PDA

View Full Version : midpipe or headers?

pjnoto
06-14-2008, 05:35 PM
what do you guys think will give me a greater power gain. a midpipe or headers?

Princess
06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
our car only has one header, not two
if you don't want to attract police attention just go for the midpipe

pjnoto
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
thanks for that correction but you didnt answer my question

T-MacK
06-14-2008, 07:26 PM
thanks for that correction but you didnt answer my question

Pretty simple answer if you search!

Princess
06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
your answer is a header

but really on a stock engine messing with the exhaust isn't going to give you much gains. You will lose power in the low range and gain some in the middle to high range. So if you are doing stop and go driving, mostly, then you will be slower than stock. You will be a lot louder though.

dasc4
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
simple...header

davisj3537
06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I say get a smaller midpipe and that would benefit you more than anything else....seriously if you search you will see how.:sad:

illusionsoflife
07-11-2008, 02:28 AM
you will loose power. trust me. down low power that is. i got a header and test pipe cause my stock header was screwed and my cat was cracked. i got a megan header and test pipe for less than 100 both parts used. car is so freaking loud im so scared of getting pulled over but i havnt. its been a month. but once the turbo goes on im going back to my custom 70mm exhaust straight to stock cat. really quiet.

T_Virus
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
lol...of course test pipe, mid pipe to 70mm exhaust is going to be loud on a n/a...

epshtielsl
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Uhh.....I don't know what everyone is talking about with reguards to the header. I used to run a DCRH with the stock exhaust and it was not lound AT ALL. Not even raspy. It sounded pretty good actually. You people are nuts, have any of you even heard a race header on a stock cat back? :mrolleyes:

If you decide to change anything in your exhaust to increase flow you will lose some of the bottom end. This was the first thing I noticed when I first drove it after installation, but the gains up top were more than enough to make up for it. I say get the race header. DCRH makes a pretty decent budget header that gives good gains. The OBX RSX spec header is cheap and performs really well too, but you will need an RSX spec midpipe to be able to run it.

Mr ShinSmasher
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I ran a Jackson Racing race header with stock catback for about a year(+JRSC-R). The car sounded great. It was quiet, and just a little deeper than stock. When I got a Neuspeed cat back to go with the header, that is when things started to get loud, and to be honest, my butt dyno couldn't tell the difference.

Mr_Safeway
07-26-2008, 09:07 PM
does anyone have a clip of between the difference in noises of stock and a headerbeing put on...i plan on buying this...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Mugen-Exhaust-Manifold-Header-DC5-Integra-Type-R-EP3-Civic-Type-R-CL7-Accord-Euro-R-53698#

and i'm curious will it make a humongous difference in noise? I am going to put the twin loop mugen on as well...

wishbear
08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
i think you should go midpipe

shadowmd
08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
i think you should go midpipe

i vote midpipe as well because if i did get a header (hopefully it would be a race header because the shorties are worthless) it wouldn't help any because u would still hav e bottle neck at the midpipe. there is a saying "ur exhaust is only as big as the smallest part". so get a midpipe now, then get a race header after. i would rather have my exhaust go "small to big" then "big to small"

i just saw the link u posted for the mugen header.....s $2300 header is gonna do SHIT on an a3 lol. for less than 2k u could get a hytech custom made (best header u can get) but that would even be a HUGE waste on the a3. i would just get a DCRH if i were you.

T_Virus
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
$2300 should go towards swap...

magmagik 1
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM
If I was you, that money would go toward either boost or a swap.

RTE117
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
If you pay $2300 for a header, you are a moron.

You want to know why? N/A lacks, especially in an I4; moreover in a heavy, full trim car; and finally, on a nearly stock K20A3 engine.

I ran an almost identical setup with my GS-R Civic with a guy's GS-R. Our difference was he had a DC 4-1 and I ran an AN-R 4-1. My header, new, was $400ish more and guess what? It made maybe 6-7 peak WHP over the DC.

(I only used it because I got it dirt ass cheap on a trade btw.) :mcool:

What is it with people on this site and buying really expensive shit that does nothing but cost money?

It's like an epidemic here. I really have a hard time believing people are that stupid, but I'm losing faith.

SandBagger
11-03-2010, 06:17 AM
why do people try to make something it is not. run a simple rh, test pipe and 2.5" exhaust on a K20a3...

T_Virus
11-04-2010, 08:51 PM
way to bump a 2 year old thread. Yay...

SandBagger
11-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I plan to bump every thread I can..I need enough posts to sell here. You should understand with your post whoring known to ALL...lol

I am a New world Samari Newbie....Your Bruce ain't bouty bouty..

revned3182
04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
my ep3 currently has aem cai + HP header with stock mid-pipe.
Because of an 02 sensor problem, ive recently changed my catalytic converter to an aftermarket brand, but it is a direct fitment.

anyways, the car is already loud because the resonator had been deleted.
but i love the deep tone it has

my cousin is getting his k24 swapped in plus turbo,
and he is giving me his old 2.25" mid-pipe.
it'll cost me 60 bucks to have it installed.

he says it'll sound a lot deeper.

Will i gain or lose anything from this?

upinsmokep
07-18-2012, 01:18 AM
this might be a stupid question i'm not sure,
if i get the rsx-s dcrh do i have to get the o2 sensor as well? or just wire extensions for mine?
thx

lemonhead228
07-23-2012, 06:15 AM
this might be a stupid question i'm not sure,
if i get the rsx-s dcrh do i have to get the o2 sensor as well? or just wire extensions for mine?
thx

You prolly just need an extension. What midpipe you gonna he running?

upinsmokep
07-26-2012, 02:18 AM
04 rsx-s