PDA

View Full Version : i finished my swap! :no pics yet sorry:

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 09:52 AM
PICS ARE IN :mbiggrin:

after trying to acquire parts for the good part of a year, i can finally say that i swapped my engine!:mbiggrin: heres what i got

k24a1 block, k20a2 head, a2 oil pump, z3 chain guide
rbc im, injen sp1576 cai
kpro of course

stock transmission...? no wait!:mtongue:
tsx 6th gear added on, obx lsd

the best part of it all is that i can say i did all the work myself--yes including that bloody transmission (bearing pressing and all). it is amazingly satisfying to know i got my hands dirty there. :thumb:

some notes:
-if you plan on doing this yourself, leave a good week or so of free time to have everything done (ie the engine and transmission are put together)--things you already have will break, and the unexpected always happens.
-having a laptop nearby would be amazing--any troubles you come across can immediately be searched for here or at k20a.org :thumb: 99% of them will be found on a thread already made...so the search button is your friend :mcool:
-pictures, labels, and a buttload of zip lock bags to keep everything organized would save you a world of time, but thats already implied

acknowledgements:
over here id like to thank davis for his k24 diy and doug for his countless insightful threads--without them id be shooting in the dark figuring out what im doing. i appreciate all the work mike at elite tuning is doing for me, and more than anything i appreciate the patience he's had with how long this damn things been taking:mtongue:
i would also like to thank my friends andy, joe, rich, and erik for the helping hands/experience they provided in this whole experience.
i am sure there are plenty more people that i need to thank, but im running on such a high of having it completed

EDIT
some pics. sorry for the lack of anything comprehensive--my hands were relatively full for the whole thing, and my friend that basically hung out the entire time was too big an idiot to take any pictures unless i said anything

the k24a1
http://lh4.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHBVeIQzZWI/AAAAAAAAACQ/e-FrA3rILNQ/P1010925.JPG?imgmax=512

my empty engine bay
http://lh6.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxV4xyQKI/AAAAAAAAADA/ulVJj-a4Ftk/P1020219.JPG?imgmax=512

my countershaft with the tsx 6th gear
http://lh6.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxbCUNpdI/AAAAAAAAADg/4rVrt_xgE7g/P1020227.JPG?imgmax=512

my mainshaft with the tsx 6th gear
http://lh5.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxbRt_kTI/AAAAAAAAADs/ZRV-J30c4uo/P1020228.JPG?imgmax=512

my office :mtongue:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxeHvv7wI/AAAAAAAAAE0/ryHtbCCcze8/P1020235.JPG?imgmax=512

another angle
http://lh4.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxfOcTbCI/AAAAAAAAAFE/cLx3Cszx8BM/P1020237.JPG?imgmax=512

transmission being put together (massive pain in the ass)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxgfrU2HI/AAAAAAAAAFc/dR_VFEsC_2Q/P1020240.JPG?imgmax=512

she's in :mbiggrin:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxiHeLNzI/AAAAAAAAAF0/aTYkwi1Drhs/P1020254.JPG?imgmax=512

it was so nice to see my parent's garage after all of this
http://lh3.ggpht.com/jamie.wongbandue/SHDxitHI3OI/AAAAAAAAAF8/KM6DGAgi3L0/P1020255.JPG?imgmax=512

i may have a couple other pictures of my header and exhaust on my phone in addition to others--i'll get those up in due time as well :thumbu:

Gilmour
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
the best part of it all is that i can say i did all the work myself--yes including that bloody transmission (bearing pressing and all). it is amazingly satisfying to know i got my hands dirty there. :thumb:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Its so much more enjoyable that way.

Great job.

Princess
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
awesome!

JP_909
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
nice!!! your going to love the power!!!!

davisj3537
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Great news! You are gonna love your new tq monster;)

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
lol i definitely do. acceleration characteristics are the same as the old engine, only now it doesnt stop...its awesome:madgrin:

02nhbpep3
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Awesome man, I'm doing my K24a1 swap next week.

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
have fun dude...torque is an amazing thing :thumb:
i can't wait for the bcrh and exhaust to come in!

DericSh
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
dude you pretty much have the same exact setup i want except without the tranny stuff. do you think i would be unhappy with just the five speed?

PAPITUYO326
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Very similar setup to what I am running. Nicely done. Nothing like the satisfaction and bloody hands that comes with doing the work yourself.

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 08:40 PM
dude you pretty much have the same exact setup i want except without the tranny stuff. do you think i would be unhappy with just the five speed?

not at all, and im sure you'll find yourself very happy with five gears...however i am finding myself getting to triple digit speeds way too easily... i'm finding that 6th gear quite useful to avoid that drone that goes along with those speeds:mtongue:

Very similar setup to what I am running. Nicely done. Nothing like the satisfaction and bloody hands that comes with doing the work yourself.

and knowing that i finally got my friggen hands bloody and dirty after four years of engineering...you know what im talking about dude...no hands on experience until those last two semesters:mredface:

Slip_Angle
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Lots of people joining the big block club! :mtongue:

PAPI: Why did you go from k24a2 to k24a1 + k20z3? Does it have more potential? What about the internals, are they as strong as the k24a2?

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Lots of people joining the big block club! :mtongue:

hell yes! its a shame that all this work now puts me in sm2, against some ridiculous competition :mfrown:...too bad i only realized how much that sucks just recently when i saw my friend auto-x for the first time a couple weeks ago:mcry:

oh well i guess :thumb:

PAPITUYO326
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I switched motors mainly because I was planning a 400 hp turbo setup. The k24a1 takes boost alot better in stock form than the k24a2. I scrapped the idea after I had already selling my k24a2. Decided to do a K-EF build and keep the EP relatively mild. I managed to get some nice N/A upgrades to go along with the k24a1.

They both have the same potential IMO. The k20z3 head>k24a2 head, but the k24a2 block >k24a1 block (stock for stock). It evens out.

clujalolo
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
im planning on this this exact setup....once i finish school which in a month and a half. cant wait :D

but how does it feel, does it pull much harder than the k20a3....obviously it does but is it a very big differnece, and what is the top end like?

I really wanna see some vids, SOMEONE get some k20/k24 vids up PLZ!!!

lldiesel386ll
06-11-2008, 09:13 PM
the difference is definitely noticeable. although i have not yet gotten to work with mike for a proper tune, the pull comes in a very predictable fashion--it feels like what the a3 should've felt like :mbiggrin:...a bit more peppy lol
can anyone else chime in? i dont know how to describe it, because this is the first time ive actually driven a peppy na fwd car (i dont want to say high, because the vicinity of 200 doesn't seem all too high anymore with today's newer engines)

2004ep3hatch
06-11-2008, 10:13 PM
i will say to your swap, take out the rbc and put back the stock a3 IM and put your stock muffler on. you will see a another big difference like i did! jeff evens told me the rbc is no good for these motors becuse you don't take advantage of it unless you reving about 8,000rpm.

i was going to get a rbc, instead it would be best to get a prc i believe it is called or a TSX IM. im just going to add a power plenum to my a3 im.

id like to see the actual difference with it since you have it on.

lldiesel386ll
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
i will say to your swap, take out the rbc and put back the stock a3 IM and put your stock muffler on. you will see a another big difference like i did! jeff evens told me the rbc is no good for these motors becuse you don't take advantage of it unless you reving about 8,000rpm.

i was going to get a rbc, instead it would be best to get a prc i believe it is called or a TSX IM. im just going to add a power plenum to my a3 im.

id like to see the actual difference with it since you have it on.

you're right--from what i understand the tsx im would definitely be the most beneficial towards my setup for the mid range. the rbc was more of an impulse buy, waiting on the rest of my parts (im not going to lie about it:mtongue:). wouldnt the added necessary air of the extra .4 liters still make the rbc beneficial in my setup? what about with the incoming header and exhaust i am waiting for? i've been busy, so i haven't had the time to read in on proper runner lengths and plenum sizes and so on and so forth. any input would be appreciated, as id hate to try to take that manifod off--it was quite a pain in the ass to fit in lol

2004ep3hatch
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
the bcrh i herd is very good but the springs that hold the pipe that goes to the midpipe breaks sometimes without notice. its a nice peice tho. with the exhust. i had a hks and when i put my new motor in the midpipe hit the floor. i just made a custom 2 1/2 exhaust using my stock muffler. its quiet and give me better torque curve. i went with the bigger piping and then added my stock more restrictive muffler to balance it out.

works well. just sell your rbc. the rbc in our application may even make you lose power. from what i was explained, the runners are supposed to be long for us 2.4 people. that power plenum will do that job to me a3 IM. i would just do that. the tsx need mods because of DBW setup. thats all i can think of now! :mbiggrin:

Slip_Angle
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I switched motors mainly because I was planning a 400 hp turbo setup. The k24a1 takes boost alot better in stock form than the k24a2. I scrapped the idea after I had already selling my k24a2. Decided to do a K-EF build and keep the EP relatively mild. I managed to get some nice N/A upgrades to go along with the k24a1.

They both have the same potential IMO. The k20z3 head>k24a2 head, but the k24a2 block >k24a1 block (stock for stock). It evens out.

IC. I really need to get dyno'd to see what kinda power I'm making.... I have a 2.5 inch custom exhaust with the stock muffler and a shorty HP header and the TSX IM. Feels great. I would like to find a long tube header with cat but really have no idea who makes one and if it would fit my setup. (k24a2 + Progress front sway)

The ITR factory header looks appealing but finding one is probably not gonna happen. Any advise? I do want to keep a cat and keep things quiet.

I also wonder if the stock muffler is holding things back much...

2004ep3hatch
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
IC. I really need to get dyno'd to see what kinda power I'm making.... I have a 2.5 inch custom exhaust with the stock muffler and a shorty HP header and the TSX IM. Feels great. I would like to find a long tube header with cat but really have no idea who makes one and if it would fit my setup. (k24a2 + Progress front sway)

The ITR factory header looks appealing but finding one is probably not gonna happen. Any advise? I do want to keep a cat and keep things quiet.

i have almost the exact exhaust setup, 2 1/2 custom piping with stock muffler. man i say keep it on. my car woke up when i put it on. thats for sure. how did you get the txs mani to work properly. i know it has to be modded.

Slip_Angle
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
i have almost the exact exhaust setup, 2 1/2 custom piping with stock muffler. man i say keep it on. my car woke up when i put it on. thats for sure. how did you get the txs mani to work properly. i know it has to be modded.

Ya..It works really good now and I just know if I change the muffler I will hate the noise... I think your right... Unless I find a long tube header with cat, I'll probably just keep it the way it is...

I guess I'm just looking for something to mod..:mangel:

The TSX manifold just needs a karcepts adapter. It already incorporates the water port so it's perfect really. When I switched from the PRB manifold to the TSX manifold there was a really big jump in torque and the top end never changed. I really love it.

2004ep3hatch
06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Ya..It works really good now and I just know if I change the muffler I will hate the noise... I think your right... Unless I find a long tube header with cat, I'll probably just keep it the way it is...

I guess I'm just looking for something to mod..:mangel:

The TSX manifold just needs a karcepts adapter. It already incorporates the water port so it's perfect really. When I switched from the PRB manifold to the TSX manifold there was a really big jump in torque and the top end never changed. I really love it.

hmmm, would you know where i could get one cheap? tsx mani? i was thinking of getting a power plenum for my a3 im to mimic it so i dont know now..

Slip_Angle
06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
hmmm, would you know where i could get one cheap? tsx mani? i was thinking of getting a power plenum for my a3 im to mimic it so i dont know now..

Maybe on k20a.org... Also, if you email Brian at Karcepts, he may have a line on one. He is extremely helpful.

http://www.karcepts.com/

2004ep3hatch
06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Maybe on k20a.org... Also, if you email Brian at Karcepts, he may have a line on one. He is extremely helpful.

ok will do. thanks alot!

lldiesel386ll
06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
ok...just throwing it out there, but don't the new si's have an 8000 rpm redline? if they only make power outside of that, why would they place it on the car?
i don't doubt anyone's remarks, and if i knew that the tsx im would fit our cars, i probably wouldve gotten one:mtongue:, but i would like more elaboration on the fact that that im wouldnt make power past 7000--i would love to do some summer research reading:mbiggrin: (yes im a dork:mtongue:)

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 02:44 PM
With the rbc you will lose some tq and gain some responsiveness from my understanding. I rocked out the ep IM and the rbc and personally like the rbc better. I pulled an extra 1/2 car on my buddy after swapping the IM out for the rbc(several races before and after from a roll with same outcome before and after swap). If you are boosting then get the rbc since you wont need as much tq(you'll have traction problems anyway). All around though the tsx is gonna be the best although I've never tried it. Tsx manifold only needs the karcepts adapter and it is ready to bolt up:msmile:

PAPITUYO326
06-14-2008, 02:51 PM

You could always save up and have SSR (six sigma racing) make you a custom header. they make great stuff. I had one a while back. Doug has one fitted with a custom cat too. Really quality pieces.

clujalolo
06-14-2008, 04:59 PM
any vids? i wanna see i wanna see! lol, so many people do this swap but post NO vids, you gotta show off the goods.

lldiesel386ll
06-14-2008, 05:01 PM
in due time i will try to post pics and vids...right now im taking summer classes, and im a bit tied up. i should be able to put something up around july 4th. sorry:mcry:

clujalolo
06-14-2008, 05:23 PM
in due time i will try to post pics and vids...right now im taking summer classes, and im a bit tied up. i should be able to put something up around july 4th. sorry:mcry:

:mfrown: alright....lol its no problem i just wanna see what a k24/k20 ep is like

lldiesel386ll
06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
if you're ever around rutgers im a very friendly individual...i can show you around:mcool:
but yeah if not ill try to around july-ish...lol

2004ep3hatch
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM

ok, which one lol. theres 4 of them. 2 regular and 2 70mm. each with a waterport option.

bchaney
06-14-2008, 09:49 PM
and knowing that i finally got my friggen hands bloody and dirty after four years of engineering...you know what im talking about dude...no hands on experience until those last two semesters:mredface:

First, congrats. You have a sweet setup.

I've been planning a build for a while but the 100% DIY is intimidating. Have you done anything like this before? I have an engineering degree too but have never done auto engine/tranny work.

lldiesel386ll
06-14-2008, 11:20 PM
First, congrats. You have a sweet setup.

I've been planning a build for a while but the 100% DIY is intimidating. Have you done anything like this before? I have an engineering degree too but have never done auto engine/tranny work.

thank you
i should have an engineering degree this upcoming fall (whoohoo mechanical, biomechanics concentration!:mtongue:), and a good set of tools, preferably air tools (a must for transmission work i'd say), a cherry picker, a hydraulic press, a jack, and stands should all suffice. the service manual is a must, and if you have some competent friends, that would be very helpful in taking the engine in and out without breaking anything. i found it a very enlightening experience--something that taught me more than any 400 level ice course would teach me. (well thats wrong, as building that engine would not have taught me those bloody thermodynamic tables lol) good luck if you bite the bullet! :thumb:

Slip_Angle
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
You could always save up and have SSR (six sigma racing) make you a custom header. they make great stuff. I had one a while back. Doug has one fitted with a custom cat too. Really quality pieces.

Can they do this without having my car? What kinda price would I be looking at?

clujalolo
06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Can they do this without having my car? What kinda price would I be looking at?

i would think they are able to do it without your car, they make many of them and so they probably have a reference to go by. and the ssr header i would say its about the same price as the hytech one so around 1000.

lldiesel386ll
06-16-2008, 05:45 AM
ssr quoted me a price for a k24 header at around 1200 shipped :thumb:
as much as i would have loved to have one of those on my car, my college student budget laughed right at my face:rofl:

lldiesel386ll
07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
EDIT

pics are finally up! see post #1:mcool:

shadowmd
07-06-2008, 10:10 AM
pics no worky :mcry:

lldiesel386ll
07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
how about now? should be okay i think:mcry:

shadowmd
07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
yea they work now :mcool:

neoamd
05-27-2011, 03:19 AM
Nice build.

lldiesel386ll
05-27-2011, 06:25 AM
lol thanks josh. i pretty much neglected this thread after putting the engine together--i think all my updates are on my members ride thread. i guess if i ever find time to clean up my engine bay ill have something to show, but my house is taking up most of my time. i'll make updates at my nearest opportunity :thumbu:

ginger
05-30-2011, 09:58 AM
nice swap, years later... hows it running still? i love my swap, im k20a2 all the way, thinking bout k24 bottom end, but i like the 9k red line too much...