PDA

View Full Version : to swap the k24a1 in now or do it later?

nos4mao
06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm 18... getting ready to go off to college... should I invest in this swap or wait till I'm done with college?... I wanna do this swap soo bad.. its not even funny!!!...lol. What should I do?

Thanks,
Matt

playap07
06-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm 18... getting ready to go off to college... should I invest in this swap or wait till I'm done with college?... I wanna do this swap soo bad.. its not even funny!!!...lol. What should I do?

Thanks,
Matt

ay man.......do you have enough money to get through college???? if not nope keep the engine on your wish list buddy boi! if you can support your self while throwing down the cash to get this bad boi then its not even worth it! holla at papi he got the prices on the goods! if you can spare that guap you can get it!

thechromecoyote
06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
its not an expensive swap if you just get an k24a4 or a k24a1 and pass on Kpro.

with a good rate on labor and all parts you could see this installed for less than $2,000. If you can afford that without risking your college stability... then go for it.

nos4mao
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
well c the thing is my tuition is paid for!!!!.. also where I work I get paid 7.25 and have been diligently saving my money...I found the k24a1 swap for $1300 shipped on k20a site. Is that a good deal?. It seems to me like that is a pretty good deal to me.

Gilmour
06-13-2008, 05:20 AM
college

A swap would be a well deserved graduation gift to yourself.

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 06:40 AM
College...I wish I had done so. I played it car and now college and I regret it.

thechromecoyote
06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
well c the thing is my tuition is paid for!!!!.. also where I work I get paid 7.25 and have been diligently saving my money...I found the k24a1 swap for $1300 shipped on k20a site. Is that a good deal?. It seems to me like that is a pretty good deal to me.

Thats pretty much the going rate for a good condition k24a1 around here to. You CAN find cheaper, but if its from Papi or Nikos they are guaranteed to work vs something you might get from "some dude."

The reason I said its going to cost you around $2000, is because of the other factors involved. You need: Type S Spec Raceheader ($200-400) or custom downpipe ($50-150 at most shops to alter your current one), Type S injectors ($50-100 on forums), and then the labor for the swap itself. The cheapest Ive seen quoted for me was in the $500 ish range. If you have an engine hoist, a couple mechanically inclined friends and the gumption, obviously you can do this yourself for cheaper.

If youve saved enough for that and your tuition is paid for... I dont see there being a huge problem. Its not like you are giving up one for the other.

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 08:11 AM
If he keeps the ep3 ecu and gets 310cc injectors the RH will put make him run lean. He would have to lose the front sway and keep the stock header and cat...

thechromecoyote
06-13-2008, 08:19 AM
If he keeps the ep3 ecu and gets 310cc injectors the RH will put make him run lean. He would have to lose the front sway and keep the stock header and cat...

the ever evolving experiment :first:

I thought that with 310's it puts the k24a1 into perfect alignment with the k20a3 running specifications?

If you could put a type S RH on an a3 and still have it run acceptably lean, then why is it different on the k24a1 with larger injectors?

Gilmour
06-13-2008, 08:27 AM

^ Stuff you won't learn in College, unless your taking the EP K24a swap 101, and theroy course. OP if you need any info on the swap just read davis's paper.:mbiggrin:

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
the ever evolving experiment :first:

I thought that with 310's it puts the k24a1 into perfect alignment with the k20a3 running specifications?

If you could put a type S RH on an a3 and still have it run acceptably lean, then why is it different on the k24a1 with larger injectors?

Well with the extra displacement the k24 has it is going to make more power per mod than the a3...considerably more power per mod. The RH lets too much unburnt gas out of the cylinders causing it to dance the line between lean and ok. I know that with an intake and catback the k24 runs lean so I'm guessing that RH would come pretty close to the same:faint2:

EPSU3
06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm going into my 5th year of college.(second degree, not failing!) When I graduated HS I went out and bought my prelude for $10k. Junior year of college the prelude pooped the bed and I got the EP. 7.5k trade in from the lude plus $6k from my grandfather got me the EP. I then used extra student loan money for mods. My point is college finances are unpredictable. One year I spent $10k, the next year only 800. Get some scholarships, do good work and you'll find the money.

thechromecoyote
06-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Well with the extra displacement the k24 has it is going to make more power per mod than the a3...considerably more power per mod. The RH lets too much unburnt gas out of the cylinders causing it to dance the line between lean and ok. I know that with an intake and catback the k24 runs lean so I'm guessing that RH would come pretty close to the same:faint2:

Okay! makes sense to me!

Another option is the RSX-S Header-Cat-Midpipe swap. The header is longer than the EP3 one and the downpipe is longer. So it might be able to clear without removing the sway.

RedSiBaron
06-13-2008, 09:06 AM
ive done everything ive done to my car while in college...if you want to work on your car in college you need to budget and save money, take all that money you throw around on bullshit (everyone wastes money in college) and save it for your car...you should go with a k24...that sounds like a good plan

nos4mao
06-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Alright guys!!!!... I think I will do the swap some time this summer?.... the only problem I have is the custom fitting I will have to do. Like for example I have the Greddy Ti-C and absolutely love it and don't want to get rid of it! What will I have to do keep it? Also should I keep my Injen SR or should I get the RSX-S CAI. Also I dont want to get a RH since I have a thing for the envirnment. What header is recommended for this swap? Sorry for all the nooby questions!!..lol

Thanks,
Matt

thisisagame24
06-13-2008, 09:23 AM
i would def wait untill done with college mang.....enjoy your time there. having extra money there is always a big plus. having to live off of ramen for months just to mod your car is over kil IMO. relax get your work done and enjoy your reliable gas friendly ep haha.

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 09:58 AM
As far a header goes I totally agree with Senor coyote on the rsx header/cat/midpipe:first:

02nhbpep3
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Go for it, and if you do deal with Papituyo "Dave" I just ordered my k24a1 this morning from him, great guy to deal with.

davisj3537
06-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Bump for Dave. He gives really good blowjobs too:sorry:

clujalolo
06-14-2008, 12:15 AM
i was going to buy the k24a1 before i started college, but i decided to wait....cus i wanted to have money for gas and such. but now that im almost finished (1.5 months) i will be swapping this thing i suffered since i bought the car and needs a swap badly.

groovezog
06-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Swap it! You won't regret it. Plus college women dig fast cars.

AUTiger
06-21-2008, 04:51 PM
if you have the money and are not afraid about college expenses then by all means I say get it. Only because I would have the fear that in 4-5 yrs the number of reliable low mileage k24a1's laying around will be small. CRV's are grocery getters and will start to log miles fast. Unless of course, Honda keeps using the engine in newer models.

clizoman
06-22-2008, 04:06 PM

1300 is not bad. just make it reliable. and dont go crazy cuz when youre in college....emergencies suck.

clizoman
06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

1300 is not bad. just make it reliable. and dont go crazy cuz when youre in college....emergencies suck.

Heitzke
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
IMO, if you have a good deal of extra money, then go for it. Just realize you will have lots of expenses in college besides tuition. Also, don't let car stuff limit what you can do in college. You can blow money on car shit for your entire life after you're done with school.