PDA

View Full Version : problem with new suspension

krntiger
06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
so alright, i got my new suspension in including ground control ep specific shocks and tokico d spec struts it handles great and its a mod that i would recommend to anyone. hower im having a problem, i dont know if it is clearence or it is just something hitting something under th car but in card cornering on an uneven turn my car tends to have a big hitting noice sounding like somthing hitting the lower control arm or something. note that i dont have any aftermarket sways or anything else on the car. i don think the sound is a scrapping sound but it definately hitting something. im only dropped 1.25 all around witht the ground controls in an 05 ep which is low for me but its a wierd sound . not only that i keep on getting a wierd sound in the rear struts something like little squeaks , is that normal? im thinking its because i dlont have the rear strut covers on but my gut says its something else. it kind of sound the same when i had to replace my busted front strut mount where the ball bearing went out. if there is anyone with any insight it would be much appreciated.

PK

mustclime
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
sounds like something is loose, I would start by pulling the wheels and checking all the bolts that were touched....

krntiger
06-15-2008, 11:24 AM
sounds like something is loose, I would start by pulling the wheels and checking all the bolts that were touched....

i will do. thanks for the input.

ep_hatcher_510
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Check and re-check, make sure you torque everything to spec

ljoey
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
how much did u buy it?

krntiger
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
how much did u buy it?

got the struts for around 650 and the springs cant remember insuranc paid for all of it lol. just for a busted front strut mount they gave me 1400 lolz

civictype_r04
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
got the struts for around 650 and the springs cant remember insuranc paid for all of it lol. just for a busted front strut mount they gave me 1400 lolz

Good deal.

Drew1d
06-17-2008, 05:13 AM
If the car has been in an accident, it truely can be anything. You have to narrow down where the noise is coming from.

pynikal
06-17-2008, 05:51 AM
i have this same issue with mine and its not lowered yet. i took wheels and stuff off last night after work and found nothing loose. i am very confused as to what is happening hear. im going to put chasiss ears on it today and see if i can isolate something.

i looked for signs of rubbing on everything that moves but couldnt find anything maybe try that. :noidea::mmph:

krntiger
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
If the car has been in an accident, it truely can be anything. You have to narrow down where the noise is coming from.

well the thing is i had the accident in the front pass side , i replaced the lower control arm and the upper strut mount but nothing other than that. i have had the shop put on the struts and everything but i havent found the time to go back and have them take a look. god forgive my apathy. so there really shouldnt be any problems with the rear driver side strut, other than something is loose.

ALSO, im also getting something hitting when i take a turn real hard around corners. something in the front left and right side. its only when the front load shift majorly to either front sides. something is hitting, its not a scraping sound but its a bump. but then again this is hard turning when the surface is uneven. example. when your taking a right turn and the right side of the turn is a higher level than the left side of the lane. so the car is loading on the left side and that is where the sound is coming from. if anyone is having this kind of problem please shout it out, its bugging the crap out of me. i think it may be a sway or something hitting but dont know.

Drew1d
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
i think it may be a sway or something hitting but dont know.

I'll tell you a quick anecdote, I had my car with tokico D's and skunk2 coil overs. I bought the parts months in advance and had a friend of a friend install them.

Shortly afterwards I started having problems with banging and the steering was messed up. I raised and lowered my car many times to find new problems cropping up. I tried many remedys with limited success.

the major of the problems, First the coilovers weren't mounted to the damper properly, secondly, the dampers were for an RSX, and the FOAF put smaller bolts in and tightened them to all hell, and they would slip after a while and wreck the alignment.

I tried many things before the car got set right. In hind sight, some of the problem was lack of communication, but mostly my own fault. (For not checking the parts before the install) BUT, the morale of the story is, without knowing truely what the problem is, you have little hope to fix it.

Take some time to find the exact problem. Many people may suggest the causes of your troubles, (Which some may be right) but that's still a swap and pray situation.

Good luck to you. :mcool:

shadowmd
06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
i just ordered my d-specs yesterday and gonna transfer my progress springs to them. lookin to get ground controls soon

BlackEP9
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
I had a similiar problem but it was in the rear wheels going around corners..turns out after I got my new rota rims the positioning of the weights when the balanced it would hit the control arms. They had to re-balance it with this in consideration for it to not hit, but...it still hits when I take passengers in the back.

krntiger
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
i just ordered my d-specs yesterday and gonna transfer my progress springs to them. lookin to get ground controls soon

my recommendations is to get them if you arnt looking for something that is really stiff. htye are good overall but i wish i went stiffer looking back at it.

krntiger
06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I had a similiar problem but it was in the rear wheels going around corners..turns out after I got my new rota rims the positioning of the weights when the balanced it would hit the control arms. They had to re-balance it with this in consideration for it to not hit, but...it still hits when I take passengers in the back.

then again i havent gotten my car re alighted since i was going to get a camber kit,... just got lazy though. you think that thats the problem? i was guessing something was hitting the lower control arms.

shadowmd
06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Well they came in today and are going on when i get off work. should be on my car around 7:30ish. i will do a review tomorrow

Si Death
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
yo paul, my suspension made a whole bunch of noise and then I tore it all apart and re torqued everything to factory spec and it went away. Maybe overkill just tightened to what they thought was correct and not factory specs??