PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the windows

ArcticBlueRsx
11-17-2002, 01:33 AM
Hey has anyone heard about using newspapers to help dry your windows? I've personally never tried it yet simply because im afraid im gonna screw up my windows and smear ink all over them..lol..also does anyone know how to get rid of like water damage to the windows..like on my front windshield, no matter how much Windex i use on it, i can still see where my windshield wipers has wiped the water away, i think i can see where my windshield wipers has wiped away because of the acid rain or whatever...

1fastminivan
11-17-2002, 02:38 AM
Ive tried shop towels with windex and it doesnt work that great.........so I tried crumbled up newspaper with this stuff I use call "Invisible Glass".......works great. I swear the paper works good. I crumble it first then I use it to wipe off the invisible glass stuff. Try it out. Im still trying new things every time I wash my car. That absorber works great!!! I love it compared to my chamois ( dont know how to spell it). I finally tried wax as u dry and that stuff works awesome also!!!

ssvr6
11-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Newspaper is great for cleaning since it doesn't leave lint fibers all over the place.

As for cleaning the windsheild, I just use my car wash (mothers) and a scrubbing pad. Once clean I apply rainX on it. It's great. Although, I already need new wipers. Not bad, new wipers every 4500 miles? :rolleyes:

Steve

Spidey
11-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
chamois ( dont know how to spell it).

ding! that is correct.

pocketrocket
11-18-2002, 08:40 AM
I found that going over my windows with a cheap polishing cloth after I cleaned 'em worked pretty well.. Then I put rain-x on, and it's always a mess... I love that stuff, but it makes my windows a pain in the ass to clean. Also, try a nice soft squegee.. I picked one up at the local Meijer (don't know if you guys have those in your area) for 1.99.. and those helped with water spotting on my windows.

good luck.
Anthony

hacim
11-18-2002, 11:50 AM
I found a glass cleaning cloth at Bed Bath and Beyond when I went with my wife. Its great, you dont need water or anything and it prevents dust and streaks. I forgot the name for it but if anyone wants to know I can research it for you.

BarracksSi
11-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I just washed my car and used the Rain-X wipes. It sprinkled a bit yesterday, and I found that a coton polishing cloth worked well to take off the water spots on the windows.

I use the same cloth to clean the insides of the windows, too. It's basically just cotton fabric -- I might as well use an old undershirt.

jaydub
11-23-2002, 11:48 AM
I use microfiber towels with Stoner Invisible Glass. Best glass cleaner I've ever used, and it's a foam, instead of liquid like windex.

02civichatch
12-20-2002, 11:31 PM
newpapers and vinegar to clean windows! Use a rag to wipe on a shit load of vinegar then go ahead and get the wnewspaper scruntch it up in a ball and wipe off the vinegar streak free and tint safe! Just ur hands smell i suggest rubber gloves!!

Suk02Si
12-22-2002, 05:52 AM
I tried the newspapaer thing this morning and my windows still look the same:( . They don't have as much lint and fiber on 'em as before, but I can still see wipe/streak marks.

2k2SiAutoXer
12-22-2002, 06:01 PM
hey Suk-is there any chance that you got armor-all on your windsheild? I know that its a bitch it get that shit off. i have to clean my windows with windex like 10 times before all the streaks go away.
--Tom

Suk02Si
12-22-2002, 06:15 PM
nah, I don't use armor all on anything. I have to clean my windows with windex about 10 times too, but the streaks still don't go away:D

AkronSi
12-23-2002, 07:36 AM
I've found the Invisible Glass to be great with newspaper or a microfiber cloth.

I found a good tip for Rain-X that works great.

First clean your outside windows. Then apply the Rain-X like the directions say. I usually do 2 coats to make sure i get everything covered. Then instead of buffing the windows out like the directions say, just wash your car and do the windows with your soapy sponge or wash mitt like you noramally would. It works great.

IceD out N CALI
12-23-2002, 08:27 PM
i've been using that rainx for quite a while now, and I like the way it repels rain and makes washing the windows a cinch

BarracksSi
12-24-2002, 09:59 AM
To get rid of the streaks/wipe marks, I finish off with a dry cotton cloth. It takes a bit more time, but you could even detect the residue by feel -- when the cloth glides reeaalllly smoothly, the surface is almost guaranteed to be perfectly clean.