PDA

View Full Version : Why are my bulbs dying so fast?

Draw7Seven
06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
So after losing another headlight bulb (the third in six months, I wanna say), I've decided there has to be something wrong with a fuse or something that's causing this to happen. I THINK it's always the passenger's side, but honestly I don't remember. I'm just sick of buying replacements, and was wondering what kind of stuff I need to check.

Would a grounding kit help? I have some aftermarket stereo stuff. I could do the DIY.

Thanks.

dofu2
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I think there was either a recall or a service bulletin on this for some EPs. Otherwise, you want a heavy duty headlight harness... it shouldn't cost more than $20

Draw7Seven
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I think there was either a recall or a service bulletin on this for some EPs. Otherwise, you want a heavy duty headlight harness... it shouldn't cost more than $20

Link me something that would work? I hate electronics, I'm horrible with them.

And bumpity for any other ideas.

twep
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
if u touch it with ur oily fingers ... it'll die quicker

dofu2
06-09-2008, 05:28 AM

That too...

I'm not sure which is the good one though... Rich (02-sf-si or something like that with the Napolean Dynamite avy) was the one telling me that I should get these since I was having the same problem, but the guy he referred me to isn't making these anymore.

http://www.speeddemonperformance.com/noheduh4wiha.html

http://www.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih4.html

I know the info used to be here somewhere, but since the crash, I don't know if any of that is around anymore... I was actually hoping that one of the headlight gurus would jump in here and point the way.

The issue is usually just one side too btw (forgot which, but I think it was the battery side)...

Draw7Seven
06-09-2008, 05:43 AM

Yeah I washed hands and did what I thought to be a damn good job of NOT touching them at all during the last install. At this point I'm either an absolute idiot, or it's something other than my own error (though I'm not ruling out that first option.)

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Are you having any fogging issues with your headlights?

Silverstars?

Also, harness is sold here:
http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=24_73

dofu2
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=24_73

That's the one!

powdbyrice
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
silverstars ftmfl.

for some reason, one side burns out more quickly than the other.

what bulbs are you using?

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, that's why I had asked. I went through 2 sets of silverstars in less than a year. I used a clean cloth to install them and they still died. POS bulbs.

Draw7Seven
06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that's why I had asked. I went through 2 sets of silverstars in less than a year. I used a clean cloth to install them and they still died. POS bulbs.

As a matter of fact, I think they ARE Silverstars. So maybe I'll just get a different brand before I go spending $$ on harnesses. Any suggestions? Pref something I could buy at O'Reilly's/AutoZone/Etc. rather than order online.

oogy-boogy
06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
It's unfortunate becuase they worked well until they'd die. I think I ran PIAA's right before my OEM HID's.

dofu2
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
It's not the bulbs... the H4 on my G lasts a lot longer than any H4 on my EP ever lasted... Even PIAAs and Raybrigs last me a long time now... Hell, I changed the PIAAs out after 3 months just because I wasn't used to having a set of bulbs for more than 2-3 months... that and the fact they were a little too blue for my liking...

!@#$%
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I'm still running my original oem bulbs from 2002 when I bought the car. :tape2:

NitroBoarder
06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
As a matter of fact, I think they ARE Silverstars. So maybe I'll just get a different brand before I go spending $$ on harnesses. Any suggestions? Pref something I could buy at O'Reilly's/AutoZone/Etc. rather than order online.

well, if you payed over $20 for a bulb, they're Silverstars, just get the regular halogen headlight bulb, should be around $8. They should have sylvania halogen bulbs next to the silverstars, last time I bought them they were in a purple box (silverstars are in a white box) and it advertises that the bulbs last twice as long.

powdbyrice
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
i use the sylvanias that are just below the silverstars. can't remember which ones they are, but they're are a bit whiter than an oem bulb. they last longer than silverstars, but not as long as oem.

edit: xtravisions. i think they're the ones nitro is talking about too.