PDA

View Full Version : question bout suspension

r3p00c
11-18-2002, 07:16 AM
Ok... I don't know a whole lot when it comes to suspension, so bare with me here.

I've heard people saying on here that if you just put springs on your car, you'll blow your stock shocks within a few months... but when I look at profiles for other cars, I rarely see that people have a complete aftermarket spring/shock setup. Does it have to do with the type of spring you buy? And can someone explain to me what the difference between springs and coilovers is?

I plan to do a full suspension job when I put 17's on my ep... can anyone recommend a good combo? It won't be until after winter, so it can be products that aren't out yet...

Thanks everyone... I appreciate your help with this.

silver ep
11-18-2002, 07:23 AM
I think its safe to say that no matter what springs you get you always need to also get aftermarket shocks (even with ProKits)

Im going with a Progress springs and Tokico shocks, but Im sure others on here can also give you some good advice on combinations or coilovers that work for them

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2002, 09:57 AM
putting aftermarket lowring springs shortens shock life, but depends on how low and what brand of springs u get. general rule of thumb is the lower u go the faster ur shocks will wear. I however live i an area where there is a good amount of potholes and have had eibach sportlines since 4/10/02. Point is, my shocks are fine and no problems in sight (so far). So at this time my recomendation would have to be Eibach sportlines with (KYB, Koni, or Tokico) which ever one releases a shock for our car;)

EP33
11-18-2002, 10:24 AM
IMHO, if you're having a shop do the install wait (and save) until we get some decent aftermarket struts for our cars on the market. It sucks to do something twice. I'm waiting on aftermarket struts (hopefully Bilstein but Spoon has them now) before I get lowered springs installed. Tein makes coil overs (FLEX TYPE), but damn they're expensive and they don't recommend them for use on the road. I don't want to spend thousands, only to fluckem up???

moeman
11-18-2002, 11:12 AM
just received an email from a guy at koni, this is what he said:

"The part numbers you'll need for your Civic Si are
Front: 8641 1416 Sport
Rear: 8041 1281 Sport

These are both adjustable externally with a knob. The front is an insert that reuses the factory strut housing. A general set of instructions can be found on our website at www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf. These part numbers are available from any of our dealers. Please try the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com or 888-378-8473) or ASI (www.shox.com or 800-683-2890). Thanks for writing."

so it looks like we have at least one brand, for now.
m

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2002, 04:03 PM
cool-good info

r3p00c
11-19-2002, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the info... can someone tackle the question about the difference in springs and coilovers for me?

ssvr6
11-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Springs are just that, coilovers are adjustable in height and have shocks built into them (at least in good applications).

Steve

silver ep
11-19-2002, 07:56 AM
If you just get coilover sleeves like ground controls you will definately need shocks

If you get ull coilovers like Apex-i WS or Tein SS, Flex they have shocks built in, they are very expensive but clearly the best way to go for ride quality and adjustability