PDA

View Full Version : rumbling while braking..?

parkjehhyun
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
i was driving at about 45 or so on local and noticed that my steering wheel as well as most of the chassis would start to rumble and shake slightly while braking relatively gently. it's been a few days since and it's still happening.

i just need new brake pads, right? or is there some deeper-rooted problem?

silver hatch
06-11-2008, 10:46 PM
i was driving at about 45 or so on local and noticed that my steering wheel as well as most of the chassis would start to rumble and shake slightly while braking relatively gently. it's been a few days since and it's still happening.

i just need new brake pads, right? or is there some deeper-rooted problem?

Probably just the brake pads. I'm changing mine this weekend because the same thing's happening to me. To know for sure, you should also hear like a screetching sound wile cruising every so often. Thats when the pads are worn down to the point that there will be contact with the disks and the metal clips on the pads to indicate that it's time to change them.

parkjehhyun
06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
okay good. i haven't heard any screetching yet but i do plan on changing them myself soon. just wondering, do you know if theres a DIY here for that? i'm going to search but if you got a link then share it =]

silver hatch
06-11-2008, 10:58 PM
okay good. i haven't heard any screetching yet but i do plan on changing them myself soon. just wondering, do you know if theres a DIY here for that? i'm going to search but if you got a link then share it =]

It's easy for the front. Just take out the bolt on the bottom, while using a wrench to stop the other side from spinning, and just flip up the caliper, exposing the pads. In the rear you have to actually take off the whole caliper (more work).

vicx52o
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
your rotors might be warped..
my car does something similar but it only happens when i slow down from 60+ mph.

parkjehhyun
06-12-2008, 02:19 AM
awww i was hoping it wasn't the rotors.

well actually.. i'm just going to get some new brake pads & see if i still have the problem.

can anyone suggest some decent brake pads?

dichotomous
06-12-2008, 07:21 AM
read on here the recent rotor warping thread, it doesnt seem likely thats the cause....

as for pads, I'm using duralast gold ceramics from autozone and they stop really very nicely, only $35 for the front set too

RedSiBaron
06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
mine did this for like a week and went away, i figured it was a warped rotor back then, but it went away so i stopped worrying about it :noidea:

jtyler05si
06-12-2008, 07:34 AM
anybody know how long (miles) their stock brakes lasted?

Blackexcoupe
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM
anybody know how long (miles) their stock brakes lasted?How long a brake pad last is very dependent on the drivers habits.

jtyler05si
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
alright how about an average amount for 50% highway/ 50% street driving by an average driver who downshifts often. also no racing, street,track,etc..
what else...
i think that should do.
end with a ?

parkjehhyun
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
haha i'm still pretty sure that's very dependant on the driver as well. i think if anyone gave you a number, it'd be completely random or based off of their own personal averages (which is likely to be useless since so many other conditions apply; road conditions, driver habits, weather, etc.)

just do what i did..

wait until your brakes start rumbling! i noticed that the rumbling initially evolved after i had to make a sudden quick stop from 65+ down to 0 on a crowded freeway because of an accident. i'd been driving for a while that time and i'm pretty sure the brakes were heated and basically got worn down right there.

anyway i'm going to get myself some new front brake pads but i'm still pretty clueless what brand to get. should i just go back to stock?

jtyler05si
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
i understand...but i was just wondering about when that happens; before 100k, after 100k....i dont need 33,567 miles...

fyi i have 40,000. average everthing. every kind of weather changing all the time...easy on brakes for the most part...enjoy downshifting...

ball park people...come on some one throw out a number they experienced....

oh and i plan to put on stock pads when i do change....i like them alot.

parkjehhyun
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
i've changed them twice since i got my car new. since im at about 69,xxx right now, i'd just split the difference and say about 34,500 miles/set or brake pads. haha but that's just for me.

Dorachagi
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
just had mine changed at 35k miles

silver hatch
06-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I had to change my stock pads at ~40k mi. The rears now need to be changed @50k. It's best to change the f & r at the same time I learned.

tech9
06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
im almost for certain its your rotors. i had them resurfaced because it was caught early and there wasnt too much damage. my pads were thinning really bad too so i had them swapped out for new oem ones. after that, no more rumbling.

i had the same rumbling problem as you, hopefully you can just resurface them. its cheaper and usually shops can do it on the spot.

v1c10us
06-20-2008, 12:55 PM
something like that could be as simple as needing an alignment..
typically pad wear doesnt cause shaking unless it has caused your rotors to warp as well..
replacing the pads on warped rotors wont do anything, and it will ruin your new pads.
un even tire wear can also cause this.
I had HORRIBLE shaking in my old accord for a while when braking, got new tires and an alignment and everything was perfect again..
look into the wear on your tires, see if the middle and outsides are worn the same on all four tires, make sure they are all at the same pressures as well.