PDA

View Full Version : octane boosters

SI-FLAKO
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Yo as all you know gas prices have gone through the roof. i dont know about some of ya'll but i cant afford to get mid grade any more (89) i was thinkin in switching from mid to regural. wil that alone be alright or should i dropp a can of octane boster on every full tank. well if that wont hurt anything. if i can what brand is the best for me to use? ive heard that on older SIs Vtec would start knocking from usin regular gasoline is that true or will it hurt my engine if i just use regular??? thank you????

MugsyTheGr8
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Yo as all you know gas prices have gone through the roof. i dont know about some of ya'll but i cant afford to get mid grade any more (89) i was thinkin in switching from mid to regural. wil that alone be alright or should i dropp a can of octane boster on every full tank. well if that wont hurt anything. if i can what brand is the best for me to use? ive heard that on older SIs Vtec would start knocking from usin regular gasoline is that true or will it hurt my engine if i just use regular??? thank you????

you have the k20a3?

Tnhatch03
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
what are your mods? are you a stock EP? if so, switch to regular. you will not have any problems.

you would spend more purchasing octane booster than you would actually filling up with higher grade gasoline.

i do not like your avatar! ;-)

4angrybadgers
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
If you look in the manual (and maybe by the gas cap?) you'll see it's factory-tuned for 87 octane. Use regular gas - any more and you're just wasting money.

ecsahs3
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
i've heard that octane boosters cause more buildup on spark plugs and it is better to just purchase higher octane gasoline.

also, Tnhatch03 is right. you will spend more purchasing octane booster than filling up with higher octane gasoline. just say 92 octane is .20 more per gallon than 87. .20x13=$2.60.

SI-FLAKO
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
all i have is an injen cold air intake and a shit load of miles.lol. the rest are exterior like jdm fog lights and black casing head lights. thanks for the advise and by the way ill change my avatar as soon as i see another one that catches my eye.

Princess
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Forget octane booster, get race gas instead.

SI-FLAKO
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
thanks ill look it on the manual. why you say ivtec my ass. is the car not as fast as you wanted to be?

pynikal
06-10-2008, 05:39 AM
just use 87. it will run fine with no problems.

and i think as stated above you will spend more money adding the booster to each tank than just getting mid or premium.

HondaFreak
06-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Toluene

If you can get it. It's uber banned in CA. But that stuff would rock as an octane booster.

Christian

hybrid-x
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Toluene

If you can get it. It's uber banned in CA. But that stuff would rock as an octane booster.

Christian

Yeah, get that if you can. I didn't even know it was banned. I used to buy it at paint stores.

Octane boosters don't do shit. I'll try to find the article, but I think they said it gives you like .02% gain or something retarded.

Here's some good info on Toluene.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html

jtyler05si
06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
thanks ill look it on the manual. why you say ivtec my ass. is the car not as fast as you wanted to be?

nah, its just we A3 people have the shitty wanna-be ivtec.
do some searching, there is a lot to learn (and eventually envy. *cough *A2) on this site.

HondaFreak
06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, get that if you can. I didn't even know it was banned. I used to buy it at paint stores.

Octane boosters don't do shit. I'll try to find the article, but I think they said it gives you like .02% gain or something retarded.

Here's some good info on Toluene.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html

It's sold as a paint "dryer", so your paint thins and dries super fast.
You get a HUGE octane boost from Toluene. It's got a RON rating of 114.
Here's a site that explains it well. Toluene (http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html) A 10 parts gas to 1 part Toluene ratio gives you about a 1.5 increase in octane.

On a side note, F1 in the 1980's used to run Toluene exclusively. They stopped for what reason I don't know.

Christian

squeak04si
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
octane boosters do not work. i forget where, but i read a article in a major magazine where they tested the 4 top name brand octane boosters on the same engine with same conditions. every test showed a 2% power loss. i know nos brand and stp(with jet fuel) was 2 of them. the only thing octane boosters are good for is turning your sparkplugs red.

squeak04si
06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
It's sold as a paint "dryer", so your paint thins and dries super fast.
You get a HUGE octane boost from Toluene. It's got a RON rating of 114.
Here's a site that explains it well. Toluene (http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html) A 10 parts gas to 1 part Toluene ratio gives you about a 1.5 increase in octane.

On a side note, F1 in the 1980's used to run Toluene exclusively. They stopped for what reason I don't know.

Christian

this does work but you still have to tune on this to do any good. plus, yu have to mix it the same every time.

Slip_Angle
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I recently had a situation where I switched from using ESSO 91 to Shell 91 and started to experience knocking. I happened to have a bottle of the NOS octane boost around and emptied the bottle into my almost full tank of gas.

The result was an elimination of knock.

I doubt they all work but in this case it certainly did increase my octane levels.

HondaFreak
06-11-2008, 06:58 AM
this does work but you still have to tune on this to do any good. plus, yu have to mix it the same every time.

I agree it "should" be tuned for. However the method to my madness was to take good old cheap 87 and bump it to 91 with Toluene. Effectively, as long as you work out the correct ratio of gas to Toluene, you would be running just a modified 91. I don't know enough about Toluene and I can't seem to find the stuff to eve try out my experiment.

Christian

ecsahs3
06-12-2008, 05:56 AM
run race gas and kill your O2 sensor. there are places you can pick up VP fuel and there's a gas station in pasadena that sell 98 octane. i cant remember. its been a while.