PDA

View Full Version : ground strap

frm_808
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/my%20car/0322081838-1.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/my%20car/0322081838.jpg

got these from japan, guys seen this anywhere locally? or just anywhere ha need another one soon

charles
06-08-2008, 01:54 PM
what does it do?

frm_808
06-08-2008, 02:00 PM
what does it do?

grounding strap, used in japan to prevent static shock when getting out of cars. its also suppose to improve radio frequency. it really does help out on the static shocks. its wat you see on city busses. but its just funny to see other people point and tell you have something hanging from your car. priceless:mtongue:

ghettotech
06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
i used to have one sold it to my freind...but im looking for the heart one if i can find that one ill buy another one

ep3man
06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/my%20car/0322081838-1.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/my%20car/0322081838.jpg

got these from japan, guys seen this anywhere locally? or just anywhere ha need another one soon

what do they do??? cuz i get shocked every time i get out of my car if they stop that then i need 1 bad

RedSiBaron
06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
as funny as it is, i have to admit thats pretty damn cool

ep_hatcher_510
06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
is also used to measure how low the car is to the ground :mangel:

civictype_r04
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow weird but if its JDM thats cool I guess.

RedSiBaron
06-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow weird but if its JDM thats cool I guess.

hahaha they do have some crazy useful stuff though...like parking lights...

Passenger
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
dingleberry

ep_hatcher_510
06-08-2008, 08:33 PM
hahaha they do have some crazy useful stuff though...like parking lights...

i like their parking poles.

RedSiBaron
06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
i like their parking poles.

i dont think id modify my bumper to put one in...but i might on my old civic...it has lots of room in the bumper...but this shitty thing is that whenever the used ones pop up on ebay they are STUPID expensive...its like "ok...id love to have one for the cool function, but no way im paying that much just to compete with the kids that are buying it cuz itll make their car more mad wicked jdm

frm_808
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
so i take it that no one knows where to get one either than japan

frm_808
06-10-2008, 11:04 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/l_ee19b816cda02acc909b86a45b01ad42.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/l_0184903f08d320aaf347209eaa3acc31.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/stevenfukunaga/l_88039b05bac747145b7d5612049478f5.jpg

more pics from my buddy

CastorTroy2
06-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I get shocked out of my car EVERYTIME i get out.. hahahha

jdm_ep3
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
i see a lot of peeps around my town with those already so its played out!!! i think they look dumb unless your car is slammed haha.

its a ivtec
06-11-2008, 12:14 AM
does it make any annoying scraping kinda sounds as u drive??

frm_808
06-11-2008, 12:24 AM
does it make any annoying scraping kinda sounds as u drive??

no you cant hear it unless your goin in reverse then you can hear it jumping

chubbychu
06-11-2008, 01:12 AM
how does that work out since...the ground is made of concrete?

I guess thats cool. No longer is the car a safe place to hide in a lightning storm though. :(

Chad
06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
how does that work out since...the ground is made of concrete?

I guess thats cool. No longer is the car a safe place to hide in a lightning storm though. :(

Stand on concrete, barefoot, find an electrical outlet, the Little blade is Hot, make contact and tell me if concrete is ground :mtongue:

Just kidding, DONT do this, concrete is an appropriate ground for static discharge and RF properties, NOT AS A SAFETY GROUND FOR HOME WIRING.

The same principle is used for fuel tankers to keep them from building up a charge.

As for lightning, possibly safer, Google: Faraday Cage.

lordofthesiths
06-11-2008, 08:54 AM
this is also used on aircraft.
kinda lame on a car though.

phill
06-11-2008, 09:00 AM
atleast its functional jdm...

chubbychu
06-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Stand on concrete, barefoot, find an electrical outlet, the Little blade is Hot, make contact and tell me if concrete is ground :mtongue:

Just kidding, DONT do this, concrete is an appropriate ground for static discharge and RF properties, NOT AS A SAFETY GROUND FOR HOME WIRING.

The same principle is used for fuel tankers to keep them from building up a charge.

As for lightning, possibly safer, Google: Faraday Cage.

Learn something new everyday...

cool, thanks! my presuppositions about electrical theories were all off.

interesting thing with the faraday cage!!! i watched some stuff on youtube, its weird. how if you're inside you can touch the inside and still be safe. I'm so confused. oh well.

Chad
06-11-2008, 11:46 AM
interesting thing with the faraday cage!!! i watched some stuff on youtube, its weird. how if you're inside you can touch the inside and still be safe. I'm so confused. oh well.

Also goes along with the "one thing at a time approach" Let's say you are insulated from ground, and you grab 120V... nothing will happen, you body floats up to the potential of 120V, since you need a potential other than 120V to carry current (0V for ground) you will feel NOTHING, maybe some hair standage at tens of kilovolt levels and above. BUT if someone is grounded and you touch them, you complete the circuit and the both get the hell knocked out of you.

Think of birds and animals on a wire, a bird sitting on a HV line in town is charged at 3500V---10KV, it's resting at that potential, it lives because there is no current flowing THRU it, but we have all seen that unfortunate squirrel that still has the rear legs on the wire and acidentally touches the lightning protection ;) (ground) A faraday cage can and will do the opposite, provide a path for electricity (and RF for that matter) to travel to ground without penetration, sure you can touch the cage and it IS raising and lowering in potential due to ground resistance, but since you are one with that device your potential changes too.

A plane you are in is going 200MPH, you jump up in the air, are you going 200MPH while you are in the air? See?

It's cool shit as long as someone can expliain it to you tha't not going to try to blow shit over your head :mwink:

frm_808
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
damn bad ass

chubbychu
06-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Also goes along with the "one thing at a time approach" Let's say you are insulated from ground, and you grab 120V... nothing will happen, you body floats up to the potential of 120V, since you need a potential other than 120V to carry current (0V for ground) you will feel NOTHING, maybe some hair standage at tens of kilovolt levels and above. BUT if someone is grounded and you touch them, you complete the circuit and the both get the hell knocked out of you.

Think of birds and animals on a wire, a bird sitting on a HV line in town is charged at 3500V---10KV, it's resting at that potential, it lives because there is no current flowing THRU it, but we have all seen that unfortunate squirrel that still has the rear legs on the wire and acidentally touches the lightning protection ;) (ground) A faraday cage can and will do the opposite, provide a path for electricity (and RF for that matter) to travel to ground without penetration, sure you can touch the cage and it IS raising and lowering in potential due to ground resistance, but since you are one with that device your potential changes too.

A plane you are in is going 200MPH, you jump up in the air, are you going 200MPH while you are in the air? See?

It's cool shit as long as someone can expliain it to you tha't not going to try to blow shit over your head :mwink:

if you touched the faraday cage from the outside while youre standing on the ground youde get shocked right?

So, with The tires on a car being rubber, In a lightning storm, the car is rendered non-conductive?

With a grounding strap, the car is then considered conductive, BUT, it diverts the lightning into the concrete.

Chad
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
When talking about lightning you are talking about a bolt of electricity with enough vengance to jump from a mile or two in the air to ground, a lil WET rubber ain't gonna slow it down much and has less resistance than air. The common winter static charge, although similar to lightning, cannot break down the dielectric properties of a dry tire therefore a gound strap will bring the potential of the car to ground. Much of what you are feeling is the simple fact that air rushing over the car body (especially a waxed one) will generate a charge, much like rubbing a baloon on a sweater, when you touch ground with your food then touch the charged car, SHAZAM. Note that this did not happen int eh days when cars had metal door handles on the inside ;) To prevent this, if you don't want a tail on your car, hold onto metal and step onto the ground, problem solved.

As for the faraday question, yes, you'd get hammered :D

RedSiBaron
06-12-2008, 07:26 AM
if you dont want it hanging out the back, put it more underneath or something so people wont see it as easily...

jtyler05si
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
hmmm this is very interesting.
i know a guy that has to do a lot of work out in fields and such around electrical equipment. he has a strap hanging down from the back of his suv...

also. i was talking to a friend that graduated EE and he was trying to say that (along with the stuff Chad was going over) electricity takes the road easiest traveled, therefore a bird on a powerline is a 3 inch detour on hundred mile long cable.... could this be correct also?

Chad
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
The bird is AT the potential of the line, there is no detour, lit like saying you aren't gonna get wet when jumping in a flowing river :D

At REALLY high voltages the bird becomes an actual point of "intrest" to the ground because of it's protrusion from the wire, if it was gonna jump, it would jump there. Because in essence the bird now becomes a lesser path of resistance due to it's proximity to a different potential.

Here's a good one, semi trucks will put graphite in their tires, this helps dissapate static electricity while traveling and causes much less RF interference on the electronics/radios. Ever driven by a semi and had your radar detector chirp a few times?

frm_808
06-12-2008, 12:10 PM
wasnt there something on discovery or some other show sayin that some lightning goes from ground up (ground to cloud)

Chad
06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Both actually, it depends on which one is holding the positive and negative charge, electrons flow from neg to positive. Another thing people don't understand is the streamer or leader which is basically a "conduit" of ionized air that created the conductor for the charge to flow.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning5.htm

Intellicast has a map available depicting the polarity of strikes, it's cool the way it works with different frontal boundries especially in times of storm rotation (tornados).

Here;s a cool earth to cloud vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNhY3Hx83fA&feature=related

Chad

dichotomous
06-12-2008, 12:22 PM
ANY accessory place that deals with trucks will have these, they are like $20 and you get 2 of them. dont be a dork and put it off the back though, thats just dumb, connect it deep up under your chassis or something, off the subframe maybe. otherwise your a goober with a belt hanging off the back of your car.... honestly now

ghettotech
06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
what do you search for on ebay to find a grounding strap? i typed in grounding strap and nothing came up???

frm_808
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
what do you search for on ebay to find a grounding strap? i typed in grounding strap and nothing came up???

ebay wont have it tried it for years. idk if the uk one does or not

ANY accessory place that deals with trucks will have these, they are like $20 and you get 2 of them. dont be a dork and put it off the back though, thats just dumb, connect it deep up under your chassis or something, off the subframe maybe. otherwise your a goober with a belt hanging off the back of your car.... honestly now

this one is made to be on the rear, y would there be a reflector emblem if it wasnt. its hooked up to my chassis. 2 screws that holds the cables down to the mount and you have a ground wire that needs to be bolted down on the chassis itself.