PDA

View Full Version : speaker nightmare

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Someone in this forum said that the Infinity reference 6.5" speakers fit in our cars. That is BS. They only fit in the back. In the front they do not fit. The front speaker comes out with an integrated plastic frame that cannot be separated from the OEM speaker. I have no idea why some Honda genius designed this like this. Anyone has a solution? I searched and could not find it.
Thanks

NitroBoarder
06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
pretty sure you can get em over at www.crutchfield.com

and by them I mean a plastic speaker frame so you can mount it.

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 03:58 PM

I will check that, hopefully that is the case. Thanks

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM

well, only included with the speakers, which I already got for $30 less than crutchfield...I emailed them to see if they sell the brackets separately...

Tnhatch03
06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
did you misread where they said the speakers fit? hope you get it figured out man.

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
did you misread where they said the speakers fit? hope you get it figured out man.

no, that is what some thread showed...they just did not mention that a new bracket was needed. I had never seen speakers mounted in a plastic bracket like that...

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
no, that is what some thread showed...they just did not mention that a new bracket was needed. I had never seen speakers mounted in a plastic bracket like that...

I'm fvckn pissed off now, my auto window up or down does not work anymore after I put the door panel back on. son of a bitch

Tnhatch03
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
take off the panel and make sure your actuator/cable is hooked up and/or not pinched.

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
take off the panel and make sure your actuator/cable is hooked up and/or not pinched.

the harness was connected, but the switch has to be reset when it is disconnected...back to normal operation but I am still left with the speakers unistalled. I got the back ones done in 10 minutes.

Stanz0r
06-09-2008, 04:34 PM
the harness was connected, but the switch has to be reset when it is disconnected...back to normal operation but I am still left with the speakers unistalled. I got the back ones done in 10 minutes.

Make some spacers out of 3/4" MDF and use that to mount them. If you can't make them yourself stop by a local car stereo shop or search google for them. www.edesignaudio.com sells them and I think www.partsexpress.com does too.

SiN05
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Make some spacers out of 3/4" MDF and use that to mount them. If you can't make them yourself stop by a local car stereo shop or search google for them. www.edesignaudio.com sells them and I think www.partsexpress.com does too.

either that or use the ones that come with them and cut the holes in the doors to make them bigger. thats what I did

james04si
06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
the reference series does fit same as any other 6.5 you have to either make a spacer or buy the honda spacer. there is no direct replacement for our car that doesnt require an adapter. I think the only manufacturer that gives you the adapter with there speaker is alpine if I remember correctly.

ryko
06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
lol thats funny. sorry bout your trip ep3driver. i put some jbl power series components in my car, got the spacers for free from the car audio shop (when i worked there). they only cost tha shop like $3.00 for the pair, prolly retail at like 7.99

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
lol thats funny. sorry bout your trip ep3driver. i put some jbl power series components in my car, got the spacers for free from the car audio shop (when i worked there). they only cost tha shop like $3.00 for the pair, prolly retail at like 7.99

yup, I will be happy when I find those spacers...

slo_k20
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
i hate when stuff doesn't fit how you want it to. i almost freaked when i put in my polk db components cause it didnt fit. i used spacers and longer screws

Chad
06-09-2008, 06:47 PM

If you use MDF you will want to soak it in fiberglass resin to keep it from wicking water and becoming a hella mess. It may be ugly but damn good treated plywood will work in a phenomenal way ;)

EP3driver
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
i hate when stuff doesn't fit how you want it to. i almost freaked when i put in my polk db components cause it didnt fit. i used spacers and longer screws

I had a EG hatch before and it was a piece of cake to replace speakers in that thing...not anymore.

EP3driver
06-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I had a EG hatch before and it was a piece of cake to replace speakers in that thing...not anymore.

I got a ring and cut 1/2" on lower corner on left side of the door hole and was able to get the speaker mounted on one side. For the other side, I am going to cut out the OEM speaker from its plastic bracket and see if I fit the new speaker inside it, and then we will see if it can be mounted that way. If it fits, I will use epoxy around the edge to secure the new speaker. If not, I can alwaysdo what I did for the other door.

rolldic
06-12-2008, 01:13 AM
heres a solution: dont use your radio, just buy a boombox and put it in your back seat

mr-alternative
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm fvckn pissed off now, my auto window up or down does not work anymore after I put the door panel back on. son of a bitch

a) window ecu have to re-learn automatic mode
b) some other reasons why does not works:
do you may activate the 3d switch, which blocks the PWs, so they couldn't go up or down
check your fuses for PW (under steeringwheel near footweell)

EP3driver
06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
a) window ecu have to re-learn automatic mode
b) some other reasons why does not works:
do you may activate the 3d switch, which blocks the PWs, so they couldn't go up or down
check your fuses for PW (under steeringwheel near footweell)

It's all good, see my previous post below.
Thanks!

shanewdude
06-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I used MDF to make mine. A little silicone between the MDF and the door to act like a gasket and prevent it from loosening. Like Chad said early, do the fiberglass trick. I didn't and now I think I need to check mine! Thanks, Chad!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/frontspeaker.jpg?t=1213392689
The rears were too thick; I ended up using 1/4" in the end. Here's the thick ones:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/rearspeaker.jpg?t=1213392727

kaisertj
06-14-2008, 12:35 PM
When I made mine, I went to this warehouse that sold sheets of this plastic stuff in all sizes and thicknesses. Was identical in material to those dense plastic kitchen cutting boards. Works well, very durable, waterproof, easy to cut/shape and worked alot better then mdf imo. Or, go to goodwill and get a few of those cutting boards for dirt cheap and cut them up.

shanewdude
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
When I made mine, I went to this warehouse that sold sheets of this plastic stuff in all sizes and thicknesses. Was identical in material to those dense plastic kitchen cutting boards. Works well, very durable, waterproof, easy to cut/shape and worked alot better then mdf imo. Or, go to goodwill and get a few of those cutting boards for dirt cheap and cut them up.

Dude, I second that idea! I might even switch mine over. You might find the slippery white plastic is called UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight). It's also used in industry as wear-bar material for conveyors to ride on. Great idea, kaisertj!

siver-SI
06-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I have your speakers and I had to get the spacer for them to fit.

Chad
06-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Oh yeah, cutting board material PWNS MDF! My next rings will be plastic, AND if you slow the router down you can still use your circle jig and router to cut them, If you go too fast wit the bit speed the plastic will goober your bit up :mfrown:

thechromecoyote
06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
2003-2004 Accords use the same front speakers and they sell really thick, firmly fitting brackets on ebay for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Radio-Speaker-Adapter-Honda-Accord-03-04-2003-2004_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el124 7QQcategoryZ38636QQihZ011QQitemZ320040671696QQrdZ1 QQsspagenameZWD1V

I got these to fit my Infinity Kappa series and they were perfect!

dave6riv
06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
i did want to mess around with going out and getting spacers and dynomat, i took the pioneer speaker outline they give you, marked the area,made relief cuts in the metal, rounded it back, threw on some cardboard cut to shape and mounted the speaker. they work perfect. if i take my door off again ill take pictures. took about hour and a half.