11-16-2002, 04:29 PM
i want to know as well...

JSIR
11-16-2002, 06:44 PM
what many of us have done is put on a new mid-pipe without a resonator, connected to the stock muffler, I think this is a good upgrade, sounds great, and like you I love the stock muffler. Not loud at all IMO. This will also be much cheaper than getting an OEM mid-pipe and playing with it. Plus with an OEM midpipe you still end up with a pea-shooter pipe, this thing is tiny !. You can get a 2.25 crush bent midpipe for $100 or less installed, if you want to go smaller you could even do a 2 inch pipe, and have it all hook up to the stock muffler. best bang for the buck.