PDA

View Full Version : Fixing ripped motor mounts?

headaike
06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
any one have a DIY on this?

Da90Ls
06-13-2008, 05:05 AM
If I remember this correctly try this. I got it off of G2IC.com and did it on my 90 LS when I had a ripped mount.

Materials needed:

Clear windshield silicone
plastic bag or sandwich baggy

Steps:

Take the ripped mount off the vehicle

place it n the plastic bag

Fill the entire empty space of the motor mount with the clear silicone ( except where the bolt goes through)

allow to dry

reinstall

If I am correct the window silicone is a homemade version of the motor mount inserts and it does work just as well as them.

Sorry for the lack of pics and detail but its pretty much self explaining and really simple.

oogy-boogy
06-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Orrrrrrrrrr.....

Just buy a set of ES motor mount inserts.

talonXracer
06-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Clear silicon is really crappy for this application, the one and only material for doing this is WindoWeld by 3m. The mount needs to be completely clean and free of contaminants. Apply a small amount of WW into the crack/rip, allow to cure for an hour or so. Now add WW in layers untill it is completely filled, allowing some time between layers. Then let it sit for a few days in the sun to fully cure. Useing the mount before it is fully cured will cause internal rips/shearing to occur.

Or as Mel said, add a set of ESmm inserts(this is exactly what they were designed for....)

Da90Ls
06-13-2008, 07:51 AM
window weld! Its been awhile since I did it. I forgot what exactly It was called.

mustclime
06-13-2008, 08:07 AM
.......I just bought 60a mounts.....:mrolleyes:

02JDMEP3
06-14-2008, 02:00 AM
what part of canada do you live in? If you are in vancouver, you could make a trip to seattle and I can help you with it. =D

squeak04si
06-14-2008, 07:14 AM
what are the symptoms of a ripped motor mount?

headaike
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
i thought i saw a DIY here on ephatch before but I cant find it.

what are the symptoms of a ripped motor mount?
Im not sure but I get this squeaking noise when i shift on gear 1, 2 and 3 ( this is not the steering rack problem cuz I dont feel it on my steering wheel and the steering rack issue sounds different.)

with a help of a friend, I also tried running the car under 200 rpms on 1st gear when the motor is about to bog down while pressing on the brakes so the car doesnt move and I can hear this squeking sound when the motor rocks back and forth.

I still havent got a chance to take a closer look of the motor mounts. I dont have time right now to take them off the car. I read somewhere here that they are pain in the ass to remove.

what part of canada do you live in? If you are in vancouver, you could make a trip to seattle and I can help you with it. =D