PDA

View Full Version : got a flat =[

proudtobeawesom
06-15-2008, 10:35 AM
i got a flat today

and after i changed my tires i drove and my abs and my ebrake light came on

i didnt notice anything hanging when i changed my rims

could it be because i put 14's on the front and my 17's on the back

and when i turn off my car and turn it back on it doesnt come back for a min or two

~kevin

Draw7Seven
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I have no idea what kind of sensor would set off lights on your dash when you have that wheel configuration, but I would get that right first, THEN see if it happens.

proudtobeawesom
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
i got 17's all around again anyone know what would cause

the abs llight and the ebrake light to come on a lil bit after i start driving???

~kevin

spike 03EP3
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Maybe your flat tire knocked the ABS wheel sensor out of alignment?

si4life
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
damn that sucks man. good luck getting it fixed.

i got a flat today

and after i changed my tires i drove and my abs and my ebrake light came on

i didnt notice anything hanging when i changed my rims

and when i turn off my car and turn it back on it doesnt come back for a min or two

~kevin

Lucid Moments
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I think that is the problem. You are going to have the tires rotating at different speeds, and that is going to drive your ABS nuts.

i got 17's all around again anyone know what would cause

the abs llight and the ebrake light to come on a lil bit after i start driving???

Are all your tires the same size though?

soncep
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
You ABS Ecu checks the wheel speeds when you hit the brakes and makes sure they all turn at roughly the same speed. If your wheels are not the same diameter then you might have fron wheels spinning a little faster the the rear ones. When the ECU sees this, it gives out a code to let you know that something is fishy with the system.

Fix your flat and put back the same diameter wheels everywhere and you will be ok.

Check this link to understand.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
185/60-14 4.4in 11.4in 22.7in 71.4in 887 0.0%
195/55-15 4.2in 11.7in 23.4in 73.7in 860 3.1%

proudtobeawesom
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
any reason why the (emergency)BRAKE light comes on too???

~kevin

soncep
07-02-2008, 05:15 PM
The e-brake light comes one to let you know there is a problem with your brakes... Ex: If your brake fluid is low.

Fix your flat... what's the big deal with a flat? cost 10$ to fix or 150$ for a tire. ;)

spike 03EP3
07-03-2008, 05:55 AM
You ABS Ecu checks the wheel speeds when you hit the brakes and makes sure they all turn at roughly the same speed. If your wheels are not the same diameter then you might have fron wheels spinning a little faster the the rear ones. When the ECU sees this, it gives out a code to let you know that something is fishy with the system.

Are you sure about this? I had a flat on my car a while ago and had the little donut spare on for a day or two with no ABS light. Maybe when both wheels are smaller it happens?

soncep
07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Are you sure about this? I had a flat on my car a while ago and had the little donut spare on for a day or two with no ABS light. Maybe when both wheels are smaller it happens?

Your stock spare matches the diameter of the stock wheels.

spike 03EP3
07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Your stock spare matches the diameter of the stock wheels.

I have 17" wheels. I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious why wheel size would play a factor in this. I could see the problem if the EP3 had traction control, but I thought the ABS didn't even activate unless it senses a wheel locking up? :noidea:

Besides, no matter what tire size you have, when you make a sharp turn, your outside wheel spins faster than the inside wheel.

proudtobeawesom
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
The e-brake light comes one to let you know there is a problem with your brakes... Ex: If your brake fluid is low.

Fix your flat... what's the big deal with a flat? cost 10$ to fix or 150$ for a tire. ;)

i know i need to replace my fronts i hope thats it

it sucks cause i need to sell it but i need to fix it first =[

~kevin