PDA

View Full Version : HFP spoiler light

ostrified
06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I just bought and installed a HFP wing i got used from a member here. However, I noticed that the taillight lense color isn't as red as i thought it would be..it's more on a red-pinkish side..is there anyway to fix this to make the lense colors match?

Chad
06-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Odd, mine is REALLY red, just like the tail lights.

2 options,

1 Remove it and replace it, it is an assembly, all lamps are internal, you can't replace the LED's, the assembly is available albeit I have no idea on cost.

2 Remove it and Dye it like many do to the 04/05 tail lamps, if you search for that you should find what goods you need, or someone may just pop in soon with your answer.

bunk
06-10-2008, 08:40 AM
you sure it's not a replica?

EPSpeedKing
06-10-2008, 09:57 AM
^^
Yeah that, u have a pic?

talonXracer
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Probably a replica rear wing, HFP style....

Princess
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
My guess is that's it's a replica.

you could always unplug the light and use the stock 3rd brake light instead?

or you could always go without a 3rd brakelight.... but that's not legal....but chances are police won't notice, and if they do tell them it is something you never noticed before and that's the way it was when you bought your car used

bunk
06-10-2008, 01:05 PM
My guess is that's it's a replica.

you could always unplug the light and use the stock 3rd brake light instead?

or you could always go without a 3rd brakelight.... but that's not legal....but chances are police won't notice, and if they do tell them it is something you never noticed before and that's the way it was when you bought your car used

Yeah but it would still be pinkish. Also, I think the HFP wing blocks most of the OEM brake light (if not all of it) but I could be wrong.

Princess
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
... I think the HFP wing blocks most of the OEM brake light (if not all of it) but I could be wrong.

I think you are right. I wonder how it would look using the stock brake light with a HFP or HFP replica wing. It might look ok, it might look horrible, never seen it done before.

civictype_r04
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Replica man.

Kodeen
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Are you able to remove the plastic cover? See if you can get some Van's tail spray to make it a darker red.

shanewdude
06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't think it's illegal to drive without the high-mount brake-light, as long as you have the tails.
Check out the DIY on dying sidemarkers... you may want to try dying your lens.

Just got a call from a buddy of mine who is OPP... you are NOT breaking the law... you only need ONE light on the back indicating brakes.

ostrified
06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
excuse the dirtyness..it's been raining like ass in toronto lately

the light is wired up and working, its just a matter of it being a different shade of red.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/ostrified/Light2-1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/ostrified/Light1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/ostrified/Light3-1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/ostrified/Light4-1.jpg

Chad
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Does it labled as a HONDA at the top of the lamp assembly? I checked mine and it is, if not it may be a different wing or a replacement lamp assembly.

EPSpeedKing
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
From the pics, I'd say its a ctr/hfp replica. First the color don't match the rest of the car, unless you had the car painted before. Second, the brake light on the spoiler looks like its already been dyed before.

Canuck Civic
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a rep ctr wing but it matches the car perfect. Maybe it was one from spoilerdepot I heard people say their brake lamp faded.

I got mine from showstoppers and went to a body shop in town to get it matched.

thechromecoyote
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
another option is a red out tint. You can get it on ebay, Cars with clear tailights use it to make them red.

Its longer lasting than dye.

Princess
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Here in California a third brake light is mandatory on all new cars. If you have an old car before the law was enacted then you don't have to add a third brake light unless you want to. Lucky for you it doesn't matter.

You could disconnect the light and paint that red part black. no matter what method you choose the color of the light coming from your spoiler is not going to match your tails. You could sell the spoiler. Or you could tint the red part black.... sort of a blackout look. So you can still see the light coming through there, but it would be more subtle. Or you could have bodywork done to fill the hole then repaint the rear spoiler.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

ostrified
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
thanks for the help guys!..i ended up buying some spray paint and clear coat. It looks alot better now..not matching exactly but it's definitely a lot more redder then it was before. Will post pictures after my progress 22mm install.