PDA

View Full Version : A2 Head on A3 Block, anyone??

k_crazy
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
hey guys I need some help for my car. I don't know does this setup is save to do or not, so can you guys give me some opinion??

I had a 2003 Civic Si and I had K20A2 head on hand. I'm planning to swap the head on my A3 Block.

**In addition I will BOOST the car with Jackson Racing SC RACE Kit later on!!

- So, I want to know is this setup up safe to do??

- Anyone do this setup before??

- Can the K20A3 block handle it??

- Will the compression lose??

- What else that I have to play attention on??

- What is the number with Kpro?

I'm really appreciate for eveyone help me out!!!

davisj3537
06-10-2008, 06:02 AM
It is a waste of time...lets leave it at that. I promise. You can't use the power you get from it.

supercivician
06-10-2008, 06:11 AM
sell the a3 and the a2 head and get a k24a1 to go with the sc

talonXracer
06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Welcome to EPhatch, and the search feature will garner you alot of info on this, it has been done before.

The A2 head on a A3 block is a waste if you plan on staying NA, but with boost it is a viable/workable combination. But you will need Kpro for it to run.

The A2 and A3 head have the same exact combustion chamber size, so adding the A2 head onto a A3 will give you the same exact compression ratio as the stock A3 engine.

koftaboy
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH GUYS if there is anything else please updated thankx again

davisj3537
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Holy Shit use punctuation! You jersey boys...if all you want is 250whp then just put a greddy kit on the a3 and call it a day. Make sure it is installed by a reputable mechanic and have fun. That is by far the cheapest way to get the power you want.

kprocivic
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
k20a2 head on a3 block supercharged sounds cool do it.

lldiesel386ll
06-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Holy Shit use punctuation! You jersey boys...if all you want is 250whp then just put a greddy kit on the a3 and call it a day. Make sure it is installed by a reputable mechanic and have fun. That is by far the cheapest way to get the power you want.

hey...i take offense to that:mrolleyes:
:mtongue:
i do agree though--if 250 is all you are looking for a turbo kit of some sort should more than do it. however, i also feel that k20a2 head would pair quite well with a k24 block:mangel:

davisj3537
06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
hey...i take offense to that:mrolleyes:
:mtongue:
i do agree though--if 250 is all you are looking for a turbo kit of some sort should more than do it. however, i also feel that k20a2 head would pair quite well with a k24 block:mangel:

lol. He did say he would rather not swap. A swap plus boost is hella expensive.

lldiesel386ll
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
that is true--i'm just very partial to that route:mtongue:
however, it is all relative i figure. supercharging a k24 frank would yield the op some nice linear numbers, wouldn't it? i don't think that price wise that should get all too out of hand either...

davisj3537
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
that is true--i'm just very partial to that route:mtongue:
however, it is all relative i figure. supercharging a k24 frank would yield the op some nice linear numbers, wouldn't it? i don't think that price wise that should get all too out of hand either...

Oh hell yeah that would make awesome power!However these would be average prices for the most part
1000-k24a1
800-Kpro
500-clutch/fly
600-a2 head
400-dyno tune
1600-used jrsc
2000-labor

7k and that doesn't even include bolt ons. Add in some bolt ons and any other odds and ends and you are sitting just under 10k!!!AGGGHHH!

Deadphishy
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
In would say with the k20a2 head, a jrsc r kit, maybe some low boost cams, and a good exhaust he can get closer to the 250whp mark then most people are giving the a3 bottom end credit for.

Running the bottom end to the blocks limit of 8k will produce some power with an extra psi being pumped in. If he really needs to be pushed over the edge, just put a very small shot of NOS into the intake pipe to super cool the blower. You'll be well over 250, and i would think a small NOS shot for cooling might make it a little more reliable. Just make sure you have k-pro to tune for all of this craziness.

Didn't a 75 shot of nos make like 200whp on the SC k24 over at k20a.org?

LaoKidd2k
06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
i have something close to that setup on my car right now. i have the z1 head on with a mugen headgasket and i just put on my jrsc-r kit 3 weeks ago. right now i am untuned and i love it.

i originally installed the head because of the camshaft pitting that so many people get. so i ofted to get some real vtec. put the head on an got it tune after a couple months and got 172hp to the wheels and that will definately give a smile on your face.
i wanted to go boost for a long time but one member did the head swap with a greddy kit. so i wanted to do the other route. i got the sc after i got my tax return and now i got to wait for next month to get the smaller pulley and tune. if you are gonna boost the eng than this is not bad. you'll spend a little more but when that vtec opens up the sc will pull real hard.

Unknownally
06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't get why the person who did the A2 head swap couldn't use the power. Can someone explain? I read the whole thread about it back in the day but...still don't get it.

The peak power isn't long enough or something?

kprocivic
06-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't get why the person who did the A2 head swap couldn't use the power. Can someone explain? I read the whole thread about it back in the day but...still don't get it.

well the a3 block is suspect in 8000+.

plus a head swap is a in depth thing to complete. it can cost anywhere from 500-1000 for the head and another 200-500 for the install. you can find a k20a2 shortblock for around 1500-2500, or you could wait for those crack head deals and peace one together for the same price as the head swap. i say if your doing the work yourself than go for it, if not make sure you know what your getting into.

LaoKidd2k
06-24-2008, 09:08 PM

everyone says that since to block doesn't have the high compression it won't produce the power. even if you use a lower compression headgasket it won't equal a stock A2. you need the higher compression and the higher redline to utilize the power. the A3 with the A2 head is a disappointment when staying n/a. but when using boost that fills up the void from not having high compression.

Unknownally
06-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone, now I get it. I should have known.

lldiesel386ll
06-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh hell yeah that would make awesome power!However these would be average prices for the most part
1000-k24a1
800-Kpro
500-clutch/fly
600-a2 head
400-dyno tune
1600-used jrsc
2000-labor

7k and that doesn't even include bolt ons. Add in some bolt ons and any other odds and ends and you are sitting just under 10k!!!AGGGHHH!

errrr...who in here doesnt do their own labor:mtongue:
i already assumed the a2 head to be a sunk cost, and i cant say too much about a clutch/fly, as i'm currently using the stock ones with no troubles (again...currently:mbiggrin:)
kpro is already assumed in the setup, since the op is already going for an a2 head, so i would take that as another sunk cost.
that would total to 1000 for the block, 1600 for the jrsc, and 400 for the tune. if you want to add on 500 for the clutch/fly...thats 2500 more for a gob load more hp and torque that would come on in a very linear fashion. i totally agree that that is a hefty sum, but it is also a reasonable number i figure to get that kind of usable power :thumb:
id wait on the clutch and fly, and when that frys, id get myself an lsd and 6th gear put into the transmission, and youd have quite a formidable drivetrain that would yield some pretty decent gas mileage too

lldiesel386ll
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
everyone says that since to block doesn't have the high compression it won't produce the power. even if you use a lower compression headgasket it won't equal a stock A2. you need the higher compression and the higher redline to utilize the power. the A3 with the A2 head is a disappointment when staying n/a. but when using boost that fills up the void from not having high compression.

i actually thought that it was because of our taller gearing, every upshift would put you out of that ideal powerband? someone please correct me if i am wrong. there was stuff about this before the crash, but that may have been lost since then:mfrown:

koftaboy
06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
hey, my friend has a 99 Acura LS. He just got new headers and he's haveing a problem with the oxygen sensor its turning on the engine light on is there a way to bypass it or fix that problem???

thankx guys

davisj3537
06-25-2008, 06:25 AM
i actually thought that it was because of our taller gearing, every upshift would put you out of that ideal powerband? someone please correct me if i am wrong. there was stuff about this before the crash, but that may have been lost since then:mfrown:

Precisely! The a2 head doesn't make good power till higher in the rpm band so when you start making the power it is time to shift...:mfrown
errrr...who in here doesnt do their own labor:mtongue:
i already assumed the a2 head to be a sunk cost, and i cant say too much about a clutch/fly, as i'm currently using the stock ones with no troubles (again...currently:mbiggrin:)
kpro is already assumed in the setup, since the op is already going for an a2 head, so i would take that as another sunk cost.
that would total to 1000 for the block, 1600 for the jrsc, and 400 for the tune. if you want to add on 500 for the clutch/fly...thats 2500 more for a gob load more hp and torque that would come on in a very linear fashion. i totally agree that that is a hefty sum, but it is also a reasonable number i figure to get that kind of usable power :thumb:
id wait on the clutch and fly, and when that frys, id get myself an lsd and 6th gear put into the transmission, and youd have quite a formidable drivetrain that would yield some pretty decent gas mileage too

Not to hate on the OP but I don't think he realizes any sunk costs associated with the a2 head swap. Maybe after a couple months he would catch on but I think he is in the dark at this point.:

davisj3537
06-25-2008, 06:27 AM
well the a3 block is suspect in 8000+.

plus a head swap is a in depth thing to complete. it can cost anywhere from 500-1000 for the head and another 200-500 for the install. you can find a k20a2 shortblock for around 1500-2500, or you could wait for those crack head deals and peace one together for the same price as the head swap. i say if your doing the work yourself than go for it, if not make sure you know what your getting into.

I wanna know where you can get a head swapped for that cheap. Most shops are gonna run about 800.:faint:

Deadphishy
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
all data shows 8.8 hours to replace a head gasket. which includes cleaning up the head and block. ext.

and almost 13 hours to replace a head because they include the machine work to grind valves, and do new seals.

our shop does $70.00 an hour
so 8.8 x 70 = 616 + shop supplies $40.00. your looking at around 700. In michigan we don't tax services either.

davisj3537
06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Don't forget the head decking and head gasket costs.

koftaboy
06-27-2008, 02:18 AM
what would be the best head swap for my A3 block with some mods if i dont wana go for a full swap. look guys am realy sorry i ask to muc h questions in the same matter but am new in this stuff so please just help me if you can thankx alooooot

kprocivic
06-27-2008, 03:08 AM
I wanna know where you can get a head swapped for that cheap. Most shops are gonna run about 800.:faint:

clubrsx backyard mechanic.

Deadphishy
06-27-2008, 05:55 AM
what would be the best head swap for my A3 block with some mods if i dont wana go for a full swap. look guys am realy sorry i ask to muc h questions in the same matter but am new in this stuff so please just help me if you can thankx alooooot

Its not that you ask to many questions thats what a forum is all about. It's just that this information is out there, on this site, on other honda sites, it's all over the internet and pretty easy to find. Unless you can do most of the work yourself a head swap of any kind won't be worth it. If your looking for power you have to get k-pro. thats $1000.00 from there you can get a used supercharger for around $1600 then get it tuned for 500. So your still looking at over 2 grand. just to make a little over 200whp. To get to high you'll need a good head $500-800, a good cat-back $500, intake $200, and more then likely a clutch/flywheel $500. your up to 4k.

So do some research, find out if its the road you want to take.

davisj3537
06-27-2008, 06:05 AM
clubrsx backyard mechanic.

I am a clubrsx backyard mechanic.lol.:mconfused:I do a good portion of the crsx work in DFW.

lldiesel386ll
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I am a clubrsx backyard mechanic.lol.:mconfused:I do a good portion of the crsx work in DFW.

backyard mechanics ftw!:mbiggrin:

koftaboy
06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
thank you sooooo much Deadphishy for your help

LaoKidd2k
06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
here a swap:http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43265

koftaboy
06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
what would be the best head swap for my A3 block with some mods like KPRO ETC....

kprocivic
06-29-2008, 09:41 PM
what would be the best head swap for my A3 block with some mods like KPRO ETC....

k24a1

lonestar
07-12-2008, 12:34 PM
its an alrite swap....my friend put on a z1 head on the a3 block and it was pulling on s2000's at least 2 car lengths......he's boosted now and it pull very nice dont know the exact numbers i'll find out and post them

koftaboy
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM
k24a1

would i have hard time swaping a K24a2??? plus is it true that the A2 is better then the A1????