PDA

View Full Version : k24a1 with a2 head reliability and other questions?

DericSh
06-14-2008, 07:37 AM
1)whats the reliability on a frank like this? You always hear about the old lsvtec motors being unreliable so I was just wondering.

2)Ill be going with the 5 speed to save that cash flow. with the low redline will i be disappointed in this and feel like the vtec is worthless?

3)i assume a good tune can move the vtec down to a lower rpm and make the car much better?? but will the rsx reflash be ok until i can get to louisiana for a tune?

4)Can you still use ep3 innovative mounts but just can use the fancy bracket for the pass side right? gotta use a crv one.

5)who has a short block for sale?!!

2004ep3hatch
06-14-2008, 11:13 AM
from what i hear its good reliability. no you deff not be disappointed. you make you power alot lower also so you dont need to rev that high. i like it better.

the last 3 questions, i dont know!

JP_909
06-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I put around 12xxx miles on my frank and ran perfect!!!!

thechromecoyote
06-14-2008, 12:06 PM
You have kpro Im assuming, for number #3, you are better off running the EP3 map w/ 310 injectors (which you are going to want anyways so its not a useless purchase) and manually raise the vtec threshold yourself in Kpro before you set out on the road. Keep it below that new threshold and you should be okay enough to travel for a tune.

of course Davis is the k24a master here, so Ill await his reply for authentication. :mangel:

Emerica459
06-15-2008, 04:35 AM
didnt he say he was goin to run an A2 head, so he wouldnt use the ep3 base map? I would think he would use a k24a2 base map to get it running right?

2004ep3hatch
06-15-2008, 05:48 AM
didnt he say he was goin to run an A2 head, so he wouldnt use the ep3 base map? I would think he would use a k24a2 base map to get it running right?

yea thats true. i just edited my answer.

dobbs02si
06-15-2008, 07:57 AM
All imma say is ask guardian..hes making in the mid 400 whp range on a stock bottom end..nuff said.

DericSh
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
oh so tsx tune

thechromecoyote
06-15-2008, 08:34 PM

You could just run the TSX map bc its 2.4L and has 3 lobe vtech, but here are my thoughts.

If you use either the RSX or TSX map you are running a map based on higher compression than the setup is actually running. You can just raise the vtec crossover of any map yourself. Keeping your RPMs below that will ensure you dont trigger the 3 lobe vtec until you get it tuned.

But I guess that driving it short distances with a higher compression, higher fuel map wouldnt kill the engine either.

Emerica459
06-16-2008, 04:27 AM
You could just run the TSX map bc its 2.4L and has 3 lobe vtech, but here are my thoughts.

If you use either the RSX or TSX map you are running a map based on higher compression than the setup is actually running. You can just raise the vtec crossover of any map yourself. Keeping your RPMs below that will ensure you dont trigger the 3 lobe vtec until you get it tuned.

But I guess that driving it short distances with a higher compression, higher fuel map wouldnt kill the engine either.

Only thing is if he raises the vtec point on the A1 map it still doesnt match the dynamics of the engine. That map is set to to run on 3 valves until vtec then 4 valves after so the fuel wouldnt match his high lift cam portion. It would be all off. So the closest base map would seem to be the k24a2.

davisj3537
06-16-2008, 08:34 AM
1)whats the reliability on a frank like this? You always hear about the old lsvtec motors being unreliable so I was just wondering.

2)Ill be going with the 5 speed to save that cash flow. with the low redline will i be disappointed in this and feel like the vtec is worthless?

3)i assume a good tune can move the vtec down to a lower rpm and make the car much better?? but will the rsx reflash be ok until i can get to louisiana for a tune?

4)Can you still use ep3 innovative mounts but just can use the fancy bracket for the pass side right? gotta use a crv one.

5)who has a short block for sale?!!

1.Yeah the old lsvtec frank is a bitch to get right...the k series are way easier and bullet proof compared the lsvtec.

2.Of course I reccomend the 6spd for accelleration and gas mileage...but you will still love it with the 5spd.

3.Tune is everything...what else can I say here. You cannot do this without kpro period. I'd say start with a type s map and add 15% fuel till you get tuned.

4.Yeah you can use the ep3 innovatives. The crv mount replaces a different part of the mount so you can use all your innovatives.

5. You mother...:tape:

DericSh
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
well i already have kpro so thats good to go. thanks for the comments guys