PDA

View Full Version : T1R inverted tie rod end + body frame

bigo711
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I couldnt find a thread of inverted tie rod on USDM ep3 with TEIN FLEX.
so here, Just a confirmation that any inverted pillowball tie rod end WILL WORK with tein flex for USDM ep3. My drop is not much, maybe 1.5in.

I have both of them and there is no problem at all.
I think tein SS and basic should have no problem either.

Don't hesitate about buying them. it's really easy install compared to the "relocation bracket". If you can change oil, you can do it. Also, I think it corrects more angle than the bracket.
I highly recommend them.
The bumpsteer issue is really solved too. it's not just my imagination btw.

the reason why i brought this up is that many people are concerned about tie rod hitting the body frame. When i first purchased them, i was also very worried that the inverted tie rod end will hit the body frame. However, after installation. I am 100% sure that it will not hit, and there is tons of clearance when the car is jacked up (at least 7-8cm)

If anyone has the inverted tie rod end, please post up your application, so new buyers know if they will work.

Ep3kp
06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
If you could get some pics posted that would be sweet.

bigo711
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
what kind of picture are u lookin for?

superhatch
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I just ordered a set, and I'll take some pics once they are installed. I will be using them on my D2 coilovers.

talonXracer
06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a set right here staring at me, I wouldnt even use these on my CubCadet lawn mower. They are the chinnsiest pieces of crap I have ever seen.

And there has been several posts where they actually BROKE IN HALF and seperated the steering(luckily both instances were in parking lots) Imagine that snapping at 80mph...............

superhatch
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Thats awesome, cause I just dropped $200 on them. :mcry: I searched and searched but could only find this post about inverted tie rods. *sigh*

bigo711
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a set right here staring at me, I wouldnt even use these on my CubCadet lawn mower. They are the chinnsiest pieces of crap I have ever seen.

And there has been several posts where they actually BROKE IN HALF and seperated the steering(luckily both instances were in parking lots) Imagine that snapping at 80mph...............

there was only one single case that he had his broke in half, and his was used part.

Also, on clubRSX, tons of people are running inverted tie rod end from AKOM racing, and there has been no problem. THeir product also has been using on race tracks, so it should be able to take enormous amount of stress.
I doubt AKOM racing's inverted tie rod is any different from T1R's-
material and constructions are the same.

therefore, if you are uncomfortable about T1R inverted tie rod's quality, you should still get a inverted tie rod end from whatever other brand. It improves handling a lot if you are lowered.

Well-known japan company has been producing similar products too.
Ex) Tracy Sports, Top fuel.. their constructions look the same to me as well.
J's racing also has inverted tie rod for other car application, using similar pillowball method.

bigo711
06-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Thats awesome, cause I just dropped $200 on them. :mcry: I searched and searched but could only find this post about inverted tie rods. *sigh*

Well, i wouldnt worry about it. Akom racing has similar products, and a lot of ppl have been using it.

you could wait to see if it breaks on me tho :P

superhatch
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I've read through a bunch of posts on H-T, clubRSX and other forums and found about 20+ positive results. The only actual case I found where one snapped was when someone did some weird welding to their piece first. The other "T1R snapped" replies were all friend of a friend replies.

I'm going to put them on tomorrow when then come in. :mbiggrin:

bigo711
06-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I've read through a bunch of posts on H-T, clubRSX and other forums and found about 20+ positive results. The only actual case I found where one snapped was when someone did some weird welding to their piece first. The other "T1R snapped" replies were all friend of a friend replies.

I'm going to put them on tomorrow when then come in. :mbiggrin:

yeah, let me know after puttin them on.
I think the pillowball makes sounds when you shift gears(when your car jerks a bit)
i wonder if everyone's like that

civiKSiborg
07-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah I have my set on. I have had a problem with them, however its probably my fault. The set that arrived at my door needed washers to properly seat the tapered end into the hole. The stock torque specs is around 35ft-lbs, bad idea. If i had no cotter pins I would probably be dead already. So to be safe I brought it up to 50ft-lbs. And they still... Got loose. Maybe its time for loctite? or should I try torquing it to 60?

chrispychicken
07-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I did have them but they snapped on me on the driver side!!!!:meek::meek::meek:
I was running buddy club N+ with the T1R inverted tie rod ends.

I'll post pics up tomorrow. I had a thread about this before the site went down.

bigo711
07-05-2008, 12:02 AM

I'll post pics up tomorrow. I had a thread about this before the site went down.

I remember your thread..

bigo711
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah I have my set on. I have had a problem with them, however its probably my fault. The set that arrived at my door needed washers to properly seat the tapered end into the hole. The stock torque specs is around 35ft-lbs, bad idea. If i had no cotter pins I would probably be dead already. So to be safe I brought it up to 50ft-lbs. And they still... Got loose. Maybe its time for loctite? or should I try torquing it to 60?

What washer are you talkin about?

SD_smrk1
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
is it bad or okay to reverse the tierods instead of buying inverted tie rods.
i have just got some new ones and haven installed them yet and wanted to know if i could do this instead of getting the reverse tie rods from T1r

donaldep3
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM

I remember your post too. I have had the TIE ROD ENDS sitting in my bed room long ass time, but no gutts to install them.....:mcry:

mikhsoj
07-16-2008, 04:07 AM
wow back when i had my car, i remember people looking at the mugen ctr and seeing the inverted tie rod ends. didnt know that they actually make them now. pretty cool.

and if i remember correctly, you cannot just invert stock tie rod ends. i think there is a reason why aftermarket companies make sets.

dichotomous
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
you CAN just invert regular tie rod ends, I remember talon writing of this. BUT (and this is a large but) you have to use the RSX-s tie rod ends and you have to have your steering arm hole tapers machined in reverse. the taper goes from small on the bottom to large on top. if you invert you are gonna want large on bottom small on top. the rsx-s tie rod ends have a thicker taper, so when you machine the steering arm using the previous tapers large end as the small end, it works out about right for the thicker tapers. logic seems that these OEM tie-rod ends in the modified placement will be better than reverse taper tierod ends

NHBP ep3
07-18-2008, 01:07 AM
what does inverted tie rod ends do?:mconfused:

oldschoolimport
07-18-2008, 01:40 AM
what does inverted tie rod ends do?:mconfused:

levels the tie rods, helping to reduce/eliminate bump steer.

bigo711
07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I remember your post too. I have had the TIE ROD ENDS sitting in my bed room long ass time, but no gutts to install them.....:mcry:

install them man, it makes a big difference
i am sure it's strong enough. members on clubrsx have been using similar pieces on turbo rsx on the track.
like i said, no one knows what happened to the broken one before he purchased it.
if you search around, you'll see that a lot of modded cars use aftermarket pillowball tie rod ends to correct bumpsteer. Even on race cars.

civiKSiborg
07-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Ive had my pillowball tie rods on for a couple of months now, but it does not seem to cure bumpsteer =[. It has helped it during tight lower speed cornering, but its still pretty bad during high speed cornering (50mph+)

bigo711
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Ive had my pillowball tie rods on for a couple of months now, but it does not seem to cure bumpsteer =[. It has helped it during tight lower speed cornering, but its still pretty bad during high speed cornering (50mph+)

bumpsteer will not be cured. we can only minimize the amount.
looks like your car is too low (from your avator pics).
if you raise your car a bit, you'll feel better driving.

freelunch
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm lowered 1.4" and I havent noticed any bumpsteer. How low do you gotta go before you need it?

bigo711
07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm lowered 1.4" and I havent noticed any bumpsteer. How low do you gotta go before you need it?

It's always good for the steering rack if you use it - less stress on the rack.

Bumpsteer is hard to notice on daily driving.
If you are happy about the way your car is now, I would just leave it.

I got one cus I wanted to preserve my steering rack. Solving the bumpsteer issue is just an bonus for me. I didnt really care for bumpsteer since i am not into competitive driving. Just occasionally autocross, and hopefully track days.

so there really isnt an answer to "how low until u should get one"
there are pros and cons

pro:
decrease the stress on steering rack
feel the road through your steering wheel
decrease amount of bumpsteer.

con:
the play in tie rod will make some sound.

ep3moschini
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
FAIL! :msmile:

superhatch
07-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Ive had mine on for about 4k miles now, 2 800mi road trips, and 2 auto-x's...no problems noted at all.

bigo711
07-25-2008, 02:26 AM
FAIL!? :mcry:

dmon
07-25-2008, 02:48 AM
i got rsx-s 05-06 bcn+ with stock ep3 tie rod. im dropped as much as it can go (3" i think) and its doing fine so far. it doesn't hit the body frame. and i just used a washer and a lock washer (i think thats what its called) and made it tight. and i used some loctite for safety. but i dont do auto x or anything but yea lol.

oh yeah n i want to find out more about this reverse tie rod, cuz i really want a set

v1c10us
07-25-2008, 02:50 AM
honestly for the price you could probably have someone fab something up thats much sturdier.

bigo711
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
honestly for the price you could probably have someone fab something up thats much sturdier.

true that. we need to find sometime on EPhatch to fab up something better for us!