PDA

View Full Version : I need advice, suspension is messed up.

frankjones
06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone. I need some advice. 4 years ago I had H&R springs installed along with Koni Yellows for a 2 inch drop on my 2002 Civic SI. For awhile I had no major problems. I think the camber is screwed up, which caused the rear tires to wear prematurely, but that was about it.

But now the entire rear of the car seems about 1-2 inches too low. I can't go over speed bumps and I am constantly dinging the undercarriage on things. The handling seems off too.

I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to this stuff. I expected to get more than 40,000 miles out of the spring and shocks, but it certainly looks like they are shot. If anyone has any useful advice, pleae let me know. Here is a photo of the front and the rear. The rear used to look exactly like the front.

civictype_r04
06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I agree the struts are probably blown. I would invest in some coilovers.

jdm_ep3
06-13-2008, 04:41 PM
if the shocks are not blown then its the springs. sometimes springs tends to sagg after time.

frankjones
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
thanks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another explanation. My friend told me it had to be either the shocks or the springs.

Coilovers would be nice but right now I can barely afford new springs.
How much does a set of coilovers cost?

Drew1d
06-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you have a rear camber kit? (adjustable upper arm?) You may want to think about it if your changing the rear struts.

goy091
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
looks like the dampers are broken. i havent seen a set of springs sag that low after initial install. check to see if any fluid is leaking for the damper body.

frankjones
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't know what dampers are, but I have not seen any leakage.

What is a rasonable price to pay for installation of new srear prings and shocks?

Drew1d
06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't know what dampers are, but I have not seen any leakage.

What is a rasonable price to pay for installation of new srear prings and shocks?
By Damper they mean shocks. A quick way to check is to bounce the car up and down and see if the rear returns after a bump and a half (Good) or just continues to go up and down. (Bad)

I would think if you have Koni's and they're blown, don't they have some warranty? As for the labor, it will probably be between $125 and All-Out Butt Rape.

Probably, a lot of people will chime in and tell you to do it yourself. And while you don't have to mess with a tie rod, or have axles fall out on you (Unlike the front) the rear shock bolt, (the bolt holding the bottom of the shock in place with the car) is a pain to get out. If you choose to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and start soaking (And I mean soak) it everyday with liquid wrench. (For at least a week)

Good luck.

frankjones
06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I bounced the rear of the car, and I would say it stopped bouncing after a bounce or two.

cube@k20a.us
06-17-2008, 11:18 AM
yeah my setup is no good now either... and still doesn't bounce when u push it down
its not your springs, get some new adjustable shocks or a full coilover

i am thinking about trying out the skunk2 pro s coils

dichotomous
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
he HAS adjustable dampers, they seem to be blown. though, with that much sag, I can't belive its the dampers, they dont hold up the car unless the mount sheared off, and considering how tough those things were when I had them 3/4 of the way cut through with a sawzall and beating on them with a large iron pipe and 10lb sledge.... thats just not likely. though, my springs were actually broken, and my rear looked like that....

but yeah, I can't see how that would be from blown shocks, dead springs maybe, but not shocks unless you jumped it off a large cliff several times

BlackEP9
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM
But now the entire rear of the car seems about 1-2 inches too low. I can't go over speed bumps and I am constantly dinging the undercarriage on things. The handling seems off too.
If anyone has any useful advice, pleae let me know. Here is a photo of the front and the rear. The rear used to look exactly like the front.

Hey, you know I am having the same problem and was just going to post it, except I bought Tokico adjustables with Neuspeed Sport Springs NEW only about 1 1/2 yrs ago and have drivern only about 7k miles. If I remember right, it used to look the same but the rear started to slowly drop so it looks like yours, sitting on the tire.

Personally I think its more likely to be a problem with the springs...

BlackEP9
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I checked with a tech guy at Neuspeed and he told me what I had originally thought might be the problem.

The bumper-stops you got with your struts may have degraded. Buy some factory ones and put those on. Looks like we are going to be doing the same thing..

dichotomous
06-18-2008, 06:32 AM
bullpoo, the nuespeed springs have sagged, as mine have, I pulled them off and the bumpstops were in perfect condition, even though they likely have been most of the spring for a while, the driver side rear spring was broken in 2 places, the pass side was just horribly weak, felt like a front spring.

NUESPEED DROP SPRINGS WILL SAG AND BREAK, they are not designed right, have way too weak spring rates AND drop at the same time. I'm trying to pull the pictures I took in here but photobucket.com at the moment is just an advertisement for a webhosting company and not a useable website

BlackEP9
06-19-2008, 01:46 AM
bullpoo, the nuespeed springs have sagged, as mine have, I pulled them off and the bumpstops were in perfect condition, even though they likely have been most of the spring for a while, the driver side rear spring was broken in 2 places, the pass side was just horribly weak, felt like a front spring.

NUESPEED DROP SPRINGS WILL SAG AND BREAK, they are not designed right, have way too weak spring rates AND drop at the same time. I'm trying to pull the pictures I took in here but photobucket.com at the moment is just an advertisement for a webhosting company and not a useable website

well that's bad news, what did you do?

dichotomous
06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
well that's bad news, what did you do?

I just barely replaced the springs.

BlackEP9
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
with what?