PDA

View Full Version : Bad Gas Mileage

Canuck Civic
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
My Gas Mileage is bad its 22mpg anything to do to help it maybe a new fuel filter or what I don't romp on it either.

4angrybadgers
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
We're gonna need a lot more info besides "I don't romp on it". Mods? Maintenance? Oil used? Gas used? Current miles on the car?

Canuck Civic
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
The wheels please say yes cause I have a buyer for those and will get works then. Plus I have a sri intake and evo2 exhaust thats what I did and rear sway bar otherwise the wheels and springs were on the car when I bought it. My old golf gets better mileage then this.

sleepy_ep
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
put new plugs in and get a fresh tune.

:hungry:

humpmasterflex
06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Dude that sucks... I averaged like 27-28 mpg on the tank... and i thought that was bad. Then the other day my yellow light didn't turn on until 360 miles on the tank. Which was a pretty positive feeling considering on average my light turned on anywhere between 270-300 miles.

So I didn't put gas in until like 380... i did the math and it was 34 mpg.... I was happy as fuck.!

So... what made me go from 27 mpg to 34 mpg you may ask. Cruise controlling at 60 mph on the highway... and shifting at 3.5k.... and take it slowly to 3.5k before shifting. Now you don't want to shift under that just because of the torque curve... if you shift any lower than 3.5 k, you engine is kind of choking... not literally... but it has to "struggle more" to accelerate... therefore less gas mileage!

Tnhatch03
06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
put new plugs in

^ that and if you have a CEL and it is your "o2" sensor, that would cause a decrease in mpg.

Riv Civ
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Dude that sucks... I averaged like 27-28 mpg on the tank... and i thought that was bad. Then the other day my yellow light didn't turn on until 360 miles on the tank. Which was a pretty positive feeling considering on average my light turned on anywhere between 270-300 miles.

So I didn't put gas in until like 380... i did the math and it was 34 mpg.... I was happy as fuck.!

So... what made me go from 27 mpg to 34 mpg you may ask. Cruise controlling at 60 mph on the highway... and shifting at 3.5k.... and take it slowly to 3.5k before shifting. Now you don't want to shift under that just because of the torque curve... if you shift any lower than 3.5 k, you engine is kind of choking... not literally... but it has to "struggle more" to accelerate... therefore less gas mileage!

Awesome! Also, the summer blend for gasoline gives you better mileage. Driving the same as always my avg went from 29 to 31. :mbiggrin:

Canuck Civic
06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll order new plugs when I put an order in for my shifter bushings. No CEL though but ya the rims could be the culprit to. Whatever I'll live with it not driving much right now so doesn't cost to much.

P.S. We are talking city mileage here not highway right

SiR R8TD
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Correct. If you apply high load to the motor by shifting at low rpm's, your mileage will suffer. If you had KPRO you'd be able to see just how high engine load can be when a motor is bogging down. Drive at an engine speed which allows the engine to operate smoothly, your mileage will increase. 3.5-4k is a good zone to be in.

sleepy_ep
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll order new plugs when I put an order in for my shifter bushings. No CEL though but ya the rims could be the culprit to. Whatever I'll live with it not driving much right now so doesn't cost to much.

P.S. We are talking city mileage here not highway right

city driving ftl..

Here is what you should do:

new plugs
Clean injectors
Sythetic Oil change
new OHHHHH2 sensor
lighter wheels
shift at correct rpms: around 3500

things to experiment with:

kpro (with a gas milage tune of course)
Higher octane gas
new fuel pump
CAI

thats my method of solving gas milage..

:peace:

na14yu
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I've put 50k miles on the EP and I almost always get 29 MPG with about 80% freeway, 20% city driving.

With the mixed driving and stop & go commutes, my average speed for every fill up is around 45 miles per hour.

Canuck Civic
06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I changed every fluid except brake when I bought it. I ran some injector cleaner through it also. I will definitely get new plugs and if I have money a new o2 sensor just the primary one or replace both?

Also is it better to save up and not be without a car and just pay more to get kpro on a new ECU. Kpro will void any warranty or if I swap ecu's back and forth they can't tell right.

sleepy_ep
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I changed every fluid except brake when I bought it. I ran some injector cleaner through it also. I will definitely get new plugs and if I have money a new o2 sensor just the primary one or replace both?

Also is it better to save up and not be without a car and just pay more to get kpro on a new ECU. Kpro will void any warranty or if I swap ecu's back and forth they can't tell right.

good stuff

oh and that last paragraph is making my head spin haha

yes save up and buy kpro

RTE117
06-09-2008, 08:53 PM
My MPG story:

My EP3 was, and still is, in great condition when I bought it. BUT, the gas mileage wasn't there. I routinely got 23-24 MPG, mostly city. I don't beat on the car like a rice boy either.

I did maintenance: OE plugs, filter, alignment, tires; additivies: Neutra 151 and Regaine; brakes (were dragging a bit); and tried to keep off the throttle a little more and then got 30 MPG, mostly city. I've done this repeatedly.

Then I tried my own form of hypermiling just for a while and averaged 34 MPG, mostly city.

I've noticed tho, that when I do mostly highway trips, my MPG stays the same. I contribute it to higher speeds and shorter gears..

dann_04
06-09-2008, 10:13 PM
i was getting 22mpg andturned out i had the cam galling problem to the point that 2 lobes were pretty much gone, got that fixed and the valves done now i get 32+ mpg, so check your cams and valves. Also plugs, shift at 3k, coast to lights and stop signs, and just don't be agressive.

4angrybadgers
06-10-2008, 05:11 AM
You keep saying your "rims" might be the issue, but you still haven't said what wheels you have.

And before you drop almost a grand on Kpro, check all your regular maintenance items first. I don't care how good your tune is, if your car runs like crap then you will get crap gas mileage.

Also, sit down and really think about whether you want to spend money on Kpro just to eke out a little more gas mileage...

na14yu
06-10-2008, 07:22 AM
:amen:

Canuck Civic
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
The rims I think are knockoffs they say RTX on them. Isn't Kpro good to have, after the car is paid off a k24 is going in it.
But Kpro will void the warranty not, unless I swap ECU's before I go to the dealership right.

4angrybadgers
06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
We need to know the size and weight of the rims.... The brand doesn't affect mileage, the size and weight do. :mrolleyes:

Kpro is good only if you have mods worth tuning for, and if you're willing to spend the time and money to get it tuned properly. It's not an install-and-forget item like an exhaust.

MugsyTheGr8
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
wheels wont drop your milage down to 22mpg. i get an avg 30mpg with the heavy stock wheels.

519.EP3
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
i had a toilet in my hatch for a week and i got shitty gas milage. lol stupid me

Riv Civ
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
i had a toilet in my hatch for a week and i got shitty gas milage. lol stupid me

When you gotta go, you gotta go!