PDA

View Full Version : Which Suspension do you reccomend?

k-powered
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Full coilover kits

Skunk2
D2
Progressive
Megan
Function and Forum
Tein-Street damper

for daily driving and road racing

or Mugen struts and lowering springs-less of a drop but mugen

EPSpeedKing
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Progressive?? Do you mean Progress?? I would go with Progress out of the group.

ep_hatcher_510
06-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Mugen SS or progress. or a shock/spring combo.

oinojo
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
ground control springs (eibach) and Koni Yellow Sport shocks:mwink:

mustclime
06-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Full coilover kits

Skunk2
D2
Progressive
Megan
Function and Forum
Tein-Street damper

read this.....

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=564642

then read this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=569763

then forget about F&F, skunk2 and d2 because of the spring rates....you need stiffer springs in the rear with our suspension sesign and those shocks do not have it.

when you are saying "the track"...what do you mean? 1/4 or autoX/track days?

phister
06-14-2008, 11:29 AM
if i was a baller I'd get the Moton Clubsport Dampers w Eibach Springs or Swift springs with tenders springs.

k20z1
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
tein or
megan

liquid cooled
06-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Im very happy with my tein FLEX

koi_killa
06-14-2008, 08:38 PM
x2 for motons

otherwise spring/struts. dont bother with d2, function forum, blah blah blah

oldskoofame
06-14-2008, 10:43 PM
meganracing

krntiger
06-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Full coilover kits

Skunk2
D2
Progressive
Megan
Function and Forum
Tein-Street damper

another question is how is your daily drive, what is your level of comfort, driving style and budget. these are all good choices and everyone will have an opinion but until you give this information our recommendations, even though awsome they are doesnt mean that they are the best for you. each one has a positive and a negative.

based on road racing, tein has bling and wow factor but i think a cheap set up with koni yellows matched with sutable springs or even tokico d-specs ( i have ) are great options. i like the tokicos the best because of adjustability, i drive 120 miles a day but drive like an asshole, but i still like the drivability. answer these questions above and i think that your answers after that will be better suited to your needs. good luck with the search.

PK

ep_hatcher_510
06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
meganracing

flat arms FTW

Heitzke
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
meganracing

You had those coilovers for a while, right? What were your impressions and what did you have for spring rates?

oldskoofame
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
You had those coilovers for a while, right? What were your impressions and what did you have for spring rates?

a year ago (which was when I had them and experimented a bunch of things), customer service was horrible (i'm sure it improved by now). Anyways, let's talk about the coilovers itself.

For the price, it's excellent. As long as you know how to properly tune it with other suspension components, it will perform to ur expectations. The only problem I had was the perches. It kept on getting loose, so I had to apply loctite (which was hard to release when I wanted to adjust the ride height). There was a rumor that 3 perches will keep it tight, but that obviously doesn't work (if u think about it, it's a pretty stupid thought/rumor). I changed it to the straight arm due to 1 reason: because I was picking up rebuild parts and I just happen to be @ meganracing warehouse with some left over cash. But it's good that all the current versions have the straight arm. You can now get more camber and more turning (for daily drive).

The struts are great. Just watch for huge potholes and stuff. Rebuilding these are like LEGOS (it's cheap, satisfying, and easy - besides taking it off your car).

When I had meganracing coilovers, I had the comptech 26mm bar in the rear. I wish I had an LSD to make things better + a thinner front sway bar to make the coilovers perform at the best (I had 10kg and 12kg front/rear).

Aftermarket camber kits (like SPC) will not work. The place on the coilovers where the Camber bolts go aren't big enough for the bolts to fit. As far as I can remember, I think meganracing provides their own bolts, but they aren't camber bolts.

Just be detailed in the setup if you are trying to make your moneys worth. Measure things ahead.
just like any other coilovers out there, if u know what u are doing with it and u treat it right, it'll be a positive experience.

Everytime the perches got loose, the camber and toe would change. I would have to measure things again and again and redo everything. It got annoying. But I don't really hear too many people these days complaining about the perches. The thing is, meganracing (or any companies out there that make coilovers for ep3s) can't do anything about it. IT's the whole mcpherson suspension geometry that ruins everything on our fwd ep3

Heitzke
06-15-2008, 03:37 PM
loooong post

Sweet, thanks for the detailed review. I see that the standard springs on the EP version are 8k/10k, can they be ordered with 10k/12k or did you just swap out the 8/10k?

oldskoofame
06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet, thanks for the detailed review. I see that the standard springs on the EP version are 8k/10k, can they be ordered with 10k/12k or did you just swap out the 8/10k?

i'm not sure if they can be ORDERED WITH those springs. What I did was just buy the coilover and whatever comes with the package; and then I got higher spring rates for it (paid separately). They don't recommend upgrading springs +-2kg. If you want to go higher, you can mix-match the rsx struts (just change the struts - as if u are rebuilding). but might say no because of the warranty and stuff.

k-powered
06-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys so far I am looking toward Megan, Skunk2 and Possibly Mugen